Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 AM

8 posts, read 20,588 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am currently a senior in high school with excellent grades and would like some opinions regarding my future plans. I visited NYC many times and I enjoy it there and I would like to live there, however; I don't know if it would be better to wait until I finish my undergraduate degree or just go ahead and move after high school. Housing most likely wouldn't be a problem as I could live with my grandparents while in school, but I am concerned about out of state tuition since I live in NC. If I did move, would it be wise to attend a community college for two years and then transfer to a four year college? I will ultimately move there because I'd like to attend dental school in NYC, but to me it seems as though it would be beneficial financially to go ahead and move now because in about four to five years my grandparents might not be there and they are a crucial part of my plan. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,268,896 times
Well if your grades are truly that excellent, then you should apply to Columbia and NYU.
If you don't go in, don't go. It's a poor financial decision to go to NYC (and EXPENSIVE city) just so you can have a thrill out of it. At least with those universities you would get a good name out of your education.
Wait until you finish your undergrad or transfer (to a private university (NYU or Columbia), it would be almost pointless to transfer to a public).
If you must go live in NYC, there cheapest way would be to go live with your grandparents, go to community college, and get an instate price at a local public university.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
If you'd be living with your grandparents I don't see why not.

But if out of state tuition is a problem and you want to get to NYC sooner--
You could go to your community college for the first year where you live and then switch to a NYC community college (Borough of Manhattan CC, LaGuardia CC, Kingsborough CC, Queensborough CC just to name a few) for the 2nd year. You'd just have to send your old CC transcripts to the new CC you plan on going to (you must live in the county of the CC though, so have proof of living at your grandparent address)
You will be able to qualify for in-state tuition as an actual NYC resident by the time you transfer to a 4 year university in NYC (most states qualify instate tuition for people who lived in that state for at least a year)
You should check out how long you have to live in NY to qualify for instate intuition, because I'm actually not sure how long you have to live there to qualify yourself as an instate "resident".

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 AM

8 posts, read 20,588 times
Lol, I didn't mean to make it seem as though I'm guaranteed to get in anywhere but I have a 4.0 gpa so I think I'm a pretty good candidate. Also, I plan on applying to many places just to see if I can get in or not, but why would it be pointless to transfer to a public university in NYC?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,255,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe View Post
Lol, I didn't mean to make it seem as though I'm guaranteed to get in anywhere but I have a 4.0 gpa so I think I'm a pretty good candidate. Also, I plan on applying to many places just to see if I can get in or not, but why would it be pointless to transfer to a public university in NYC?
New Yorkers are huge snobs when it comes to college. What school you attend really makes a difference. This is something that people outside of the northeast don't realize until after they move here (and it's too late). It doesn't matter elsewhere because ultra-elite college graduates don't congregate in large numbers like they do in New York, Boston and San Francisco. Ivy-Leaguers in Manhattan are a dime a dozen.

My advice to anyone applying to college is: Go the the best school you can get into and afford without going into crippling debt. For example, UNC-Chapel Hill is a very good school, much better than any state school in New York. It would be silly to go to a community college in Queens if you had the option of going to a school like UNC just because you want live in New York.

I went to a very good (and expensive) private college and received an excellent education but it was not top-tier. When I was applying to schools I didn't even think about rankings. I thought a good education was a good education. This is true in a place like Hawaii (where I grew up) but not in New York. Had I known how competitive New York was, I would have chosen a top-tier school.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 06-18-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
I agree with tpk-nyc. I'd stick with a good school in NC for now (like UNC-Chapel Hill, as mentioned above), concentrate on doing a great job, then go to NYC for grad school. If NYC is in your future you'll have years to enjoy it; might as well enjoy the time with your grandparents, save money, and move to NYC for dental school. You'll probably end up being a much more competitive dental school candidate if you stay in NC where you won't be worrying about money as much, and will therefore have more time to spend on both your schoolwork and any outside activities (internships, research, etc.) that will give you a more robust resume than you would if you were spending all your time in NYC trying to scramble to afford to pay the rent or buy food.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Go to NYC. If you go to a NY school and then do your internship, it will be more prestigious than going to a school NC.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Go to NYC. If you go to a NY school and then do your internship, it will be more prestigious than going to a school NC.
Very bad advice, and patently untrue.

UNC is far superior to ANY SUNY school, period.

This is pretty common knowledge to most educated people.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Doing an internship in NYC is valuable experience. Many employers around the country would be impressed with this. It will also really help them get a job in NYC for when they want to move here. They are much more likely to get a job in NYC if they did a internship here Vs. going to a college in NC. They will just be the average Joe trying to move to NYC if they did that. Take it from someone born and raised in NYC.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,255,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Doing an internship in NYC is valuable experience. Many employers around the country would be impressed with this. It will also really help them get a job in NYC for when they want to move here. They are much more likely to get a job in NYC if they did a internship here Vs. going to a college in NC. They will just be the average Joe trying to move to NYC if they did that. Take it from someone born and raised in NYC.
We're not comparing any-old-school in North Carolina vs. any-old-school in New York. We're comparing UNC vs. LaGuardia Community College. As someone who has taught at LaGuardia, I can tell you there is no comparison. LaGuardia is a two-year school for people who want to be home health aides. It's not where you go if you want to be a dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.