Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM

21 posts, read 70,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
Have a moving sale and leave with just the clothes on your back. O.K, 2 sets of clothes. You'll need something clean for the job interview.

Well I am moving home to Oregon and hope to leave Alaska with more than just the clothes on my back. I am having garage sales (yes) to get rid of things I no longer need and taking the most valuables on the plane with me. I am selling my car because it's just too expensive to drive and in Oregon cars are much cheaper than Alaska. I've read of too many horror stories on the Alcan. Plus, I am a woman alone with a cat. I've already posted on Craigslist for apartments. Rent is so cheap in Oregon compared to Alaska. Selling my car and getting my deposit from my apartment should help me move.

LOL. The cheapest way to move would be I guess to get rid of "everything" but you need things to start over. I just don't want to leave behind nice things. I've had garage sales before and people just want to rip you off. Especially women. They are the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 30,220 times
OMG terrible. Im moving from chicago to san diego at the end of the summer and after reading this forum I checked their site. when i moved out here i gave up half my posesions and drove cross country with only what i could fit into my 99 mustange softtop. i have more stuff going out including my kids toys and cloths. I checked the site they dont give any price quote past july right now.. ites almost april.... and with less things to move than the average couple or family I just set a july day on a discounted weekday for a ballpark price, it was quoted at $2200 on the MOST DISCOUNTED day...I could load up my car with non replaceable items and buy everything back on that end for less than that. actualy what im thinking of doing is having a family member come out with me in thier explorer to get as much as i can out there and just paying thier whole way.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM

107 posts, read 287,166 times
Renting a truck that has enough horse power to tow your car (should you decide to bring it) is your cheapest option short of a yard sale with a new arrival shopping spree. After having gotten rid of most of what you own you will be surprised to discover how many items you do not feel the need to re-buy.

My husband and I moved from MA to CA temporarily and chose to store everything for our return back east and bring only what our car could carry, as we were quoted $5000-$7000 for one set of bunks with mattresses, one electric keyboard, and one antique side board.

good luck,
gracie

Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
We are struggling with this too. We're moving from Southern CA to PA, and finally decided to buy a used trailer as it is just as expensive as renting a u haul. That way we have somewhere to store our stuff until we find a house when we get there. Should be interesting with a three year old, a dog and three cats!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:13 PM

20 posts, read 78,457 times
There are alternatives. However, you have to understand that in the relocation business, there is no way to avoid substantial cost during the moving process. You can shop around for cheap prices, but as you know the expression, cheap always end up to be expensive, especially if you select scam movers that always low ball estimate to get you as a client and then end up taking advantage.
Just be cautious.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 29,785 times
Hey! The info on moving is good. I've been looking at trucks, and it's impossible!!!

Is there any way to fit three pieces of furnature into something smaller than a u-haul??? They won't fit in a van, because the third piece is big--a stunningly beautiful dining cabinet. I'm only saving those three pieces, clothes, and books. Is it safe to use the bed of a pick-up truck or two for the day drive??? I've never moved furnature long-distance without a truck before, so I'm not sure how best to do this...

Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemmick View Post
Hey! The info on moving is good. I've been looking at trucks, and it's impossible!!!

Is there any way to fit three pieces of furnature into something smaller than a u-haul??? They won't fit in a van, because the third piece is big--a stunningly beautiful dining cabinet. I'm only saving those three pieces, clothes, and books. Is it safe to use the bed of a pick-up truck or two for the day drive??? I've never moved furnature long-distance without a truck before, so I'm not sure how best to do this...
Wemmick, did you check on the cost of one of those open U-Haul trailers? If you just have 3 pieces, load them in one of these trailers, cover it with a good strong tarp, tied down with a half mile or so or rope. lol
I went to the U-Haul web site and have been playing around with the price page. I put in moving from San Fransisco to St. Louis, Mo, pulled by a 2000 Chevy S10 RWD pick up. You can get a 5' X 9' ramp trailer for $420. A 4' X 8' low rider trailer for the same trip is $315. Go to U-Haul: Your moving and self storage resource for truck rentals, trailers, self storage facilities, and moving supplies and check it out. Just a suggestion!

Have a safe trip!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 PM

20 posts, read 95,742 times
has anyone tried movex.com? its the same concept as abf u-pack, where tehy park a trailer in front of your place and you load it up yourself. and you're charged by how much space you need, like 6 feet deep or something. the quote i got was about 2000 to move a studio sized apt from LA to NYC. with ABF, it was 3900. im still trying to find better prices right now, but so far movex had the best deal.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 28,447 times
Will ABF unload the trailor at your destination?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 PM

22 posts, read 111,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czer View Post
has anyone tried movex.com? its the same concept as abf u-pack, where tehy park a trailer in front of your place and you load it up yourself. and you're charged by how much space you need, like 6 feet deep or something. the quote i got was about 2000 to move a studio sized apt from LA to NYC. with ABF, it was 3900. im still trying to find better prices right now, but so far movex had the best deal.
If you choose your move process using ABF and their Terminal to Terminal choice you save roughly half. This is of course you live near by one of their terminals. I figure if Peoria, Il. has a terminal in their vicinity then well, you get the picture. With that being said using ABF or like services is a good choice for a DIY'er who wants to move on the cheap. You have to bear this in mind about U-Haul and Budget. On top of the cost of renting their equipment and from my experience U-Haul doesn't always rent you their best. There is fuel cost and these rentals aren't the most fuel efficient this is true. I myself am planning a move back to the mid-west this Spring and after crunching the numbers with various choices out there I have chosen ABF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues