Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM

20 posts, read 78,459 times

Advertisements

When should I call a moving company?
The sooner, the better. Though the actual van assignment may not be made until a few days before your move, to assure availability it is wise to give your mover notice from four to six weeks in advance, if possible. The more lead-time you can give, the more likely we will be able to meet your preferred dates.
When is the best time to move?
If there is a choice, most moving companies suggest you select a time other than summer or the end of the month. The heaviest demands are placed on vans, equipment and personnel during the summer months (June through mid-September) when children are out of school and at the end of any month. The attached graph demonstrates the peak periods for the moving industry:

Your mover understands that there are many factors that influence your choice of when you move. We will help you design a move that will accommodate your busy schedule.
How long does it take to move?
That depends on many factors, including the time of year, weather conditions, time required to load and unload, and the direction and distance your shipment is traveling. With the help of a centralized dispatch system, pickup and delivery dates are scheduled according to your needs with the safety always taking top priority.
Is a moving company "Licensed"?
It would be more accurate to say that a moving company is "certificated". This means that a company which has been issued a certificate and has the authority to move household goods.
When moving, you will receive and sign two important documents - the "Order for Service" and "Bill of Lading". Each of these will clearly identify on whose operating authority (certificate) your shipment is being moved.

Do I need an estimate?
Your mover will make a pre-move survey of your household goods to be transported. In this way you will be able to budget your move cost and your elected mover can develop the best operational plan to meet your needs.

How much will my move cost?
Basic transportation charges depend on the weight of your goods and the distance they will travel. The total cost will include these transportation costs, any charges for transit coverage, plus charges for any additional services such as packing, unpacking, stair carries, etc. These charges are based on tariff rate schedules. Local moves are typically charged based on time and materials.

What is a Tariff?
This is the "price list" used by moving companies who provide interstate transportation of household goods. The list includes all of the various services offered by the company.
How and when should I pay the moving company?
Tariff regulations require that all charges be paid in cash, credit card, money order, cashier's check or traveler's check before your shipment is unloaded at destination. In cases where the charges are being paid by an organization, billing arrangements can be made in advance with proper authorization.
Am I protected against loss or damage?
Under the terms of the Uniform Household Goods Bill of Lading (the receipt for your goods and part of the transportation documentation given to you by the moving company), you may choose from several different types of transit coverage. Your selected representative will provide you specific details regarding transit related coverage.

Can my possessions be stored temporarily?
If you are unable to take immediate possession of your new residence, your belongings can be stored at a reasonable cost in a local warehouse. Your mover typically operates and contracts with state of the art storage facilities throughout the world to provide you with safe storage solutions. You must specifically request storage service, however. You are responsible for the storage charges, as well as warehouse handling and final delivery charges.
• How long can I expect the movers to take when packing and loading my belongings?
Since households vary in size, the time needed to pack and load will vary. A typical household of about 2500-3000 square feet usually requires two days to pack and one day to load. Smaller homes and apartments can often be done with only one day of packing and one day of loading. Sometimes a very large home can take as long as four days. Factors such as long carriers, shuttles, and bad weather may cause a move to run slightly longer than expected.
Check out for the sequel. Have a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues