Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times

Advertisements

We recently moved from Charlotte, NC to Durham, N C. To transport our belongings we hired a very likable young man, the owner of Identical Twins Pro-Moving Company from Mt. Airy, NC. He seemed very honest and hardworking. We paid him by check as soon as the move was completed. Big mistake! When we looked closely at our furniture, we found that much of it had been damaged in the move. I contacted the owner of Identical Twins Pro-Moving Co. At first he seemed willing to pay for repairs. However, as I tried to reach him to discuss the repairs, he stopped returning my calls and emails. Now after close to 25 calls, I realize that he does not plan to repair the furniture. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can force him to pay for the repairs? Small Claims Court? Better Business Bureau?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
Have you filed a formal claim in writing as required under North Carolina law? The settlement will be based on the pre-existing damage noted at the time of pick up and the amount of valuation you selected and paid for on the carrier's bill of lading as defined in the states MaxRate Tariff.

North Carolina regulates intrastate movers through the North Carolina Utilities Commission. According to their consumer publication, Your Rights and Responsibilities, "claims should be filed with the mover as soon as possible to speed settlement. However, you have 9 months after delivery in which to file the claim. If the mover disallows any or all of your claim, you can file a civil lawsuit against the mover.

However, such action must be undertaken within two years and one day from the date when notice in writing is given by the mover to you that your claim has been disallowed. DO NOT dispose of any damaged items or the packing materials used for those items since they will be needed for settlement of your claim and evidence in any lawsuit.

The Commission’s Public Staff, Transportation Rates Division (919/733-7766) is available to assist you with disputed claims on an informal basis. The Commission (919/733-4036) also has a formal complaint process available to you in the event that disputed claims are not settled, either directly with the mover or with the assistance of the Public Staff."

Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
You may want to look into filing an insurance claim. Homeowner's and renter's insurance typically cover a percentage of your policy's value during a move. If the mover is liable, the policy will reimburse you, and then go after the mover to get their money back. It could be a lot less hassle for you to do it that way.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks, RikkiTikki. This is very helpful. (BTW, your name came up the other day as my kids were listing the books they rescued before the move from our home of 36 years.)

Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
Quote:
(BTW, your name came up the other day as my kids were listing the books they rescued before the move from our home of 36 years.)
Funny! That's the only book my son took out of my parents house when we closed their estate. He remembered my mother reading it to him when he was four. She shared a 'secret' that is how they came to name me.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 AM

My daughter is currently moving to Durham, so I am once again investigating movers. In the process I came across a firm called Hire-a-Helper. Lo and behold! the identical Twin movers work with them and have 14 Five Star rating reviews from satisfied customers. i find this hard to believe because when I was trying to deal with them, several other people read my posts and complained about similar problems with Identical Twins - inflating the cost, damaging the furniture, refusing to pay for repairs and not returning complaint calls. Next out of curiosity, I went to Angie's List and found that they are members of that list. I am searching for a way to report their dishonesty to Angie's List lest someone else be conned into thinking that they are an honest reputable company.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Closed for review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues