Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times

Advertisements

Does anyone not from MD acutally like it? For someone who visits I mean. No one ever seems to say anything positive about it. its always negative. Does anyone actually like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I'm from Northern Virginia so Maryland is no stranger to me. I have pretty positive impressions of Maryland. Baltimore is a cool city with lots of interesting neighborhoods, albeit one that is incredibly mismanaged and with an unacceptable crime rate. There's great seafood. It's somewhat progressive. You have Ocean City which is great for it's in-your-face tackiness. I like the Orioles. You've got cute towns in the Eastern Shore. And so far as suburban wastelands go, Montgomery and Howard counties are pretty decent, with a bit more character, history and planning than most. If I were to find myself moving back to the DC area, I would choose Maryland over Virginia to live in, with the possible exception of Arlington and Alexandria.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Yeah, I'm from Denver, now in Phoenix, and I love Maryland, especially Montgomery County-- especially Chevy Chase! Baltimore is a pretty neat city, and western Maryland is beautiful scenery. It is so beautiful, so green looking compared to out west. Even though you can be in the middle of the DC metro area, you are surrounded by trees, roads that wind through the forest, and having some humidity feels good for a change. It's also a lot more progressive politically, a lot more high-end jobs and corporations there, a higher caliber professional ethic there than you find in middle America. MD (and DC) is definitely my favorite state on the east coast by a long shot.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:12 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I lived there for 15 years and couldn't wait to leave, which we did 2 months ago. Too flat, except western MD (which has only low paying jobs), too hot and humid in the summer, unfriendly people, too much traffic and developments EVERYWHERE, bad air quality. I HATED the traffic. On the plus side, lots of things to do, lots of diverse restaurants, good jobs in the DC area....so it might be for some people, but not for me.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,870 times
I live in montgomery county, MD. I've been to baltimore, cumberland, ocean city, annapolis, etc... and I work in Frederick for my 2nd job.

Here are some positives:
- nice scenery and very green
- good beaches and an active scene in ocean city
- if you look for them, there are things to do around here
- the further away from DC you are, the friendlier people are (except MAYBE baltimore due to crime)
- lots of great restaurants

Negatives:
- TRAFFIC
- rude people esp near DC
- crime
- easy to get lost
- crowding
- TAXES
- competitive job market
- too liberal, yet leaves the poor to fend for themselves

Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'm from Northern Virginia so Maryland is no stranger to me. I have pretty positive impressions of Maryland. Baltimore is a cool city with lots of interesting neighborhoods, albeit one that is incredibly mismanaged and with an unacceptable crime rate. There's great seafood. It's somewhat progressive. You have Ocean City which is great for it's in-your-face tackiness. I like the Orioles. You've got cute towns in the Eastern Shore. And so far as suburban wastelands go, Montgomery and Howard counties are pretty decent, with a bit more character, history and planning than most. If I were to find myself moving back to the DC area, I would choose Maryland over Virginia to live in, with the possible exception of Arlington and Alexandria.
wow.you know, this is exactly the same type of post i would put. Especially that last part. If I ever find myself back in the DC area, I'm picking Maryland.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Maryland is the New Jersey of the South.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 AM

^^ No.

And thanks for some of the responses. Its great to know that not everyone hates Maryland!, although many do.But It really made me happy to know that. I didn't even think I would get any responses! Thanks again

Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,159 times
I really wanted to like Maryland and the DC region. Baltimore offers more than the "popular wisdom" seems to suggest even if it isn't, ahem, predominantly "aesthetically pleasing", let's just say. Liked going to the shoreline. There are still beautiful, sparsely populated regions to the west. DC has so much to offer and is downright beautiful in areas.
Ah yes, but the congestion. Uggh. The traffic is horrendous and DC is worst in the country. Alot of ugly suburbs and people who would never think for a second of using public transportation, unlike Boston or NY. Overcrowded and that sentiment by most is the #1 reason I always believe for why you see alot of dour faces and uncheerful mannerisms. No one smiles. Road rage and blatantly running red stop lights in busy intersections is far more pronounced here, even in supposed "family communities" like Columbia than it is in New York or Philly. I've never been thrilled with central Florida and alot of the northeast when it comes to unfriendly residents, but Maryland is far worse. Couldn't stand it the 1-1/2 years I resided there and would never even consider going back to live.
I have a friend down there who is a cop and can't wait to transfer one day. For the time, he is in the process of moving his family all the way out past Hagerstown to commute to Prince George's Co.! He hates the region every day and refuses to srape by in an expensive real estate market where most don't even enjoy living. His wife, a small-town New Englander most of her life, is depressed and stopped leaving the apartments they have had in Columbia and Greenbelt- the drivers scared her, she couldn't make friends, everyone is cold. The crime rate is amongst the worst in the country, state-wise, and city-wise (Baltimore & DC both) He is a city guy and yet being stuck in the boonies without much entertainment and facing a very long commute is still all the worth while as far as they are concerned.

Last edited by unknown stuntman; 06-19-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 09:38 AM

actually, i didn't make this thread to hear how much people hate it that have actually lived here or do, but people who don't live here or have never lived and have visited to see how they liked/disliked it. sorry . I should have made that more clear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.