Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've heard that if Black America was a separate country, it would be the 8th richest in the world. I've seen 17th richest too, but either way that is interesting.
If Black America was a separate country it will be at the same level than South Korea : about $830 billion ! And it's just the beginning !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
If Black America was a separate country it will be at the same level than South Korea : about $830 billion ! And it's just the beginning !
That's just buying power.

The GDP would probably be over $1 Trillion

Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's just buying power.

The GDP would probably be over $1 Trillion
I know, you must add exports too for example.With that Black America is superior to South Korea and Mexico.
But Hispanic America is already superior to Black America, and this gap will grow.
The question is : Will Asian America surpass Black America ? Asians are less numerous but their pop growth is really better and their skills are very higher

Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I know, you must add exports too for example.With that Black America is superior to South Korea and Mexico.
But Hispanic America is already superior to Black America, and this gap will grow.
The question is : Will Asian America surpass Black America ? Asians are less numerous but their pop growth is really better and their skills are very higher
Well, we also have to remember that Blacks as a group are growing in wealth as well. They are also climbing as far as educational attainment.

They are not declining.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, we also have to remember that Blacks as a group are growing in wealth as well. They are also climbing as far as educational attainment.

They are not declining.
I know they're climbing, and it's a very good thing, but slower than the asians ! It's really hard to know ^^

Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I know they're climbing, and it's a very good thing, but slower than the asians ! It's really hard to know ^^
Comparing American Blacks to American Asians is like comparing Brazil to Singapore.

Singapore is much wealthier on average, but Brazil also has lots of wealth despite its poverty-but is MUCH larger than Singapore.

Anyway, the circumstances for both groups is very different but that's another topic.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Asians who come here are often highly motivated and/or highly skilled immigrants. It's a self-selecting group. I'm pretty sure we're mostly not getting illiterate peasants in rural China who want nothing more from the US than air conditioning and free speech. Or that when we are getting that it's largely on the illegal side of Asian immigration.

If you look at immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa they also tend to average as quite successful. By some measures sub-Saharan "black" African immigrants are more educated than Asians and do better than many Southeast Asian groups. Caribbean blacks who come here are also fairly successful.

American-born blacks don't quite have the same situation. It's not a self-selecting group of motivated workers. It's descendants of people who didn't really want to be here. Oftentimes people who lost in a war between African kingdoms or tribes.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
in sociology class we learned that every race is superior to Hispanics in buying power, and when looking at the incomes of both male and female , Hispanics were the lowest at the end of the barrell , it was in my sociology text book 2008 version.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Asians who come here are often highly motivated and/or highly skilled immigrants. It's a self-selecting group. I'm pretty sure we're mostly not getting illiterate peasants in rural China who want nothing more from the US than air conditioning and free speech. Or that when we are getting that it's largely on the illegal side of Asian immigration.

If you look at immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa they also tend to average as quite successful. By some measures sub-Saharan "black" African immigrants are more educated than Asians and do better than many Southeast Asian groups. Caribbean blacks who come here are also fairly successful.

American-born blacks don't quite have the same situation. It's not a self-selecting group of motivated workers. It's descendants of people who didn't really want to be here. Oftentimes people who lost in a war between African kingdoms or tribes.
That's right.
But the asian immigration in the US is old you know (it is beginning in the 18th century) and at the beginning this immigration was low-skilled and discriminations occured.Asians triumphed with their hard work and will

Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
This is an interesting thread I must say. I might share this information on another site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.