Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know about that. Schools like Binghamton, Geneseo and some programs at schools like U. of Buffalo, U Albany and Stony Brook, among others are pretty good too.
These are perrineal 2nd and 3rd tier universities. UNC - Chapel Hill is a Top 20 university and a Top 5 public university.

There is NO comparison. Furthermore, UNC is a well-regarded school in NYC. I know many finance, consulting, & fashion/pr professionals in NYC who graduated from UNC and successfully secured internships & full-time positions in Manhattan at top tier employers (Goldman, CSFB, Lehman- back in the day!, Saks Fifth Avenue's buyer training program, Bloomingdale's buyer training program, Bain & Co, McKinsey, Conde Naste). Many of these companies recruit ON CAMPUS at UNC, whereas they don't at the second-rate SUNY schools.

A diploma from UNC WILL open doors. A diploma from Binghamton or other SUNY schools may or may not, depending on your connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:29 PM

205 posts, read 501,654 times
My advice is to go to the best school that you can get into for the money. A well respected university for undergrad will help you get into dental school - even if the BA/BS is not from a school in NYC. I completely understand your desire to go to school in the city. I went to NYU for that very reason and it was a blast. I got a great education in a place that I love.

Since you are planning on going to dental school, please, please take a long term view on student loan debt. If you think that you'll need to take out loans for dental school, you could end up with a hefty amount to pay back if you also get loans for your undergrad degree. One of my good friends owes over $100k in student loan debt and it's a total drag on finances in her 30s.

If it were me, I'd apply to NYU and Columbia and see how the financial aid dice fall. Since you have the option to live with your grandparents, the net price with financial aid/scholarships may be favorable to UNC-Chapel Hill or other schools where you need to pay for room and board on top of your tuition. I know you didn't specifically mention UNC but since it's is a top notch/well respected school, it seems like a good option. If the cost picture really doesn't work out, I'd probably wait on NY for now. If it really is where you want to live, the networking from dental school will be way more important than your undergrad to your future career.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,507,409 times
luxe:

Unless your family income is somewhere north of 180k, you may not pay that full amount at Columbia. Like many private colleges Columbia promises to meet demonstrated need (the difference between total cost and federally estimated ability to pay) UNLIKE most private colleges, Columbia endeavors to meet that through grants and not loans, IIUC.

If I were you I would apply to UNC AND to a couple of the new york schools, and then see not only where I got in, but what financial aid packages I get. I might also consider a UNC campus other than Chapel Hill, just in case you don't get into Chapel Hill AND you don't get adequate financial aid packages at the NY schools you get into.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Luxe,

I wouldn't worry so much about location at this point. Unless you get accepted to Columbia (where they give a lot of grants), Chapel Hill is your best option. NYU and Fordham are great but pricey and not generous when it comes to aid and they aren't any better than Chapel Hill anyways, so they may not be academically or financially worth it unless you receive scholarship. Also, other universities and community colleges in North Carolina are on the same level as ones in NYC.

If New York doesn't work out right now and you end up staying in NC, you can always apply for summer internships and jobs in New York City and spend your summers there until you can permanently move there for dental school. Just keep your grades up and stay involved in school, and you'll have a shot at many internships. Students from public and private schools from all over the country come to intern in NYC during the summer. You'll have most of your 20s to enjoy NYC, I would just focus on choosing what is academically and financially the best option for you. Move to NYC if it works out, but don't move if it means sacrificing the quality of your education and paying more than you need to for a great education.

Last edited by jayp1188; 06-21-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.