Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

Parts stores are a good source for boxes, especially if they are just moving in. Make friends there.

My feed store has a big cardboard dumpster that I raid regularly for boxes.

My adopted mom and dad are food pantry volunteers, they get wonderful boxes there for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:48 PM

59 posts, read 128,506 times
Just under two weeks until my move, have just about everything but the essentials packed up. Stacking and organizing boxes and suddenly the 5 x 8 UHaul trailer I'll be picking up for the move seems small. Hopefully just because I'm a worrier by nature. Sorting things into a trailer pile, a bed of my pickup (w/ a topper -- extra space!) pile, and a cab of my truck (not a lot of space, but it helps) pile.

The biggest obstacles are my 3 bicycles because they're just so awkward to load anywhere but on a hitch rack, and my iMac and a rather large oak desk that I'm just not willing to part with.

Pretty good pile built that will be going to donation center in a few days. Once that's out of the apartment, I'll have a lot more room to operate....then to time getting rid of my bed early enough to find a taker but not too early that I suddenly have to sleep on my floor for a week.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Droppin, how far are you moving?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Finishing up packing today, moving self and cat into hotel tonight. Movers come tomorrow morning, be the good Lord willing etc. etc.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Finishing up packing today, moving self and cat into hotel tonight. Movers come tomorrow morning, be the good Lord willing etc. etc.
Wonderful - - how exciting! Will you stay in that hotel until you can close on your condo? I'm glad you found one that will allow your cat to remain with you, so you don't have to board him/her too.

Droppin, good luck in finding someone to take your bed who will work with your moving schedule, so that you don't have to sleep on the floor. I moved across country with a 5'x8' u-haul trailer back in 1977, and it did not hold nearly as much as I expected. I guess my expectations were unrealistic. But anyway, we got rid of some things, stuffed it completely full, and successfully moved from Virginia to San Diego despite that.

I almost feel guilty about posting here because I have been moved for a month and a day by now! Amazing. But with selling my old house and setting up the new one, I still feel so physically and emotionally stressed out and overworked, as though I was still in the process of moving. I thought I would be able to rest for a couple of days after the move, but oh no, my real estate guy wanted to get the house on the market a half week later (so I had to get it fixed up and cleaned for that) and then a half week after that it was under contract. That's a dream come true, except I am exhausted still from the move! LOL Closing on the old house is just two and a half weeks away, and then I think I will be able to FINALLY relax. Meanwhile I am almost a general contractor, trying to find and manage an electrician, plumber, roofer, and handyman all by myself. I need to get estimates and repairs (that the buyers require) done in time. Not easy in this heat and the roofer isn't very reliable so I am riding herd on him.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 AM

WSMoon, best of luck to you and your kitty. That's quite the downsize, 3 bedroom house to a one bed condo. So excited for you!

NOLA, you haven't really finished moving IMO. You must be so tired! Poor kid,

Two days ago we cleaned up the shop and moved another tractor inside for dismantle and sell parts off of.

We may have to wait awhile, something about the IRS and the new house. Whatever we need to do for mom to get it right, we will. Meantime that gives us more opportunity to sell, purge and donate.

Last edited by CCc girl; 08-02-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 12:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Parts stores are a good source for boxes, especially if they are just moving in. Make friends there.

My feed store has a big cardboard dumpster that I raid regularly for boxes.

My adopted mom and dad are food pantry volunteers, they get wonderful boxes there for me.
Thanks, CCcgirl

Old 08-02-2015, 05:23 PM

YW, Tim. Grocery stores do a lot of their stocking shelves at night, starting around the dinner hour. Take a visit and see if you can hook up. I've been told the fun freaky people come after daylight so be prepared

Old 08-02-2015, 06:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
I have 73 in home packed ,don't know how many more.I have probably same amount done in another building.
Still a ways to go!!!
I bought my boxes bulk from Home Depot,nice sturdy assorted boxes.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 AM

Oof, HD boxes are so expensive. UHaul beats the pants off of their prices IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues