Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:55 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,378 times

Advertisements

I have the ability to move to warmer climate with activities that I enjoy more than where I am now. I am confident that I can find some kind of job in my field lined up before making the move.
A part of me is saying though that one should only make a move a) to be near relatives b) for a job transfer from a job you already have c) for school. What do you think?

Last edited by INeedAChange; 06-03-2007 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:06 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,821 times
Default Moving is whatever it is you need it to be...

Some people move for school...

Some move for family...

Some move to clear their head... Others to try something new...

We relocate for a reason that is important to us; that is human nature. My husband I are moving for more reasons than a poor economy - I need to get away from my family for a while... and establish "us" without "them". It is the best way to do it and we might as well seize the opportunity while we have it.

If climate and recreation are important to you, why would you not pursue that?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,674 times
Not necessarily. I think you should consider a move if the benefits outweigh the cost. Can you be assured that you'll really thrive in a place where your friends and family are not? If that's the case, then sure, why not?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:19 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,378 times
thanks...actually none of my family lives where I am now, so that won't change. I would miss the friends I have here though, but hopefully I would still see them once or twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasol View Post
Not necessarily. I think you should consider a move if the benefits outweigh the cost. Can you be assured that you'll really thrive in a place where your friends and family are not? If that's the case, then sure, why not?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Do whatever makes you happy, why even question it?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
People move for all kinds of reasons and climate/leisure is one of them.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,355 times
Self indulgent is not the right term. The US is a huge country with many climate zones. If you have the freedom and ability to move, do it. You don't even need a reason!

Sometimes I think about moving to what I would consider the worst area of the US (eg: rural ND, with its bitter winters), just for the experience. You only have one life.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:01 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
"Climate" and proximity to outdoor activities are two different things. I firmly believe that there is such as thing as "climate hedonism," especially when the climate that people consider desirable (today, living in the desert is the latest fad) is combined with cheaper living costs. I just described Phoenix for you in one sentence. People move here because they don't like snow and cold. Actually, that's not it-- people move to Phoenix because they hate rain, snow, clouds, and cool temperatures so bad, they are willing to go to the opposite extreme just to rid themselves of it.

The economy here is based primarily on construction and development-- not any core industry. They aren't moving here for "the city," that's for sure. The funny thing is, I know so many people here who do nothing but complain about how there is nothing to do, boring architecture, lousy food, lousy music scene, etc, etc, but choose to stay put, primarily because of the weather (in addition to "climate hedonism," this place suffers from "climate amnesia"-- people talk about the weather as a plus and conveniently ignore 6 months out of the year). Some people really are happier here. But personally, I think that if you're the kind of person that would get a lot out of the culture of a city like Seattle, Chicago, or Boston, the down-to-earth communities of the midwest, or the possibilities for outdoor recreation that a colder climate city like Denver or Salt Lake would offer, but instead, choose to live in Phoenix because you just "can't take the cold," then you are a weakling.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:15 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I have the ability to move to warmer climate with activities that I enjoy more than where I am now. I am confident that I can find some kind of job in my field lined up before making the move.
A part of me is saying though that one should only make a move a) to be near relatives b) for a job transfer from a job you already have c) for school. What do you think?
Go for it, if you can support it. But, since you will have a job....do it, do it, do it. For ALL of the above...lol.
You only live once, do whatever makes you happy, and what feels right to you.
But, whatever I might do, wouldn't necessary be in your best interest. Research a bit, and base your decision on that, since everyones life is so different.
Also.......
[quote=INeedAChange;821471]I have the ability to move to warmer climate with activities that I enjoy more than where I am now.
.................................................. ............
More activity means more exercise and a healthier, longer life!
I am sure, your doctor would applaud you for that.......

Old 06-03-2007, 05:20 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
Why do people feel quilty about wanting to live somewhere that they will enjoy?

I LOVE where I live and don't feel even a twinge...Whenever I am not at work or in school, its like being on vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues