Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:50 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's right...you get to find out who your friends are.

When I've moved, a small percentage of people remain friends while the vast majority do not. Part of it is that I'm single and most are married. Still, some of the married ones make an effort.

I seem to be that I'm the one that makes the effort. One of the most sickening things is that, after making a "touching base" phone call to friends you might have gone to lunch with at a job about 2x a week for a period of several years, as you close, the phone call ends with their closing "thanks for calling." I'm thinking in my head "#%*@ you, too" and generally take them off my cell phone directory.
Glad to know it isn't only happening to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
As soon as I see the town I'm leaving in my rear view mirror, I forget that I ever lived there.

What I leave behind, stays behind.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Sounds good! I remember that and hope to again one day.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM

261 posts, read 954,653 times
I have 3 best friends that I continuously stay in touch with. 1 from grade school that we became penpals through her aunt and now she and I live in the same town and she is now taking infant clothes for her child, that my kids have worn. Another friend lives 2 hours away and we only see each other about 2 times a year, but we always send birthday cards (I share her sisters birthday and she shares my uncles birthday). We send Christmas cards and I still send cards to her parents! I haven't seen them in 8 years but I send a card every year with updated pictures of the family. And my 3rd friend lives in TX and we last saw each other in April 2007. Prior to that it was 9 years. He and I have a great friendship that we can go years without seeing each other and pick up right from where we left off!

As far as people that I lived near while growing up, they all stayed in the same town and I occassionaly see them when I go to parents during holidays. Other wise, I don't wish to have contact with them.

My friends are precious to me and I make sure they know that. We email all the time, but snail mail has been an important part of our lives too. We just moved to a different town and the friends that we had there, we are hoping will remain our friends even though we will be an hour away. Most of them have kids the same age as ours, so the idea to keep in touch with them is for the kids plus the friendships that have formed with the parents. We also made friends with some neighbors that don't have kids and we look forward to being able to get together a few times a year.

Some people don't like to keep in touch, and I"m okay with that, but I will continue to write to people and send christmas cards as they became our friends for a reason.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM

I noticed that women seem to stay in closer contact then the men do.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Keeping in touch

When I was a teen, I wrote letter after letter - then it was to work 2 jobs plus school plus tons of financial responsibility. Still there. I do, love to hear from people from the past and I keep all their letters, etc. E-mail is great also. I promise to be better at this.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,346 times
We moved from VA to NY about 20 years ago and have a couple of folks that we have stayed in touch with. In fact, my wife and son just visited one of them in VA a couple weeks ago. We are moving from NY to NC now and we already have two families that we are close friends with that are planning to stop over at our new house over spring break when they are on the way to FL for vacation. We'll be moving to half way between NY and FL, so I am hoping that we'll be able to stay in touch that way, as we have several friends that make the trip several times a year.

But this is a very small minority of the friends we had/have. Most I'm sure we won't maintain contact with.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I keep in touch with many friends, from all the places I've lived from childhood on. Some keep in close touch, some I hear from occasionally, others have faded away.

If they're truly friends, they won't mind if they hear from you once every three months or once every three years.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 AM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
I stayed in touch with a few friends when I left Oklahoma for Atlanta. However, contact with a few of my friends faded away over time. When I moved back to Oklahoma, where I currently am now, I have stayed in touch with a few friends from Atlanta, although with some I have not. I am planning another move out west shortly, and hope to keep in touch with friends from both Oklahoma and Atlanta. But relocating can affect how often you keep in touch with your friends. From calling several times a week while living there, to maybe once or twice a month when you move away.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
I definitely stay in touch with important friends and relatives once I move...I think its characteristic of polynesians though, not just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues