Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times

Advertisements

We are still about a year away from our move. I already have my garage and basement looking good, and all closets are neat and decluttered. I want to be done AHEAD OF TIME so I can spend the last few weeks or so doing some things that I may not get to do again.....like visiting old friends, seeing some local digs that I've never gotten to, etc.......

I want to leave in a calm, unhurried, organized fashion with nothing left unsaid or undone. Basically closing out one phase of life in a proper way so I can embrace our next phase with no regrets.....

We call them possessions not because we own them, but sadly because they own us. I will not allow that.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
We are still about a year away from our move. I already have my garage and basement looking good, and all closets are neat and decluttered. I want to be done AHEAD OF TIME so I can spend the last few weeks or so doing some things that I may not get to do again.....like visiting old friends, seeing some local digs that I've never gotten to, etc.......

I want to leave in a calm, unhurried, organized fashion with nothing left unsaid or undone. Basically closing out one phase of life in a proper way so I can embrace our next phase with no regrets.....

We call them possessions not because we own them, but sadly because they own us. I will not allow that.

Frank

I think this says it best...closing out oe phase of life and embracing the next phase. If we think in those terms, it takes on a different perscpective. As opposed to "i'm moving this junk from A to B". No, you're closing one phase of life and entering another. You can't be weighted down with the remanents of the past.

also, Frank, its good that you're ahead of things. I got sick the last two weeks of my move and barely made it. what if I hadn't started waaaaay ahead of time? You never know what might happen.

I saw that happen with my parents. They took so long to make up their minds what, where, and when that the how became almost impossible.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 PM

ARRRRRGH!

I started this thread, waaaaay back about April.

We finally made the move, thanks to no one else.

I spent 4 months pruning, sorting, hauling stuff to Goodwill, garage sales, etc. I encountered resistance every step of the way. why are you getting rid of that? You can use that, yadda, yadda.

My rule was to get rid of the day's catch every day. There was a Goodwill dropoff about a mile down the road, I made it a point to take sorted stuff there each day, otherwise you'd end up second guessing it, or, worse still, someone else would second guess it for you. There's nothing worse than to spend half a day pruning and sorting, then to have someone come along and "rescue' it for you.

We did make the move, but it was a low-grade disaster. I developed some health problems the last 2 weeks, and barely made it. We had to reschedule the move once. I ended up doing the "big box" method, which is, essentially, shove it all into a big box and sort it out when you get there. I got basically little to no help from dh and kids, finally ended up hiring some grunts to move stuff around.

Well, we barely had enough room in the new home as it was for all our stuff. I had relatives asking me why I was getting rid of my stuff, I would need it for my new home, like I was some sort of idiot. I knew what I was doing!

Ok, we've been here 2+months, with many unsorted boxes. I tried sorting one box tonight, it was sorted and ready for Goodwill, until family "discovered" it. Then, everything gets unwrapped, analyzed, oh, dear, we can use this, why are you getting rid of it? Hey, we've been here 2+ months without using it, what makes you think we need it?

Ok, I"m through with moving junk around. Come Monday, I'm calling the first charity that will come, everything in a box goes. I mean it---if it was important, we would have uncrated it by now. Its highly possible we will have to move next year, at this rate, we will never get there.

I also told dh I've orchestrated 5 moves, the next one is on him. I plan to check into a hotel and meet him on the other end, case closed! Then see how important junk is!

Moving is difficult enough as it is, without fighting everyone, you're getting rid of too much stuff. We had two trucks crammed as it was, and can barely squeeze into this home, but I got rid of too much stuff?

If I get rid of crap, no one will even notice. If its something they really can't live without, they would have noticed the lack of by now. If its in those boxes, it goes!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I hate moving. I recently moved, and have not had time to unpack the boxes, so I wonder, do I really need all that junk?!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I hate moving. I recently moved, and have not had time to unpack the boxes, so I wonder, do I really need all that junk?!
I know what you mean. I've been doing fine with my clothes, my laptop, my music (iPod and a few CDs... most of my CDs are ON my iPod anyway), my books....

Other than my furniture, kitchen essentials, and family pictures... what do I really need?

I definitely plan to do another "weeding out" when I get to my final location and get settled into my new home. Can't wait.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 AM

I suppose we should start a new thread, "What did you do today to unpack and organize your stuff?"

Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I suppose we should start a new thread, "What did you do today to unpack and organize your stuff?"

Great idea!

You want to start it, since it was your idea?

Funny, this house is starting to look like our old home, same junk configuration, if you KWIM

Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,719 times
we moved to our apartment in May and were told in September that on the 1st Nov my husband would be working i the US....

I still have all the moving lists etc but having to go through them all again is a pain in the backside !!
Yesterday I sorted through all my kitchen cupboards sorting all the food out - I can't bring any of it in my shipment ..
and put all my cooking gadgets and snap seal boxes etc back away in a more organized way...

I wend through 5 years of paperwork and put together a file of important documents that need to come on the flight and shredded anything I don't need...

Today is the wardrobe day - I need to find winter clothes and see if they fit and put them aside to go in our flight luggage. I haven't had a 'winter' for 5 years and my only long trousers are linen... it might not take too long !!
Maybe then I'll take photos of everything for insurance purposes - just incase.....

Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
we moved to our apartment in May and were told in September that on the 1st Nov my husband would be working i the US....

I still have all the moving lists etc but having to go through them all again is a pain in the backside !!
Yesterday I sorted through all my kitchen cupboards sorting all the food out - I can't bring any of it in my shipment ..
and put all my cooking gadgets and snap seal boxes etc back away in a more organized way...

I wend through 5 years of paperwork and put together a file of important documents that need to come on the flight and shredded anything I don't need...

Today is the wardrobe day - I need to find winter clothes and see if they fit and put them aside to go in our flight luggage. I haven't had a 'winter' for 5 years and my only long trousers are linen... it might not take too long !!
Maybe then I'll take photos of everything for insurance purposes - just incase.....

Wow, you've done a lot! Sounds like you're organized! sometimes moving keeps us more in order and doesn't let junk pile up. Good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM

As I am going thru boxes, it seems easier to me to sort stuff. When I moved, it was just, get it moved! Now, I am putting things away, and if it does not have a place to go...I guess that would be the Goodwill box. I have so much junque! Like 50 different spices, and really, how much do I even cook any more? It is so hard to get rid of stuff. I am not a hoarder..but I have a hard time with parting with things, especially clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues