Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:50 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Understandable, I know about family, however, even the closest family's grow apart for many reasons, lest of all, they die off. I grew up in an old world immigrant setting, where we did everything together, business and social. left little for outside involvement . They never ventured far from home. I could not wait to get out...and I did. Was the best thing I ever did, yes I have some reservations, but I get over it....they are all gone now anyway. I made my own life, as all of us should, we are all different, family is not all its cracked up to be in the end.....and futher more, once you do what I did, you really can't go home again, I found that out. When I went back to visit, 3 days was long enough, and that included my mother, who I buried 3 years ago now. So, we all make our way in life, grow with the experences, you will never regret that. Having done many things and traveled many places is a lot better than never to have done it at all.... Your friends are where you find them, will always be closer than any faimly, and those you can chose.
Well said......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Understandable, I know about family, however, even the closest family's grow apart for many reasons, lest of all, they die off. I grew up in an old world immigrant setting, where we did everything together, business and social. left little for outside involvement . They never ventured far from home. I could not wait to get out...and I did. Was the best thing I ever did, yes I have some reservations, but I get over it....they are all gone now anyway. I made my own life, as all of us should, we are all different, family is not all its cracked up to be in the end.....and futher more, once you do what I did, you really can't go home again, I found that out. When I went back to visit, 3 days was long enough, and that included my mother, who I buried 3 years ago now. So, we all make our way in life, grow with the experences, you will never regret that. Having done many things and traveled many places is a lot better than never to have done it at all.... Your friends are where you find them, will always be closer than any faimly, and those you can chose.
I came close to not coming back while I was employed as an OTR long-haul truck driver.
If I manage to slip back into that gig again, the road will pretty much become my home.
That and I found I was able to handle isolation alot better while consistently on the move, never was too good all the time when "forming alliances" elsewhere.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I'm 61. How old are you?
Well, I guess I missed that one pretty badly as you're just slightly more than a couple of years on either side of 30!

How old am I? Shhhhh...don't tell anybody but I'm.....61.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
I am in the same situation! I love San Diego and have lived here all my life, but I really want to explore the country and the world. I get tired of just being here everyday. It has nothing to do with the city, There's tons to do here and it's beautiful but being in the same place for 19 years gets tiring. Also, I want to get away from my family lol!

I think I will transfer to an out of state university hopefully by fall 2011,

Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well, I guess I missed that one pretty badly as you're just slightly more than a couple of years on either side of 30!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

How about that....We're the same age. No biggie.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I am in the same situation! I love San Diego and have lived here all my life, but I really want to explore the country and the world. I get tired of just being here everyday. It has nothing to do with the city, There's tons to do here and it's beautiful but being in the same place for 19 years gets tiring. Also, I want to get away from my family lol!

I think I will transfer to an out of state university hopefully by fall 2011,
Good luck...Hope you can "escape" and transfer to a college in an exciting new place.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post

That's exactly how I feel about it every time I look into a mirror.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I share things in common with many of the posters here. I grew up in the Kansas City metro area and escaped as soon as I could. I did not want to become trapped in that place at all. Many people become trapped in a place due to family reasons, but one has to be MUCH MORE flexible to moving to other places for jobs based on the nature of the economy these days. The period of time that allowed for people to work the same job for most of their lives is long gone for the most part.
After spending the first 18+ years of my life in Kansas City I went out of state to college, came back for a couple years, then left again permanently. I don't keep in contact with a lot of the people I knew from my younger days there because most people make such unbelievably STUPID life decisions in many regards, and that is depressing.
Well, the world is a big place and I know I will be living in many other places- unlike most of my extended family who never left KC.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Do you feel stuck and trapped in your current area and job etc.?....How do you cope with all of it? How long do you think you will have to wait before you can "escape?"
What specifically contributes to your "feeling stuck"..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.