Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 07:12 AM

200 posts, read 286,461 times

Advertisements

This weekend we got a lot done! We painted the window frames and put in all new storm windows. More peg board up in the garage. Garage ceiling is prepped and ready to paint. More wallpaper stripped in kitchen, walls patched and ready for paint. At this rate, we will be ready to put our house on the market by Christmas!!! Now, what to do with all of our stuff..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 05:17 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,561,981 times
well On Weds the packers arrived and packed everything we own and loaded it on a container. I have my suitcases and we are booked on a flight tomorrow !! its come around really quickly... but I'll soon be in the same time window as the majority on here... just an 18 hour flight tomorrow to go...

Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 AM

33 posts, read 170,045 times
Hello all! Jumping in here, hope you dont mind :-)

We are trying to get our house ready to go on the market in early spring... lots needs to be done, lots of decluttering and minor repairs...

Sooooooooo I thought this would be a fun thread to participate in to keep me on track!

So Hi Everyone!!

With that said, I read the first post and I need to deal with things I already have sorted into bags, but they are piled into a corner...

Todays task... dealing with that pile!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM

10,110 posts, read 19,354,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearz View Post
Hello all! Jumping in here, hope you dont mind :-)

We are trying to get our house ready to go on the market in early spring... lots needs to be done, lots of decluttering and minor repairs...

Sooooooooo I thought this would be a fun thread to participate in to keep me on track!

So Hi Everyone!!

With that said, I read the first post and I need to deal with things I already have sorted into bags, but they are piled into a corner...

Todays task... dealing with that pile!

Wow---you're where I was almost this time a year ago! the time goes fast!

My biggest recommendation---you can never get rid of too much stuff. Despite several months of sorting, pruning, etc, I still ended up with more stuff at my new house than I wished for.

Its amazing the stuff we accumulate!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,515,962 times
Well, this week I stripped wallpaper out of one of the 3 bathrooms, (the last one I needed to do), and repainted, switched a mirror, etc. Looks good.
I washed all of the windows, cleaned gutters, washed the black mold off of the roof, etc.
A couple of days ago a dealer stopped by and gave me over $500 for junk...that was nice.

Today I powerwashed the huge back deck, rails, etc, and brought in all the hoses, etc for the winter. I then started painting the living room....(the "great room", with 17' ceilings).

I know some of those things are not "moving" things, but they still have to get done, so I CAN do the moving stuff......

I'm nearing the 250 day mark of when we might be able to make the move. Next week I get to go down to the Florida home for a couple of weeks, and do a bunch of projects down there...can't wait!!

Frank

Old 10-27-2010, 02:30 PM

654 posts, read 3,452,404 times
My timeframe to make the actual move is around December, but this week I am working on consolidating and throwing out old stuff that I never use anymore. Fortunately since most of my boxes have never been unpacked, that will save me alot of time in re-packing. I'm just working with the few boxes that I have opened (cd/dvd's, kitchen essentials and such) and so far have a nice pile of trash that will be soon going out. My burn barrel is gonna be busy this weekend as stuff that I can burn will be incinerated.

My furniture, I plan to just sell and get rid of it all, since I can easily replace them once I get settled and get a new place to live.

One day at a time!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 AM

Garage is finished! Yay! Now I am painting the kitchen after stripping out the wallpaper. Speaking of kitchen, I believe every square inch of my cabinet space is taken up with things we rarely use. Time to get rid of more stuff!!!!! It truly is amazing the amount of stuff one accumulates over time......

Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,349,905 times
Default The Longer It Takes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewnsue View Post
Time to get rid of more stuff!!!!! It truly is amazing the amount of stuff one accumulates over time......
Our move is delayed due to the bad housing market, but in a way it's good. The longer I live here the more stuff I notice that I can do without and/or don't need. I'm becoming less attached to "things" as time goes on. So there is something good in everything!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Finally, finally finished painting in the kitchen. Did I mention that wallpaper is the devil? lol Painting the bedrooms is next, and of course more getting rid of stuff.

I am putting in for my Alaska nursing license this week. Have to have a license to get a job, have to have a job before we can move.....baby steps!!!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,930,774 times
Scrubbed the kitchen floor again, in case a miracle happens and a buyer materializes out of nowhere. I haven't had one yet but the realtor says the price is already low, and it is just the tough real estate market here.

Living in an absolutely pristine home at all times isn't as bad as I thought it would be. With new paint throughout and new carpet throughout, virtually all clutter removed (donated, thrown out, or in boxes neatly stacked in a closet), and a little less furniture, there isn't much to keep clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues