Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM

20 posts, read 78,478 times

Advertisements

If I already have items boxed up from a previous move will the movers repack them so that I am covered for damages?
The packers will look at each previously packed carton to determine whether it requires repacking. If a box is worn, then it will require repacking. Remember that you will be held responsible for boxes you ask us to leave unopened and which you do not want repacked.
Will the movers inventory my move, and if so, how?
Any move involving storage or which crosses state lines will be inventoried. Intrastate moves charged by the hour are not normally inventoried; however, if you specifically request it, we will be happy to inventory your shipment. The inventory process will usually take place just after packing and prior to the loading of the truck. The person doing the inventory will bring a roll of colored stickers with them and each sticker on the roll will have a different number on it. Every item in your home will have a sticker placed on it (with care being used to avoid damaging finished surfaces). As each item is tagged, it will be recorded on the inventory sheet next to the number which is on the sticker. Notes will also be made regarding any current wear or tear on the objects. Before leaving your home, our crew will supply you with a copy of your inventory.
Is any care taken to protect the fabric on my furniture?
Yes. All light colored, overstuffed furniture (sofas, dining room chairs, recliners, etc.) may be wrapped in padded paper prior to being wrapped in moving pads. If you feel there are certain objects that need to be paper padded, point these items out to the team when they arrive at your home. Keep in mind that there is an additional charge for this service and prior authorization from your company's relocation representative may be required.
What kind of packing materials do the packing crews use?
Our teams use white paper similar to everyday newspaper, but it contains no inks or dyes. They also use a padded paper for pictures, lamps, mirrors, and various other delicate items, and a form of bubble wrap may be used for valuable breakables.
Can I continue to stay at my home throughout the packing and loading process?
Yes. It is entirely possible for you and your family to remain in the house and sleep in your beds throughout the entire move. When showing the movers around your home, make sure you let them know that you will be staying. Point out any beds that you need left undisturbed. Also make sure to separate any items you will be using while the move is taking place. You should pack a bag just as if you were going away for the night. Place the items you will be using either on your bed or in an out of the way area and make sure they are marked "Do Not Pack until Last Day of the Move".
Will the interior of my home be protected during the loading of the truck?
Yes. We always provide full premise protection at both origin and destination. This protection entails using carpet runners, padding the railings and banisters, and placing protective coverings on hardwood and tile floors. We will to do the best possible job of protecting your home.
Will there be someone on the job to supervise the crew?
Yes, most of our teams consist of a driver and 1-3 helpers. The head driver is responsible for his crew and should oversee the entire move. If for some reason you need to notify someone about a problem, you should always speak to the lead driver. Should you need to notify someone else of a problem, our move Customer Service Hotline is available 24/7.
Will they disassemble any items before loading them onto the truck?
Items will only be disassembled if they cannot be easily handled or if they are less prone to damage when apart. Normally, all beds are disassembled and table legs are removed if possible.
How will my furniture be protected during the move?
Since most scratches and nicks occur while carrying objects through the home, we feel it is very important that every piece of furniture be fully padded and protected inside the home. This helps in reducing damage to both the furniture and the walls during the loading process.
If my belongings go into storage will I have the same crew deliver my belongings out of storage?
Typically scheduling makes it difficult to schedule the same crew. However, we will attempt to accommodate your wishes. The sooner you notify us that you would prefer the same crew, the better the chance that we can schedule them for the second half of your move.
If a certain driver was recommended to me, can I request him for my move?
A significant portion of our business comes from repeat customers and referrals. Because of this, we are very accustomed to special driver request. Whenever possible we try to accommodate your driver preferences. The sooner you make us aware of a driver request, the better the chances are that we can schedule him/her for your move. Fortunately, when we are unable to meet a specific driver request our clients end up being just as satisfied with the alternate driver assignment.
When delivering my furniture, will they assemble those items which were taken apart at my former home?
Yes. Any items that our movers altered in order to safely transport them will be restored to the original condition during unloading. These items often include beds, large wardrobes, desks, tables, and shelving units. If you prefer to leave certain items disassembled in your new home, just let the movers know prior to unloading.
Are your movers qualified to disassemble and/or assemble items such as my grandfather clock and pool table?
While many of our drivers possess the knowledge to perform these services, we will occasionally use a third party company for any situations that require a high degree of expertise. This ensures that the job is always done properly and allows our crews to devote more time and effort to the move itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
As a Moderator, I have decided that since these posts are helpful, and there is no blatant advertising here, These posts are allowed.

Many here face a big move in the near future, and this type of info is useful.

Frank

Old 12-26-2011, 01:14 AM

44 posts, read 83,343 times
Your post contains really helpful information which anybody will need during their move or when they are hiring any company for their move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues