Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Yesterday---

Salvation Army hauled off a ton of stuff

Sold some furniture to a second hand store

big trash haul off

Today--

Painters pained bedrooms and bathrooms, cost---$1200 But an excellent job and will increase market appeal

Wrapped up my china cabinet, used a ton of bubble wrap, wrapped up 14 boxes of trinkets, etc, they are so well-packed we could probably kick them there, all double-boxed, too!

So, why does my house look worse than ever? People keep giving me a piting look, oh, you poor thing, with all this clutter---hey, I'm working on it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yesterday---

Salvation Army hauled off a ton of stuff

Sold some furniture to a second hand store

big trash haul off

So, why does my house look worse than ever? People keep giving me a piting look, oh, you poor thing, with all this clutter---hey, I'm working on it!

Did you get a decent price for the furniture from the second hand store?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Did you get a decent price for the furniture from the second hand store?

I sold it all for $25---a dresser, mirror, and sofa. The real value to me was them hauling it off. They were in poor condiiton, Salvation Army wouldn't take them, they won't take furniture that needs repair. I was looking at Got Junk to haul it off, I considered it a bargain, sometimes you are ahead just getting rid of it.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I sold it all for $25---a dresser, mirror, and sofa. The real value to me was them hauling it off. They were in poor condiiton, Salvation Army wouldn't take them, they won't take furniture that needs repair. I was looking at Got Junk to haul it off, I considered it a bargain, sometimes you are ahead just getting rid of it.
I concur. Got Junk probably would have charged $100.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I concur. Got Junk probably would have charged $100.

Got Junk's minimum charge (according to their website) is $98, that's for a small truck.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Last night was a day of rest. I was so stressed out I was going on nervous energy.

About 7 pm, I just went to bed. Disconnected the doorbell, disconnected the phone, took a hot bath, then took some Valerian (an OTC sleep aid), then sepnt about an hour cuddling with FC (favorite cat) and watching old movies. I woke up about 2 am to the sound of rain, watched some more old movies, FC was still in his spot, fell back asleep until 12 noon. Oh, did that feel good!

Not only the sleep, which I desperately needed, but the nemtal break, I've been juggling so many galls in the air, just to forget it all and retreat into the world of Turner Classic Movies!

So what if I wasted a day, now I'm restored and can attack tasks refreshed!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:48 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I called the utility companies and scheduled my service end date. Other than that I keep looking around thinking, crap I have alot to do. Also, it would be nice if it stopped raining (been raining everyday for a week) so I can do some things (stain the deck) that need to be done. 3 more weeks! Woo Whooo!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 PM

DH came home this weekend, spent most of the time cleaning out the garage, junk in the backyard, etc.

I spent the day wrapping and packing china. We have a mover sacheduled to come out tomorrow to do an estimate, I'm cancelling them until later. I've learned they estimate the whole house, regardless of what you tell them. I want everything sorted, packed, ditched, whatever, before I get an estimate. If you let them in to do an estimate before you're ready, they over estimate, then they stick to it. Of course, its not legally binding, but they will underpack to compensate.

This move, I want a fresh start. I've had 5 corporate moves, I did a lot of saorting before the moves, but still, time became a consideration and I ended up letting them pack my stuff to sort out later. Well, now is "later". I'm simply not hauling that stuff around one more move.

Oh, here's a few "tips" don't be too hasty to get rid of old towels, blankets, pillows, etc, they make great packing materials, just discard when you get there, beats paying for their materials!

And, keep out at least one pair of old shoes and clothes for work clothes, you will be getting plenty dirty!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
DH came home this weekend, spent most of the time cleaning out the garage, junk in the backyard, etc.

I spent the day wrapping and packing china. We have a mover sacheduled to come out tomorrow to do an estimate, I'm cancelling them until later. I've learned they estimate the whole house, regardless of what you tell them. I want everything sorted, packed, ditched, whatever, before I get an estimate. If you let them in to do an estimate before you're ready, they over estimate, then they stick to it. Of course, its not legally binding, but they will underpack to compensate.

This move, I want a fresh start. I've had 5 corporate moves, I did a lot of saorting before the moves, but still, time became a consideration and I ended up letting them pack my stuff to sort out later. Well, now is "later". I'm simply not hauling that stuff around one more move.

Oh, here's a few "tips" don't be too hasty to get rid of old towels, blankets, pillows, etc, they make great packing materials, just discard when you get there, beats paying for their materials!

And, keep out at least one pair of old shoes and clothes for work clothes, you will be getting plenty dirty!
I read that animal shelters really like to receive old towels and blankets. Rather than throwing them away...

Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 AM

124 posts, read 372,317 times
I got rid of a bunch of scrapbooking stuff that I never use. I just discovered that I'll be moving in August, so I've got to be on top of packing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues