Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times

Advertisements

We are hiring movers for the first time. We have moved far before ourselves, but decided to take some of the stress off and just hire movers instead.

Anyways, from Charlotte NC--Chicago IL they are only quoting me 1450$. That seems remarkably cheap to me. We don't have a lot of stuff, we are a youngish couple just starting off, 1 bed, two dressers, tv stand, couch, kitchen table/charis, and boxes. I was floored at how cheap it was.

I do know from reading this forum and others that movers have a way of jacking up the price, so am I reading too much into the quote? Since its not what I am going to pay anyways, should I just not worry about how "cheap" the quote is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
Orangeish,
"If it sounds too good to be true it probably is."

It sounds like you contacted an agent who sells for many movers. They will give you a quote over the phone for a list of items that you provide. 99% of movers base their price on weight and the only way to find out what your possessions weight is to load them on a truck and weight it at a weigh station. Most of the time the possessions will weigh far more than estimated and thereby doubling and tripling the estimate. The problem is you won't know what you stuff weighs until it is delivered when you will receive the actual bill or unless you are present at the weigh station. If you dispute the cost your furniture is hauled off to storage and another mover will reload and re-weigh it. Needless to say, that is generally far more costly than just paying the higher bill. It is all perfectly legal. If you have a guaranteed quote it is a different matter but very seldom will a mover provide a firm guaranteed quote. "Let the buyer beware."

I suggest you inventory what you want to move and price it and ask yourself if it is worth moving or selling on craigslist, etc, and replacing the same way. Or from the items you listed in your post you could go with ABF and load everything in one relo cube. Two ways to to that; have the relo cube brought to your house or load your furniture at an ABF terminal, (much cheaper). If you need labor help you can hire two guys from Labor Ready fairly cheaply. Using ABF relieves you of driving a moving van and saves overall.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,640 times
On January 1, 2008, Congress allowed the Surface Transportation Board (an administrative arm of the USDOT) to remove the collective rating making ability of the interstate household goods moving industry. Prior to this action, most participating carriers based their transportation and accessorial service charges on a combination of weight and distance defined in the same uniform pricing instrument.

Now, each of the 8500 licensed interstate motor carriers, move brokers and domestic freight forwarders are allowed to calculate and apply their fixed price (binding) charges based on whatever method the services are outlined in their individual tariffs which they must, by law, maintain and make available to customers for inspection.

While this was done to increase 'competition' and reduce moving costs for consumers, the effect has been to foster an increase in unscrupulous rogue movers and anonymous internet brokers who 'auction' your shipment to to whatever company agrees to haul it for their ridiculously low price quote - regardless of their complaint history, credentials or qualifications.

By law, interstate moving estimates can be one of two types. Non-binding based on the estimated weight of goods and services that a customer declares need to be moved; or, more frequently, fixed price (or binding) based on the same list using the pricing policies and criteria defined in each carrier’s unique tariff. The different variations of binding agreements make this estimate type more popular with shippers because of the perceived level of price certainty.

These requirements are defined in Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move”, an informative consumer oriented publication prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Your mover/broker is required to provide a copy to every prospective individual customer moving interstate. The information is included as part of FMCSA’s Protect Your Move.gov website, a comprehensive resource for anyone considering relocation. If the company who gave you the 'remarkably' cheap price didn't provide you with this info, drop them immediately.

Donsabi offers some good advice. A containerized shipping option like ABF's ReloCube might be a good option but first check if to see if an unattended mobile/portable container and/or trailer can be dropped at both locations. Many metropolitan areas and property management companies have regulations that forbid these types of moving options to be placed on public access thoroughfares or private property because of safety and esthetic considerations.

Check my blog for some professional tips on to find a reputable mover.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 AM

Well, it was too good to be true. The movers have completely screwed up our lives. They tripled the estimate price, said the price was done by square foot---and any box that was not up to their liking they put into ANOTHER one of there HUGE boxes, thereby upping the square footage. The drive shows up, reeking of smoke (maybe another kind of smoke but I cannot prove that) and is excessively rude to my fiancee and I. He then demands we make a check out to him as he can't take a debit payment b/c the call center is closed, because they were 5 hours late for the pick up.

Here we are 8 days later and I still do not have my stuff. They said it might be here Saturday. What a absolute nightmare. The only silver lining is that we are home, and healthy, thank god for that. I would love to out this moving company, but I do not know if thats against the TOS of CD.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Well, it was too good to be true. The movers have completely screwed up our lives. They tripled the estimate price, said the price was done by square foot---and any box that was not up to their liking they put into ANOTHER one of there HUGE boxes, thereby upping the square footage. The drive shows up, reeking of smoke (maybe another kind of smoke but I cannot prove that) and is excessively rude to my fiancee and I. He then demands we make a check out to him as he can't take a debit payment b/c the call center is closed, because they were 5 hours late for the pick up.

Here we are 8 days later and I still do not have my stuff. They said it might be here Saturday. What a absolute nightmare. The only silver lining is that we are home, and healthy, thank god for that. I would love to out this moving company, but I do not know if thats against the TOS of CD.
Go to the website www.Movingscam.com . They have a complete list of steps to take for filing a complaint and getting your stuff back. You definately got taken. There are people and organizations that can help you! Good luck!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Go to the website www.Movingscam.com . They have a complete list of steps to take for filing a complaint and getting your stuff back. You definately got taken. There are people and organizations that can help you! Good luck!
Thanks man. I do blame myself partly, because I am capable of driving a moving truck (I did it last year) I just wanted to pay for the convienance. And BOY am I paying lol.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Thanks man. I do blame myself partly, because I am capable of driving a moving truck (I did it last year) I just wanted to pay for the convienance. And BOY am I paying lol.
Don't be too hard on yourself. These companies are smooth and know just what to say to get you to let them load your stuff. Once they have it.......well you are seeing the results. Let us know how it all turns out!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
From the start you knew this was probably too good to be true, yet you continued. Why? probably cause you were only thinking how much money you would save. Post after post warns people like you about moving scams and even when they demanded a check up front, you continued. Sorry for your problems but you are 100% to blame because you ignored all the warnings. Hopefully you will get your stuff from them and they have not already sold it, changed company ownership, and left you out the money and your goods.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
From the start you knew this was probably too good to be true, yet you continued. Why? probably cause you were only thinking how much money you would save. Post after post warns people like you about moving scams and even when they demanded a check up front, you continued. Sorry for your problems but you are 100% to blame because you ignored all the warnings. Hopefully you will get your stuff from them and they have not already sold it, changed company ownership, and left you out the money and your goods.
There online reviews were pretty good...So I was hoping for the best, and I was working with what they told me. Regardless of what you say about it being all my fault, I don't think I would agree with you as my escalation and complaints to the company got me about 1,000 dollars off, so they are acknowledging they should take on some of the blame. I accept some of the blame of course, but I think your post is a bit overdramatic.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,190 times
Mkae it easy on yourself, have 3 companies come into the home and give you a price in the home pick from : United Van Lines, Mayflower, North American, Bekins, Atlas, Allied. these are the largest adn most reputable movers in the nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues