Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:15 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Any truck that size is going to be about the same comfort level as far as the seat. A newer truck will be better than an older one. Your best bet if you are concerned with back problems, is every 150-200 miles, get out of the truck, stretch, and walk around.

The heavier you load the truck, the better it will ride.
Driver seat has air ride. They are smooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I rented a 26 - foot Penske truck for a 1000 mile move and I’d never do it again. First was the bait and switch on the day of the move. The nicely equipped IH truck they showed me a week before was “unavailable” and instead I got a decrepit pile-o-crap with uncomfortable seats and a loud engine. It was a take it or leave it moment, and they won because I had no choice - we had to move that day.

On the highway the truck's governed diesel screamed and topped out at every downshift and the automatic transmission pretty much killed any fuel advantage over a similar gasoline engine. I averaged less than 10 MPG. The high stance and center of gravity made driving a white-knuckle experience as semis blew by me poking along at the top speed of 65 MPH. On one stretch of I-10 in NM the damned truck nearly rolled over when my front right wheel hit a low area where they were paving the shoulder. I could feel the whole truck leaning right and knew if I corrected the wheel to the left it was all over. Fortunately the paving leveled out and I was able to ease it back into the lane.

At the other end the Penske rep asked me to describe my trip and I told him it was easily one of the most stressful experiences of my life. In contrast, a few months later I rented a 24-foot UHaul and not only was it more powerful, the lower center of gravity made driving that beast much easier and far less stressful.
sounds like some of that was personal issues with driving something that big. Penskes 26' straight truck is 13'2" same hieght as a rigs box trailer, it takes more than you think to roll one over, they drive and handle just fine, which brings me to the low area; the duals on the rear of any truck are wider than the front track width, so if your front wheel dropped off, your dual was already half off. You just sound like you're afraid to drive something that big. They usually go 70, it just takes it Int'l a bit longer to get to it, than a Frieghtliner. A similar size gas engine would be a bigger fuel hog. I took a Penske from here in Louisville Ky to Blacksburg Va, was near ¼ when we were headed back, filled up and got back with a ¾tank.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:35 AM

All I'm gonna say is many moving companies lease their trucks from Penske.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues