Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times

Advertisements

Check out Austin,Tucson Albuquerque and Santa Fe are supposed to be nice also in Texas you have Fredericksburg,Kerrville out in the Hill Country that are nice little towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
I'd switch VA Beach with Norfolk or Williamsburg. They are a bit more interesting. If you've been to any suburb, you've been to VA Beach.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 PM

74 posts, read 275,790 times
rnc2mbfl: I researched Durham and Raleigh and thought Chapel Hill was much more worthy of a visit than either. Would they be a must see?

brinkofsunshine: Interesting. I did not put much research in to the FL cities but I have come to the conclusion that a lot of them (ex. Panama City) are not really a must see/worth a detour kind of places.

David Aguilar: I only added Missoula because it sounded exotic, in that case I might as well remove it. I will consider the ID cities you posted. I have heard San Luis Obispo is just a layover city nothing more, is that true? I love Monterey AND Carmel! Seems like SLO is hardly worth the drive (BTW, I live in SF Bay Area). Great suggestion @ Yellowstone & Grand Tetons, even though I did not visit them yet but they are on a different list. The must-see-regardless-of-what-anyone-says list along with Jackson Hole. I have been to San diego and Seattle a few times actually (not Mt. Rainier or St. Helens though). Thanks.

pvande55: Portland/Seattle/SF been there. Albuquerque/Santa Fe already on my must-see-regardless-of-what-anyone-says list which I did not post here.

Verseau: Yes, it seems like the only attraction in Salem, MA is the witch thing. Thanks for confirming. I do agree, sometimes name recognition tempts me to add a place to the list. Thanks for the other New England suggestions.

kidphilly: I will make time!

David Aguilar Post #2: I should have said "places" instead of "cities." Yes, I do enjoy national parks (loved Yosemite and some N.P. in Alaska). So your suggestions were great!

Ghengis: Thanks for the detailed reply. Most of the places you mentioned I have never heard of but I will definitely read up/research about them. As for The Keys in FL it is already in my must-see-regardless-of-what-anyone-says list.

Kid Cann: I loved Austin/San Diego/Seattle and visit them often. Nashville is definitely on my must-.. list. Seems like Duluth is popular!

WeSoHood: I think it is because I have already seen most major/well known cities.

GLS2010: What do you think about Pensacola in general? Orlando is a must indeed

Sgoldie: Haha feel free to come with! Surprisingly I have heard a lot about Myrtle Beach but it does not seem like the best place out there, not sure why people opt for it as opposed to other major beaches.

bgrn198/garmin239: Thanks!

Apologies if I missed anyone.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelashk View Post
Hi all,
I am planning a mega trip throughout the U.S. I made up a list of places to visit based on their popularity and/or because I heard about them at some point. I would appreciate it if you could help me refine the list and keep it exclusive to places worth visiting. Price is not an issue at the moment and I am a 24 year old guy if that helps. There are popular cities not mentioned because I have already visited them (SF/LA/NY/Miami/LV/Atl. etc..)

MT
---------------
Missoula

SD
-----------------
Mt. Rushmore

AR
-----------------
Little Rock

WI
-----------------
Madison
Milwaukee

TN
-----------------
Memphis
Chattanooga

GA
-----------------
Savannah

NC
-----------------
Chapel Hill

VA
-----------------
Richmond
Arlington
Virginia Beach
Blue Ridge Parkway (Asheville, NC)

MD
-----------------
Annapolis
Baltimore

FL
-----------------
Jacksonville
St. Augustine
Pensacola
Daytona Beach
Tampa/St. Petersburg

NJ
-----------------
Atlantic City

CT
-----------------
New Haven

RI
-----------------
Providence
Newport

VT
-----------------
Montpelier
Burlington

ME
-----------------
Portland

MA
-----------------
Salem (Should have gone to this when I visited Boston, is it worth it?)
Cape Cod
Martha's Vineyard
Nantucket Island

NY
-----------------
The Hamptons

IN
-----------------
Bloomington

CA
-----------------
San Luis Obispo vs. Big Sur?

MN
-----------------
Duluth (I will definitely visit Minneapolis/St.Paul, not sure if this is worth the detour?)

Please feel free to also add your suggestions,
Thank you!
You should definitely visit Door County while you're in WI.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
We moved to Savannah for 8 months, and other than the insects that drove us out, it's very nice. I work with trees, so the fire ants were an issue.

For visiting, you should be fine. Gorgeous beach.

But I will say that Washington D.C. area was very fascinating for me, almost more than any other town I've been through.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times
For me (in the U.S. anyway) I'd love to go to Boston, MA; Hell, MI (okay it's not a city, but close enough); Chicago; Pitsburgh; San Francisco; LA; Seattle; New Orleans; Nashville; St. Louis; and Las Vagas.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelashk View Post
Hi all,
I am planning a mega trip throughout the U.S. I made up a list of places to visit based on their popularity and/or because I heard about them at some point. I would appreciate it if you could help me refine the list and keep it exclusive to places worth visiting. Price is not an issue at the moment and I am a 24 year old guy if that helps. There are popular cities not mentioned because I have already visited them (SF/LA/NY/Miami/LV/Atl. etc..)

MT
---------------
Missoula

SD
-----------------
Mt. Rushmore

AR
-----------------
Little Rock

WI
-----------------
Madison
Milwaukee

TN
-----------------
Memphis
Chattanooga

GA
-----------------
Savannah

NC
-----------------
Chapel Hill

VA
-----------------
Richmond
Arlington
Virginia Beach
Blue Ridge Parkway (Asheville, NC)

MD
-----------------
Annapolis
Baltimore

FL
-----------------
Jacksonville
St. Augustine
Pensacola
Daytona Beach
Tampa/St. Petersburg

NJ
-----------------
Atlantic City

CT
-----------------
New Haven

RI
-----------------
Providence
Newport

VT
-----------------
Montpelier
Burlington

ME
-----------------
Portland

MA
-----------------
Salem (Should have gone to this when I visited Boston, is it worth it?)
Cape Cod
Martha's Vineyard
Nantucket Island

NY
-----------------
The Hamptons

IN
-----------------
Bloomington

CA
-----------------
San Luis Obispo vs. Big Sur?

MN
-----------------
Duluth (I will definitely visit Minneapolis/St.Paul, not sure if this is worth the detour?)

Please feel free to also add your suggestions,
Thank you!
If you go to Rapid City to see Mt Rushmore, you might also want to check out the Baldlands only about an hour away.

Memphis, chatanooga..why not Nashville?

If you like Savannah, you might want to check Charleston SC.

In North Carolina, Nags Head and the Outer Banks are nice.

I don't know what you plan to see in Richmond.

Salem Ma. seems like an ordinary suburb of Boston. They have commercialized everything to do with the old witchcraft trials..The Witch Musuem etc. Probably be nice to go for Halloween though.

In Maine, Bar Harbor..

Big Sur defintely..Carmel by the Sea

Other suggestions..How about Key West, San Antonio, Texas, and Santa Fe, NM?

Last edited by Melchior6; 06-30-2010 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: To add more

Old 06-30-2010, 02:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Atlanta

Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 PM

126 posts, read 304,421 times
new york for everything
la for hollywood and walk of fame
dc for being the capital of the country
boston and philly for history
orlando for disney world
las vegas for fun
and many more, like: chicago, san fran, miami, san diego, seattle,
atlanta, st. Louis, atlantic city, and that's all I can think of right now

Old 07-01-2010, 05:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Hawaii, Miami, New Orleans, Seattle, Boston, New York City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.