Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 78,382 times

Advertisements

When will the movers arrive, and when can I expect them to leave?
When possible, a work day will begin around 8:30AM and finish around 5:30PM. Factors such as traffic and weather occasionally alter these times. While small moves will often dictate shorter days, a large move may require longer ones. Keep in mind that your move is scheduled to be completed in a given span of time and our crews may need to continue working later into the evening to ensure that these deadlines are met.
I realize that my mover offers a full service move, but is there anything I should do before the movers arrive?
The single most important thing you can do is to be as organized as possible before the movers arrive. You should:
1. Have a garage sale to get rid of everything you don't want to take with you. Use the money you make to buy something nice for your new home!
2. Create an inventory list of your possessions. You might want to include the room each item belongs in, the year of purchase, the original cost, and the current value.
3. Be sure to drain water from hoses, refrigerators, and washers, and gasoline from garden equipment before moving them.
4. After you've completely cleaned out your refrigerator, put a handful of fresh coffee or baking soda in a nylon stocking and place it inside to keep the interior fresh.
5. Pack a few boxes with things you will need when you first arrive at your new home, and mark them "Unpack first." Remember to include basic tools, cleaning supplies, towels, toilet paper, light bulbs, a first aid kit, paper plates and cups, and snack foods.
6. Take your current phone book with you - you may need to make calls to residents or businesses in your former town.
7. When moving plants to your new home in the car, be sure not to let the foliage rest against the windows, as the leaves will scorch.
8. Once you arrive at your new home, you might consider hooking up the TV and VCR first to occupy the kids while the rest of the truck is being unloaded.
9. When moving in electronic appliances, such as PCs, be sure to let them acclimate to room temperature before plugging them in.
10. If you need to store some of your belongings, it's a good idea to tour the warehouse you are planning to use. Look for cleanliness, organization, and security.
How many people will pack my items? Will the same people who pack my goods load them onto the van?
Normally, two to four people will pack your home. However, the exact number may vary depending on the size of your house. Your mover can is contracted can be a pack & haul carrier, which means the same crew that packs, will also load and deliver your goods.
How will the movers label the boxes after they are packed?
When showing the packers around your home for the first time, make sure to let them know how you would like each room to be labeled. When packing, they will label the boxes as asked and will also include a general listing as to the contents of each carton.
Do I, or someone in my family need to be present while they are packing my home?
Someone will need to be present to let the movers in and to show them around. Because moving is often a hectic time, we understand that you may need to run out for a short time. However, we have found that packing goes best when someone familiar with the move is available for a majority of the move.
Are there any items that your mover will not pack?
Household Goods movers are prevented from packing the following:
o Aerosol can, such as hairspray.
o Flammables of any sort such as gasoline, kerosene propane.
o Perishable foods (canned and boxed foods are fine).
o Paints, thinners, bleaches, or other toxic materials.
o Explosive, such as ammunition, firecrackers, and matches.
o These items should be removed from your home prior to the packers' arrival.
Will the packers use any of my original cartons when packing?
If original cartons are left near the objects for which they were designed and all the original packing (Styrofoam, cardboard cutouts, etc.) is still in the box, then the packers will try to use them. If the use of the original box entails the disassembly of an object (pressboard furniture, large toys, etc.), then the movers will try to find an alternative means of protecting the object. Small boxes for fragile items such as figurines, glassware and dolls come in very handy but due to their small nature, it is suggested that you pack these items yourself and have the packers repack them in a larger carton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,505,972 times
As a Moderator, I have decided that since these posts are helpful, and there is no blatant advertising here, These posts are allowed.

Many here face a big move in the near future, and this type of info is useful.

Frank

Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM

10,105 posts, read 19,329,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMoverTips View Post
When will the movers arrive, and when can I expect them to leave?
When possible, a work day will begin around 8:30AM and finish around 5:30PM. Factors such as traffic and weather occasionally alter these times. While small moves will often dictate shorter days, a large move may require longer ones. Keep in mind that your move is scheduled to be completed in a given span of time and our crews may need to continue working later into the evening to ensure that these deadlines are met.
I realize that my mover offers a full service move, but is there anything I should do before the movers arrive?
The single most important thing you can do is to be as organized as possible before the movers arrive. You should:
1. Have a garage sale to get rid of everything you don't want to take with you. Use the money you make to buy something nice for your new home!
2. Create an inventory list of your possessions. You might want to include the room each item belongs in, the year of purchase, the original cost, and the current value.
3. Be sure to drain water from hoses, refrigerators, and washers, and gasoline from garden equipment before moving them.
4. After you've completely cleaned out your refrigerator, put a handful of fresh coffee or baking soda in a nylon stocking and place it inside to keep the interior fresh.
5. Pack a few boxes with things you will need when you first arrive at your new home, and mark them "Unpack first." Remember to include basic tools, cleaning supplies, towels, toilet paper, light bulbs, a first aid kit, paper plates and cups, and snack foods.
6. Take your current phone book with you - you may need to make calls to residents or businesses in your former town.
7. When moving plants to your new home in the car, be sure not to let the foliage rest against the windows, as the leaves will scorch.
8. Once you arrive at your new home, you might consider hooking up the TV and VCR first to occupy the kids while the rest of the truck is being unloaded.
9. When moving in electronic appliances, such as PCs, be sure to let them acclimate to room temperature before plugging them in.
10. If you need to store some of your belongings, it's a good idea to tour the warehouse you are planning to use. Look for cleanliness, organization, and security.
How many people will pack my items? Will the same people who pack my goods load them onto the van?
Normally, two to four people will pack your home. However, the exact number may vary depending on the size of your house. Your mover can is contracted can be a pack & haul carrier, which means the same crew that packs, will also load and deliver your goods.
How will the movers label the boxes after they are packed?
When showing the packers around your home for the first time, make sure to let them know how you would like each room to be labeled. When packing, they will label the boxes as asked and will also include a general listing as to the contents of each carton.
Do I, or someone in my family need to be present while they are packing my home?
Someone will need to be present to let the movers in and to show them around. Because moving is often a hectic time, we understand that you may need to run out for a short time. However, we have found that packing goes best when someone familiar with the move is available for a majority of the move.
Are there any items that your mover will not pack?
Household Goods movers are prevented from packing the following:
o Aerosol can, such as hairspray.
o Flammables of any sort such as gasoline, kerosene propane.
o Perishable foods (canned and boxed foods are fine).
o Paints, thinners, bleaches, or other toxic materials.
o Explosive, such as ammunition, firecrackers, and matches.
o These items should be removed from your home prior to the packers' arrival.
Will the packers use any of my original cartons when packing?
If original cartons are left near the objects for which they were designed and all the original packing (Styrofoam, cardboard cutouts, etc.) is still in the box, then the packers will try to use them. If the use of the original box entails the disassembly of an object (pressboard furniture, large toys, etc.), then the movers will try to find an alternative means of protecting the object. Small boxes for fragile items such as figurines, glassware and dolls come in very handy but due to their small nature, it is suggested that you pack these items yourself and have the packers repack them in a larger carton.

All excellent suggestions, I'm printing them out for reference!

A few more suggestions to add to the list---m

moving can take more than a day, get a hotel room nearby for at least one night. Its hard to sleep in a house with the beds broken down.

BE READY for when the movers arrive. When they ring that doorbell, you turn your house over to them. They swarm your home, packing, moving, hey, that's what they're paid for. I mean, its no longer your home. If its there, its packed. They assume you've already sorted and gotten rid of things you don't want. I had them pack a cat litter box once!

Its helpful to provide lunch and snacks for the movers. although they usually bring their own, its a nice gesture. I always have a big cooler with water and cokes, and once brought in BBQ. Well-fed workers are happy workers. They tend not to drop and ding stuff when well-fed.

Don't arrange to cut off the utilities for at least several days after the move, you never know what can happen at the last minute.

Get ruthless in pruning your stuff. Ask yourself, is it cheaper to ship this or buy another? There's always Walmart! Welcome this as a time to purge the old crap! Yippee!!!! and buy yourself some BBQ, you deserve it!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM

438 posts, read 1,113,046 times
I'm concerned about timing.

I have a small one-bedroom apartment. There'll be boxes, but little heavy furniture except for an oak bed, oak bookcase, chest of drawers, desk, and a couple of chairs. No appliances. My other stuff is light: occasional tables, lamps, PC desk, desktop computer and monitor. Of course I have kitchen stuff, a few books and probably five cardboard wardrobes of clothes. In other words, not much.

I'll want the movers to pack my stuff. When I get the estimate from the moving company, will they be able to tell me whether they'll pack and load in the same day or whether it will take two days? I will need to know so I can make plane reservations, as I will be flying from California to my new home in the Southwest, 1,100 miles away. After the movers finish packing and loading, I'll need to sweep and vacuum my apartment, so I plan to stay in a hotel that night, then fly to my new city the next day.

Because my stuff will not fill a truck, will my load be combined with another? How long might this take? That is, would I possibly have to wait weeks for the truck to arrive at my new place or will they start driving with the truck half or more empty?

If, say, my stuff is loaded on the truck on a Friday, would the movers start driving on Saturday or would they wait until Monday to start out? Do they normally drive on weekends?

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2011, 03:01 AM

44 posts, read 83,013 times
I really liked the tips shared.If one utilize these tips before moving to any place so it can make their moving process easy and hassel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues