Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM

479 posts, read 2,215,136 times

Advertisements

I found a house that I am interested in buying, but it is in the same neighborhood as a family member, so I'm wondering if that means it is too close? We get along good with them, and if I mentioned it to them, I'm sure they would say it is fine, but I am wondering if it is just something that we should just not do. Note: it is in the city that we both grew up in; population 30k ish. Both have kids within a few years apart from each other.

Just wondering what your thought were. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
I wouldn't worry a bit. Unless you were right next door or directly across the street and worried about this family member syping on you or intruding into your lives (or visa verse). Many of my family members live within blocks of each other but they have their own lives and whatnot. And just living in the same city is not ever an issue unless there is bad blood and you don't want to risk ever running into each other at the supermarket.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,588,778 times
Are you planning on regularly dropping in on them uninvited? No? Good! No problem.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 AM

28 posts, read 103,590 times
Prple: I don't know why you're even worried about it. I don't know where you got the idea that there's some rule prohibiting one from living within the same neighborhood as or near another family member.

I honestly think it is ideal to live close to family. We need a strong support network or a strong support system, and this one is best provided by family. And I honestly think this is the reason why we Americans are so prone to depression and things like that. It is because we strive to be overly independent, and in doing such, we detach ourselves from family and try to maintain a safe distance -- both physically and emotionally -- from them.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,070,484 times
I think it would depend on whether or not you get along with the family member. I lived in the same neighborhood as my mother, mother n law, brother and sister. Honestly, we rarely saw each other. Now that we live out of state, hubby and I get drilled on how we never visit. I do kind of miss going for a walk and dropping in on family members when I felt like it. I say go for the house if you have no issues with that family member.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,554,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
I found a house that I am interested in buying, but it is in the same neighborhood as a family member, so I'm wondering if that means it is too close? We get along good with them, and if I mentioned it to them, I'm sure they would say it is fine, but I am wondering if it is just something that we should just not do. Note: it is in the city that we both grew up in; population 30k ish. Both have kids within a few years apart from each other.

Just wondering what your thought were. Thanks!
Would you buy it if they didn't live there? There's you answer.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,050,360 times
If you get along with them then there shouldn't be a problem. Also, if they're not the kind that always ask for things (i.e., they need a favor, help unloading a truck, etc.) or the types that constantly drop by uninvited.

Otherwise, I think it's great that your kids can grow up with them and that you have someone to trust in your neighborhood in case of emergencies or other situations.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 PM

71 posts, read 76,094 times
My older sister and her two daughters might be moving less than 2 miles away from me pretty soon and frankly I wouldn't like it because of the type of person she is.

I say as long as you didn't bother them or try to ruin their life there shouldn't be any problems basically as long as you kept your distance.

As for me however I might have to worry about interference in my life by someone who has been in her own town for several years.

Whenever I go to stay a few days with her I want to tear out my hair and go home I can't imagine the proximity between us and that she would be able to stop over at anytime and bother me.

There will be little privacy and unwanted visits from other relatives who will come to see her and wanting me to come over all the time and the dreaded sister bonding at each others homes (ick!)

Who I will be seeing along with her children and unexpected visits, embarrassing me in some way (like doing or saying something stupid to a guy I like also my other friends) and trouble.

Also running into her in a night in the town, hanging with my friends, her following me or meddling in some way.

She knows nothing about me and I want to keep it that way.

I'm not looking forward to this.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 PM

419 posts, read 838,151 times
Are you buying the home because it's in the same neighborhood as them? If they were to sell their home in a couple months and move far away to another state: would you be disappointed you didn't buy a different home in your area?

Oh, the OP was posted way back in April 2010.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:57 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,541,297 times
Another walking dead zombie thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues