Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 AM

345 posts, read 922,086 times

Advertisements

To the OP:
Here's the way I see it....
Home is where I live.
They say "home is where you heart is", so my heart is in Tennessee.

It shouldn't matter than I'm from up north. What should matter is where I am now. Which is here!

I think it's a misconception from ALL parties, on both sides, of what people are like from different areas. I never looked down on individuals because of where they were from. People are nice if you are nice. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Yes, things are different here but isn't that why you want to move here, because it's different? :-)

Just be yourself...if people don't like it, then that's their choice.
I've met nothing but nice people here. And I do understand your apprehensiveness, it's normal because you are getting ready to make a change. Go with your heart...you'll be just fine!

A side note to NCN:
Pish posh dear. That's nonsense. You are judging yet you expect others to not judge?! What? I grew up in Ohio, but my family was originally from the south. My great grandmother would slap your "southern gal" face if she saw your comments...she was a true southern lady and would never turn down a visitor, from north, south, east, west, the Moon or Mars!! Southern hospitality must have been a lost link on your family chain.
Lifestyles are different everywhere you go. If it was the same, what would be the fun in visiting new and different areas?
It seems you have a misconception of northerner's, and I'm truly sorry to see that. I never felt like things were backward here, just at a friendlier and slower pace. It's sad to see someone so closed minded think they are actually doing a service by "telling it like it is". I will happily say that you are definetely in the minority of folks I've met here. And thank goodness for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
NCN's viewpoints sound like old school, uptight Southern Baptist views to me. There's definitely a lot more to the South than that. Damn it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Don't invite us over for drinks unless you mean coffee and Dr. Pepper or some other soft drinks. People who drink alcoholic beverages are automatically taken off the invite list because we don't have alcoholic beverages in our homes and we don't want our children to be around anyone that does. There will be exceptions to this, but they will not be in accepted social circles.

That's not the South that I know...

Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
There's a reason I didn't move to North Carolina and thank goodness for it. I'll point out that even though NCN says she is from Tennessee, she is not. And what a disservice to the people of Tennessee.

And I guarantee you that she is sitting back thinking, "You stupid Yankees don't know what the locals really think." Well, we are not idiots. I know when someone is nice to my face and not to my back, as much as they think they are being clever, they are not. And I'm here to say that the locals are not this way. It's her. There is some sort of personal issue at work.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post

That's not the South that I know...
hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Do you think Jesus himself would have done this?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There's a reason I didn't move to North Carolina and thank goodness for it. I'll point out that even though NCN says she is from Tennessee, she is not. And what a disservice to the people of Tennessee.

And I guarantee you that she is sitting back thinking, "You stupid Yankees don't know what the locals really think." Well, we are not idiots. I know when someone is nice to my face and not to my back, as much as they think they are being clever, they are not. And I'm here to say that the locals are not this way. It's her. There is some sort of personal issue at work.
The question was, "What do people from the South think about Northerners." I thought I was qualified to answer because I am a native Southerner and I live in one of the fastest growing counties in the United States and most of the influx is from other states.

If there is anything I said that led you to believe I live in Tennessee, please show it to me. I did a search for Dollywood because we are going to be vacationing there. I have worked on a public job in an area that is overrun by transplants and observed natives and transplants and realize what the major differences are. The cultures are just different. I told you how they are different. I have lived in cities and rural areas and was born in North Carolina about 60 miles EAST of the Tennessee border. Maybe Tennessee is that much different from North Carolina, but I feel right at home when I come visiting. You even have pinto beans in your restaurants. I don't see that much in the Charlotte area.

We in the South are always being told we say one thing and when the people get here they find something else. So I started observing the differences and those were the main differences I found between the natives and transplants. Maybe that is why southerners don't tell you how they really feel. They don't want to offend you and you will never know by how they act because we are taught to always be nice, but I got to observe people from both places and heard what they said when the others were not present and yes, yankees talk about others too.

The yankees would tell me about how they were treated friendly at a meeting, but no one ever invited them to their homes. Took me about five seconds into the conversation to realize why. They came from an area that must have been void of soap or their mothers would most certainly have cleaned out their mouths. And a good rule is to never start making suggestions until you have been at a place for at least a year.

You can attack me for saying that, but it is still true.

I have observed a group of mothers and one mother invites the others over for drinks and the body language while the other mothers are making up excuses is almost comical.

So the people reading these posts have two choices. They can learn from what I have observed, or they can ignore what I said and end up wanting to go home because they are so lonely, or they can choose to have friendships with all those other people moving in.

My suggestion is to move anywhere you want to and find those people who have the same interests as you.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Oh, give me a break! This whole thing is nothing more than a very thinly disguised them vs us kind of posting. Not all, not even half of all "yankees" have a potty mouth, many, if not most, don't do drinks when inviting someone over for the first time and most have a clue when it comes to body language. Are there rude, crude and loud Yankees, yes. Are there simpering holier than thou southerners, you bet! Is that how most behave on either count.... not likely.

Not one of my neighbors, of the ones who are natives, have this attitude. All have been cordial and very often helpful in understanding any cultural differences they think I need to be aware of. None have been too polite to tell me if there is a problem, if anything laughing at assumptions we all have about others.

Behave as if the other person is a human being, ask if you think you may have offended someone but aren't sure how or why. Above all else apply the Golden Rule and a Yankee can make it in the south as well as a Southerner can make it up north.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,073 times
[quote=NCN;15414630]The question was, "What do people from the South think about Northerners." I thought I was qualified to answer because I am a native Southerner and I live in one of the fastest growing counties in the United States and most of the influx is from other states.

If there is anything I said that led you to believe I live in Tennessee, please show it to me. I did a search for Dollywood because we are going to be vacationing there. I have worked on a public job in an area that is overrun by transplants and observed natives and transplants and realize what the major differences are. The cultures are just different. I told you how they are different. I have lived in cities and rural areas and was born in North Carolina about 60 miles EAST of the Tennessee border. Maybe Tennessee is that much different from North Carolina, but I feel right at home when I come visiting. You even have pinto beans in your restaurants. I don't see that much in the Charlotte area.

We in the South are always being told we say one thing and when the people get here they find something else. So I started observing the differences and those were the main differences I found between the natives and transplants. Maybe that is why southerners don't tell you how they really feel. They don't want to offend you and you will never know by how they act because we are taught to always be nice, but I got to observe people from both places and heard what they said when the others were not present and yes, yankees talk about others too.

The yankees would tell me about how they were treated friendly at a meeting, but no one ever invited them to their homes. Took me about five seconds into the conversation to realize why. They came from an area that must have been void of soap or their mothers would most certainly have cleaned out their mouths. And a good rule is to never start making suggestions until you have been at a place for at least a year.

You can attack me for saying that, but it is still true.

I have observed a group of mothers and one mother invites the others over for drinks and the body language while the other mothers are making up excuses is almost comical.

So the people reading these posts have two choices. They can learn from what I have observed, or they can ignore what I said and end up wanting to go home because they are so lonely, or they can choose to have friendships with all those other people moving in.

My suggestion is to move anywhere you want to and find those people who have the same interests as you.[/QUOTE

Oh Jesus! That eeeeveel Satan's liquor!! Apparently you are confusing being Southern with being a self-righteous, xenophobic holy roller in the South.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,037 times
Default what do people from the South think about Northerners

Well I'm sorry to say I had a bad experience traveling south going to Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I don't remember if it was N or S Carolina but there was a big billboard saying welcome to KKK country. I was absolutely horrified, needless to say shortly after that our bus was shot at....the bus driver was to afraid to make a police report!! Now remember this was 35 years ago.....every so often we had to pick up a new driver and stop to eat...at a few places we were greated with were being invaded by the Northerners....some places we were treated with the upmost respect. The worst happened to us in Georgia, we picked up the next driver at the airport and we were at the airport and we came to a tollboth and the drive the man in the tollboth which way should he veer to the left or to the right, the man replied "that's right sir you just stay on Rt. 25s, over and over) he wouldn't tell us which way to go. Anyway we took the wrong way and ended up in the bowels of Georgia and I mean the bowels!!!! I never saw such poverty in my life....so, so, sad. Run down one room shacks, with the paint just about all peeled off with the rocking chair on the front porch, no paved roads, dirt roads with sink holes everywhere.....beware of alligator signs hanging up, instead of beware dog signs.....the one good sign I saw was buy your pecans here...now that I thought we should of stopped for!!!! But then again the alligators.....we kept asking for directions and they sent us around in circles, someone sent us to a sulfer factory....worst smell in the world!!! Finally we asked a black man and he gave us the correct address and we were on our way to Ft. Lauderdale, had the bes time of my life and slept the whole ride home!!!! I'm sure things have changed down south by now

Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 PM

207 posts, read 643,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
Now remember this was 35 years ago.....
Ah. I was pretty horrified until I got to this part. Things have changed.

It still surprises me at 35 years ago. I would have guessed 45 years ago, but I wasn't around then, so I don't have much to base that on other than the date of the Civil Rights Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.