Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is this state ?
Arizona 5 4.81%
California 23 22.12%
Nevada 0 0%
New Mexico 53 50.96%
Texas 23 22.12%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 AM

12 posts, read 25,992 times

Advertisements

No one ever considers Delaware because of it's size...but I would say it's close to 40/50 and growing every minute of every day. North Carolina is growing at an enormous rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:28 PM

291 posts, read 752,451 times
New Mexico is not more "Spanish " nor older than Mexico....silly people.

New Mexico was just the backwaters of the Spanish Empire then called Nueva Espana with its capital and Viceroy in Mexico City ( and included the Phillipines, Central America, the old Lousiana Purchase and the State of Florida).

There a many, many stone, well laidout cities and towns with deeper Spanish roots within Mexico that Santa Fe will ever be.... anyone of them will blow it out of the water (or high desert). (google: Guanajuato, Puebla or Zacatecas for starters)

Most of the Spanish colonizers of early Northern New Mexico where in fact christianized Indians from the State of Tlaxcala. No white Spaniards in prancing horses. There was never any gold or silver in New Mexico to attract the greedy Spaniards in great numbers.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
New Mexico .... "mexican"

As being born and raised there... we do NOT have a "strong mexican" influence.

We have a strong "Spanish" influence from SPAIN..

Believe me, here it is a BIG deal.

You have obviously never set foot in Spain. (I lived there many years and married one).

Albuquerque has more in common with Mexican northern cities like Chihuahua or Saltillo than it has with Barcelona or Sevilla.

Travel and know your history dude.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
To answer the question I would think Cali or Texas.

A state people been sleeping on is Illinois. Illinois actually has the 4th largest Mexican population, more than New Mexico. There are over 1.5 million(12%) Mexicans in this state. Pilsen/Little Village, Chicago is said to make up the largest Mexican community outside of East. LA.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Please stop calling California ...Cali....

Cali is a city in Colombia.

need a nickname? call it the Left Coast.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
What do you think ?
I would say Texas.
My question to you is, why do you no longer announce the fact that you're from France? Is there a reason you don't want anyone to know this? (Judging by some of your threads, you certainly do seem to have an obsession with what goes on on this side of the Atlantic!)

Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
funny how the five people from New Mexico who commented on this thread all say Texas and not New Mexico, but the people who live out of state say New Mexico.

people must have not read my post on the previos page, I dont think people realize that most people in New Mexico are of Spanish decent and not Mexican.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
You have obviously never set foot in Spain. (I lived there many years and married one).

Albuquerque has more in common with Mexican northern cities like Chihuahua or Saltillo than it has with Barcelona or Sevilla.

Travel and know your history dude.

I dont think that Bradley meant you were going to find a culture like Spain here in the SW, you arnt going to find Barcelona or Madrid in the middle of the desert or 6,000 ft in the mountains, but the point is, most Hispanics are Spanish here in NM, to an outsiders perspective, it probably does resemble Mexico, but then again, outsiders seem to think they know it all about every state they pay a visit to, but other than Southern NM, the rest of NM does not remind me of Mexico at all.

btw, I have lived in New Mexico my whole life in different parts of the state, I just recently moved though, I will say South TX feels alot more like Mexico than NM does.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I dont think that Bradley meant you were going to find a culture like Spain here in the SW, you arnt going to find Barcelona or Madrid in the middle of the desert or 6,000 ft in the mountains, but the point is, most Hispanics are Spanish here in NM, to an outsiders perspective, it probably does resemble Mexico, but then again, outsiders seem to think they know it all about every state they pay a visit to, but other than Southern NM, the rest of NM does not remind me of Mexico at all.

btw, I have lived in New Mexico my whole life in different parts of the state, I just recently moved though, I will say South TX feels alot more like Mexico than NM does.
But Texas overall is much more diverse and multi-cultured than NM. Mexicans have little impact or influence on East Texas. On top of that; Texas has a much more diverse Latino population than NM.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The fact of the matter is, is that New Mexico, until recently, has not had a significant influx of Mexicans (at least not northern NM).

You get a MUCH different vibe in the Mexican enclaves of cities in California or Texas than you do in Albuquerque or Santa Fe or any of the Rio communities or the mountain towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.