U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 AM

16,409 posts, read 28,925,546 times

Advertisements

So I have kind of been debating back and forth of whether I should pick up a car before or after I move. I'll be coming from Miami to Los Angeles.

Reasons to buy a car after I move:

1. A 1-way ticket is cheaper than gas money.
2. Buying plates, registration and insurance in Florida and then changing to CA seems like a lot of unnecessary work/fees.
3. Tons of wear on the car driving (2750 miles)
4. Time
5. No worries of buying a used car and it breaking down 1000 miles away from home

Reasons to buy a car before I move:

1. No added stress of searching for a car
2. Can get straight to job hunting
3. Can pick up and go at any time I want

Honestly, I am making this post because something just feels odd about it all. I think about it and in my head, the best thing is to buy the car when I move out there and have 5-6 prospect cars and buy one of those, and with pros/cons it feels that I should. Something in the back of my head is telling me this might not be so good of an idea, so I thought I might ask some of you and see from experience or just your opinions on it.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 AM

25,830 posts, read 37,943,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
So I have kind of been debating back and forth of whether I should pick up a car before or after I move. I'll be coming from Miami to Los Angeles.

Reasons to buy a car after I move:

1. A 1-way ticket is cheaper than gas money.
2. Buying plates, registration and insurance in Florida and then changing to CA seems like a lot of unnecessary work/fees.
3. Tons of wear on the car driving (2750 miles)
4. Time
5. No worries of buying a used car and it breaking down 1000 miles away from home

Reasons to buy a car before I move:

1. No added stress of searching for a car
2. Can get straight to job hunting
3. Can pick up and go at any time I want

Honestly, I am making this post because something just feels odd about it all. I think about it and in my head, the best thing is to buy the car when I move out there and have 5-6 prospect cars and buy one of those, and with pros/cons it feels that I should. Something in the back of my head is telling me this might not be so good of an idea, so I thought I might ask some of you and see from experience or just your opinions on it.

Thanks!
I would get it after. Another consideration for you. The state I moved from (VA) and the state I moved to (KY) both tax cars as personal property. I know FL doesn't do this but I'm not sure about CA. Also changing your insurance may get expensive depending on local rates.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,461,651 times
Cant see it taking more than a day or two to get a car once at your destination,just go to the nearest car dealer.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 AM

16,409 posts, read 28,925,546 times
That's what I figured too, I just felt like I was missing something.. like one of those things where you're thinking about something really hard and in the background everyone is shouting "wtf are you thinking its so obvious you shouldnt do this"

Old 05-23-2010, 09:22 AM

10,058 posts, read 17,913,462 times
Do look at the tax implications either way. You'll be assessed sales tax where you buy it, then, at least here in TX you may have to pay sales tax again, I'm not sure how it works, I just know its a consideration.

Also, you are moving into CA? Don't they have all sorts of emission standards? Better to get a car there that's equipped to meet their standards.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,685,846 times
I'd buy it here in CA . Like someone else stated, if the emissions arent up to par for CA it is VERY COSTLY to get them to CA standards. Also I once bought an SUV off a lease at a dealer here in CA. The car was from FL. The dealer tried to get me to pay taxes and license for an out of state vehicle. That was going to be upwards of $900! Luckily I fought them on it as they did not disclose that this vehicle was from FLA and I went to a CA dealer expecting a CA car. I didnt end up having to pay it but bringing a car from another state is very costly.

Unless you are dying to drive across country ( which you could do with a driveaway car if you really wanted to. ) I would do the half day flight and then spend those days you would have been driving .. to find your car.
If you are coming to Los Angeles area, you can get rental cars at LAX for $15 a day unlimited mileage.. rental cars at the airport can be really cheap. Just go to orbitz.com

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 AM

166 posts, read 461,969 times
Buy it in CA. As the previous post (by Jasmine728) mentioned, the emissions issue can be quite costly, and likely for an out-of-state vehicle.

We were due to upgrade shortly after arriving out there, so my gf and I traded in our vehicles, avoiding any potential bs. Found our replacement vehicles with only 2 days of looking around. Entire registration (plates, taxes, title application) taken care of at the dealership and only thing we had to go to DMV for was to get our CA driver's licenses.

And perhaps most important.... If you buy in CA and encounter problems with the car the dealership will be local and not several thousand miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues