Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?????
Coal 5 15.63%
Nuclear power 14 43.75%
Wind power 6 18.75%
Solar power 4 12.50%
Biomass 0 0%
Geothermal 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times

Advertisements

The cheapest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Anything but wind power, please.

I'm sorry, but those windmills are hideous. They destroy the landscape. Is there such a thing as "visual pollution"? I'm sorry. I don't want to look at them. It seems that wind farms often give people a severe case of "not in my backyard!"

Are the Merits of Wind Power Overblown? [Mackinac Center]

What, you mean you don't find this beautiful? These are all from the same area (Wallula Gap area near stateline of eastern OR/WA)...miles and miles of them...personally, I hate looking at them.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,750 times
ANYTHING that breaks up the suicide inducing monotony of hour after hour of FLAT NOTHINGNESS in West Texas is a welcome sight for these eyes!

Yeah, literally, the above scenery for 8+ HOURS!!!

As my dad used to say: they should put a prison out there because no matter what direction you ran in they'd still be able to see you for weeks.

Last edited by brubaker; 06-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Style baby, STYLE!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
ANYTHING that breaks up the suicide inducing monotony of hour after hour of FLAT NOTHINGNESS in West Texas is a welcome sight for these eyes!

Yeah, literally, the above scenery for 8+ HOURS!!!

As my dad used to say: they should put a prison out there ... you'd be able to spot escapees for weeks after they got out.
"Yep! There he is! That little speck right there! Shoot 'im."
They understood that, Texas is the king of wind power, this state is invaded more and more by wind turbines
And for West Texas it's a boon, it's very great for the economy

Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Personally, I like 'em. And I'm not sure why people are so adamant against them.
It's not like they're threatening Big Petroleum or The Coal Business in Texas.
I also like that Texas is pretty independent when it comes to our energy.
http://www.nerc.com/fileUploads/File/AboutNERC/maps/NERC_Regions_color.jpg (broken link)
Electric Reliability Council of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2010, 11:59 AM

Brubaker, just because that scenery isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean everyone (usually those living there) necessarily agrees. In the area I posted pics of, the economic boon has been for only a handful of local landowners. Being a libertarian and all, I can't blame them...but I still hate it. Yup, I plead guilty to NIMBY syndrome.

(The prison joke where I grew up was nearly the same--warden replying after being criticized for not going after the escapee for a week--"Look out the window--you can still see him.")

Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
Nuclear is the most safe, clean & currently economical source of electricty. The spent Uranium can be recycled and now produces very little waste which is containable. There are now small package nuclear power plants which require little maintenance and can power a small city.

Why aren't we building new nuclear power plants?

Coal, Oil, Wind, Natural Gas and those who stand to profit the most, coupled with unsubstantiated fear.
And we have a winner. There is absolutely no reason why we cannot solve almost all of our energy needs and lower emissions in the process. Nuclear energy is shockingly safe- far safer than coal (think of the deaths of miners), natural gas, and produces no significant pollution. The "disaster" situations that were possible half a century ago would not happen with modern technology, but the word nuclear (or even nucular) scares people and is opposed by uniformed hippies who are actually hurting the enviornment b/c of their uniformed opinions. All the other options are unrealistic, too costly, or produce too much pollution.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Brubaker, just because that scenery isn't your cup of tea, doesn't mean everyone (usually those living there) necessarily agrees. In the area I posted pics of, the economic boon has been for only a handful of local landowners. Being a libertarian and all, I can't blame them...but I still hate it. Yup, I plead guilty to NIMBY syndrome.

(The prison joke where I grew up was nearly the same--warden replying after being criticized for not going after the escapee for a week--"Look out the window--you can still see him.")
The Roscoe Wind Farm in West Texas had a wonderful effect for Roscoe and and surrounding towns, these tows had a dying economy.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Well, we all live in a democracy I am told and what the majority decides at a state level unfortunately applies to the minority as well.

Something like that.

I hear the turbines aren't all wine and roses I understand that ... and I don't think they'll ever be in a position to compete with petroleum and coal (neither will Solar or Biomass) especially as long as the government is subsidizing those entrenched industries heavily. But what can I say? The needs of the many outweigh the desires of the few I guess. And I'm all for getting off non renewables as soon as possible.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
And we have a winner. There is absolutely no reason why we cannot solve almost all of our energy needs and lower emissions in the process. Nuclear energy is shockingly safe- far safer than coal (think of the deaths of miners), natural gas, and produces no significant pollution. The "disaster" situations that were possible half a century ago would not happen with modern technology, but the word nuclear (or even nucular) scares people and is opposed by uniformed hippies who are actually hurting the enviornment b/c of their uniformed opinions. All the other options are unrealistic, too costly, or produce too much pollution.
As someone already said, it's not the disaster scenario it's the waste.
Where are we gonna send it? It'll be active for about 50 kazillion years so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.