Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:32 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times

Advertisements

Mostly a good map, but . . .

Western NY and Western PA are not the Midwest - they are Northeastern. Neither is WV or KY - they are the South.

The Great Plains are just the western edge of the Midwest (and the South, in Oklahoma and Texas). Central and western ND have much more in common culturally with Minnesota than Texas or Wyoming. Eastern Montana and Wyoming are more Western than anything, and have more in common with the Mountain West. The Great Plains also extend into Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois. Really, the Great Plains are a geographic region, not a cultural region. The Plains cover all regions (Midwest, West, and South) in the U.S. except the Northeast, and also cover much of Canada.

Last edited by northstar22; 06-20-2010 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:52 AM

871 posts, read 2,236,882 times
its alright. think you pegged texas wrong. no part of texas is in the same cultural region as south dakota

also, not sure what you were doing with KY there by the ohio river. there is no way you can call southern illinois with the southern region and then leave out not just louisville (which is one thing) and then a whole lot else of the river region. perhaps they have a few transplants, but if you going to see evansville indiana as southenr im not sure how in the hell youd make that call. especially elizabethtown, come on have you ever even been there? you pegged it way wrong. and bardstown too? those towns are not midwest. why have it cut in on the ohio river like that, east/west? doesnt make any sense to me, given that there is no cultural difference at all between bardstown and elizabethtown and the rest of central kentucky.

and seriously southern ohio is southernly influenced, but not like anything you find on the other side of the river.
ive done this map before, heres mine.

also southern kansas? no.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 06-21-2010 at 02:04 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 PM

110 posts, read 269,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
its alright. think you pegged texas wrong. no part of texas is in the same cultural region as south dakota

also, not sure what you were doing with KY there by the ohio river. there is no way you can call southern illinois with the southern region and then leave out not just louisville (which is one thing) and then a whole lot else of the river region. perhaps they have a few transplants, but if you going to see evansville indiana as southenr im not sure how in the hell youd make that call. especially elizabethtown, come on have you ever even been there? you pegged it way wrong. and bardstown too? those towns are not midwest. why have it cut in on the ohio river like that, east/west? doesnt make any sense to me, given that there is no cultural difference at all between bardstown and elizabethtown and the rest of central kentucky.

and seriously southern ohio is southernly influenced, but not like anything you find on the other side of the river.
ive done this map before, heres mine.

also southern kansas? no.
Actually, I should have put transitional areas. Extreme SE Kansas would be in the South-Midwest transition area.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y.../Untitled1.jpg

This is a new map of much more specific culture regions in the US. I included a few transition areas. They're more of sub regions.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankangel1111 View Post

This is a new map of much more specific culture regions in the US. I included a few transition areas. They're more of sub regions.
looks a lot like my map. but what the hell did you do to kentucky? it was better before. you had western kentucky better before, and you split the bluegrass region in half for no reason. its not "lower midwest" on the other side of that river ecept up by cincinatti. dialect says a lot oabout cultural regions, why not give this a look

in fact your lower midwest region is way wrong, youve got WV (which is appalachian in every part of the state) in the same region as plainsy oklahoma? come on now.

also minnesota and north central new york are not in the same region at all, and eastern ohio is appalachian as well.

and the apalachian mountains arent squared shaped

Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
looks a lot like my map. but what the hell did you do to kentucky? it was better before. you had western kentucky better before, and you split the bluegrass region in half for no reason. its not "lower midwest" on the other side of that river ecept up by cincinatti. dialect says a lot oabout cultural regions, why not give this a look

in fact your lower midwest region is way wrong, youve got WV (which is appalachian in every part of the state) in the same region as plainsy oklahoma? come on now.

also minnesota and north central new york are not in the same region at all, and eastern ohio is appalachian as well.

and the apalachian mountains arent squared shaped
By "Lower Midwest", I meant a transition area between the South and Midwest. I should have clarified that.

Not all of Oklahoma is "plainsy". In fact, the area of OK I highlighted in the Lower Midwest is in the Ozarks (or close to the Ozarks).

I will admit, I honestly forgot eastern Ohio being in the Appalachia region.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
By "Lower Midwest", I meant a transition area between the South and Midwest. I should have clarified that.

Not all of Oklahoma is "plainsy". In fact, the area of OK I highlighted in the Lower Midwest is in the Ozarks (or close to the Ozarks).

I will admit, I honestly forgot eastern Ohio being in the Appalachia region.
well in western KY, it certainly is not. that transition happens on the other side of the river.

and since "Lower midwest" is transitioning from different parts of the south to differen t parts of the midwest, how can it be one region?

and it sure as hell is plainsy at the end of that part of the map in north east/central OK, certianly not mountainous like WV or eastern ky

Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
well in western KY, it certainly is not. that transition happens on the other side of the river.

and since "Lower midwest" is transitioning from different parts of the south to differen t parts of the midwest, how can it be one region?

and it sure as hell is plainsy at the end of that part of the map in north east/central OK, certianly not mountainous like WV or eastern ky
Once again, Northeast Oklahoma is in the Ozarks. But, I might as well make a new map, considering the posts on here.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Once again, Northeast Oklahoma is in the Ozarks. But, I might as well make a new map, considering the posts on here.
do i have to prove it to you? thats not the ozarks

Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,643,141 times
Quote:

I like the middle east lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.