Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times

Advertisements

My wife, born & raised in Germany but now a U.S. citizen, teaches German (and must sometimes teach the ENGLISH grammar that her native-speaker colleagues omit...) in a middle school in a Dayton, OH suburb. Our district is one of the better ones in the state, as many of the students are from families where both parents are working in the professions and value education. Teachers in this area start out in the low $30,000 range (with a bachelor's). Your pay will rise rapidly as you gain your Master's (if your education isn't already equal to a Master's like my wife's German Magistern was). The cost of living here in the Midwest is far less than most of the East Coast (especially the Northeast) so your standard of living may be somewhat higher here. However, (IMHO) I believe that places like NYC, Philly, NJ, and the rest of the surrounding states offer much more cultural and historical diversions. But living in the Midwest isn't all that bad either. We LOVE the Western U.S. but find the cost of living much higher out there, too. We can always visit there again...

As far as landing a job, I believe luck plays a large role in your ability to get hired by a school district. My wife had actually applied for an English teacher position at a neighboring district but the one that actually hired her had asked around at neighboring districts when they desperately needed a German teacher. My guess is that ability to teach math, science or a foreign language might open more possibilities. But all of the disciplines are needed at one time or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:09 PM

11 posts, read 13,088 times
Thanks for all the info guys!! Much appreciated.

I've been teaching 8 years in the UK and I have reached a fairly respectable position, that pays pretty well. I really don't fancy have to go back to studying for a masters degree. Especially as it wouldn't make me a better teacher!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Have you looked into the VIF Program? I taught in London for a year through VIF...and have taught with several VIF teachers in Atlanta from England, Canada, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, etc. Just a thought...VIF International Education

When I taught in London, I took about a $10,000 pay cut from my salary in Atlanta...but that was in 2003. Apparently salaries have increased quite a bit since then or either you have several years of teaching experience? **I just notice your statement above about 8 years of experience. For comparison purposes...in Fulton County, Georgia (an Atlanta system) your salary would be $48,000.

You might need to consider cost of living in addition to salary, as it varies widely in the U.S.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks Deacon, very useful.

I thought about VIF. Isn't it a temporary programme though? If I move I want it to be permanent, so I can settle down and have a family in a fantastic part of the world.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:05 PM

One other question.

How different is the curriculum over in the US. I know this won't necessarily be an easy question to answer, but after a few years of teaching GCSE I'm getting a bit stuck in my ways!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.