Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 08:27 PM

10,110 posts, read 19,357,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I read that animal shelters really like to receive old towels and blankets. Rather than throwing them away...

That is so true---I volunteered at an animal shelter, we always needed old towels,blankets, also, old throw rugs, afghans, curtains, they need stuff to line the large cages, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Getting the house ready to put on the market. Last week we had new ceramic flooring installed in the bathrooms, there was carpet there previously. Builders love to do that---its cheap, get gross.

Tomorrow we're having new carpet installed, going crazy trying to get rooms ready. They move furniture, but we have to have stuff out of it so they can move, I can't believe all the china, figurines, etc. I'm to the point I'd just as soon trhow them in the trash, have already gone through 6 300ft rolls of bubble wrap, still have stuff to wrap.

You reach a point you wonder if the stuff is worth the hassle? All I will do on the other end is unwrap it, display it, and worry about it being broken. Its all inherited stuff, from parents, grandparents, etc, but this is my life, I can't be bogged down with dead people's stuff. This is one move I refuse to be boxed up and shipped, I'm sorting the stuff NOW, not when I get there. That's how I wound up with so much crap in the first place!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,559,972 times
I read about 4 or 5 pages on here, and boy am I exhausted seeing all the work you all have been doing for MONTHS. It's been over 20 years since we've "moved ourselves". We are moving in 14 days and other than have the garbage co. remove some old damaged furniture and some other large items we didn't want, we haven't done anything (other than paperwork for the sale (corp. buyout) of this house, and purchasing the new house). We close tomorrow. The only bad part is the "showings" which we have to do - means sweeping the floor, straightening up,crating the cat, packing 3 dogs in the car, and "going nowhere" for two hours - yesterday we had a showing - it was 102 degrees

Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,349,905 times
Default Value of figurines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Getting the house ready to put on the market. Last week we had new ceramic flooring installed in the bathrooms, there was carpet there previously. Builders love to do that---its cheap, get gross.

Tomorrow we're having new carpet installed, going crazy trying to get rooms ready. They move furniture, but we have to have stuff out of it so they can move, I can't believe all the china, figurines, etc. I'm to the point I'd just as soon trhow them in the trash, have already gone through 6 300ft rolls of bubble wrap, still have stuff to wrap.

You reach a point you wonder if the stuff is worth the hassle? All I will do on the other end is unwrap it, display it, and worry about it being broken. Its all inherited stuff, from parents, grandparents, etc, but this is my life, I can't be bogged down with dead people's stuff. This is one move I refuse to be boxed up and shipped, I'm sorting the stuff NOW, not when I get there. That's how I wound up with so much crap in the first place!
Just remember that any figurine made in pre-war Japan is worth a lot. Also Nippon.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM

124 posts, read 371,903 times
Yesterday I packed up a bunch of my scrapbooking stuff that I'm never going to use and I'll be listing in on Craigslist later to try and get some money for it. I also go togeher some of my body sprays and lotions and nail polishes, They won't be able to make the move either so I'll be posting them on Craigslist as well. I've decided that I'll be trying to sell ten things per day to get ready to move.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Just remember that any figurine made in pre-war Japan is worth a lot. Also Nippon.

I have a Nippon vase, probably made between 1891 and 1921. Its in excellent condition, do you think its worth anything? Also my mother had quite a collection of teacups, all say "made in occupied Japan" Obviously post WWII stuff, what little research I've done they're a dime a dozen, wonder if they're worth the bubble wrap?

Also have a Nippon chocolate set, appears to be new, in box with tissue paper, wonder if its worth anything?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,104,767 times
We're getting down to the home stretch here. 11 days until we actually drive out of town and 9 days until the truck arrives to load it up. We had out last moving sale this weekend. It went okay, considering it was oue second one in 30 days or so.

So now we have to get rid of all the stuff that did not sell. Most charities here are way too picky and I really do not have the time or patience to spend 2 days going around town trying to find someone who will take my stuff for free. Pretty sure I will be visiting the dump with most of this stuff.

Most things are packed, except for the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and a few electronics. Need to get the TVs online to sell.

I think tonight we will pack up these rooms so they are ready to go and begin hauling stuff to the dump since it closes 1 hour after I get off of work. I have the neighbor coming over tonight to pick up the bunk beds they purchased. I keep getting asked if I am excited about the move. I keep telling them, I am not excited yet since we still have so much to do. Pretty confident once that truck arrives and is loaded... I'll be excited.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

I always pack bathrooms and kitchens last. If its open, toss it, if its liquid, toss it. No way am I toting shampoo, toothpaste, windex, etc. You can donate toiletries and cleaning products to homeless shelters..

For kitchen stuff, you can get free priority mailing boxes from the post office, you can also order them online and they are sent free. They are just the right size for utensils, cutlery, knives, forks, etc.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM

124 posts, read 371,903 times
I've decided that I will go through my room and get 10 things ready to either: 1) throw away, 2) donate, 3) sell or 4) ship to Arkansas. (10 things each, so I have to have ten things ready to sell, ten things thrown away, ten things in the donation bag and ten things ready to ship)

I'm getting one box of stuff ready to ship and I have a couple of other boxes full of stuff I'm trying to sell on Craisglist.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,349,905 times
Default Nippon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I have a Nippon vase, probably made between 1891 and 1921. Its in excellent condition, do you think its worth anything? Also my mother had quite a collection of teacups, all say "made in occupied Japan" Obviously post WWII stuff, what little research I've done they're a dime a dozen, wonder if they're worth the bubble wrap?

Also have a Nippon chocolate set, appears to be new, in box with tissue paper, wonder if its worth anything?
I had someone who was a Nippon collector offer me $500 for a Royal Nippon vase I had about 20 yrs. ago. I think it depends on the quality of the vase, but I'd check it out before I chuck it. I think you can research Nippon vase on google and get an idea. The Royal Nippon may be worth more...

Are you sure the "made in occupied Japan" stuff is worthless? I've heard in the past that it was worth a lot. Remember, that it was made for only a limited number of years. But, of course, younger people aren't as interested in that stuff as people used to be.

Maybe go on the house design section of the city-data and ask?

Last edited by staywarm2; 06-29-2010 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues