Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

I did some quickee research on housing near jobs in the Seattle area and the housing prices weren't that much cheaper than Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Raleigh North Carolina perhaps? Three hours to the ocean and and four hours to the mountains. Cost of living/real estate is significantly less than West coast options.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Raleigh North Carolina perhaps? Three hours to the ocean and and four hours to the mountains. Cost of living/real estate is significantly less than West coast options.

Raleigh/Durham is a good suggestion. So is anyplace along I-85 from the Georgia line to NYC. Of course, the farther north you go, the colder it can get.

Texas is a bad idea. Yeah, you'll be "warm" alright and there is a lot ocean right down there, but it's a long, LONG way to the mountains and, when you get there, you won't find much but a large pile of rocks. To find mountains with actual....like...trees, you'd have to travel to New Mexico and that's even farther!

Alabama offers some good locations too, especially Montgomery. It's about equidistance to the Gulf and the Appalachians.

Of course, Hawaii would be exactly what you're looking for...if you can afford it and can find a place to live.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I did some quickee research on housing near jobs in the Seattle area and the housing prices weren't that much cheaper than Southern California.

Unless you just like being cool and damp all the time, I'd forget the Pacific Northwest.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 AM

381 posts, read 1,365,687 times
Virginia. If you moved to Richmond, for example, you'd be about 90 minutes from the ocean and 90 minutes from the mountains. Also close to DC, and if you live in the surrounding counties the schools are great. Low property taxes, too!

As someone who moved to Virginia from MN, though, I much preferred Fredericksburg. Close enough to DC to have the "northern" influence I was used to, but still fairly close to beaches and mountains. Great schools and low property taxes, too.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:46 AM

304 posts, read 745,142 times
Unfortunately, the pacific northwest is in equal measure the most beautiful place in America I have lived in and the most depressing. It rains ALL the time and that is not an exxageration. It cool and grey all the time. It is unbelievable gorgeous but I wouldnt live there again and its expensive anyway. I'd take SoCal instead if I could afford it. Too bad because Portland OR is about the coolest place I have ever been, it like the perfect city, but its always wet or snowy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues