Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of state is Florida?
southern state 73 37.44%
northern state 3 1.54%
melting pot 25 12.82%
southern melting pot 40 20.51%
northern melting pot 0 0%
northern half is southern, state of miami is northern 21 10.77%
northern half is southern, state of miami is neither 33 16.92%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:37 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times

Advertisements

Just looking at some random maps you can see where typical southern culture and not-so-southern culture is in Florida and other southern states.

Bible belt:

http://images.wikia.com/liberapedia/.../BibleBelt.png

Stroke Belt or Stroke Alley is a name given to a region in the southeastern United States that has been recognized by public health authorities for having an unusually high incidence of stroke and other forms of cardiovascular disease. It is typically defined as an 11-state region consisting of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Some investigators also consider northern Florida to be a part of the stroke belt, based on a stroke mortality rate higher than several states included in the region.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...troke_belt.png

Lung cancer rates:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...stribution.gif

http://www.earlychurchfathers.org/fu...eligionMap.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Elizabeth View Post
Florida is part of hell.
Actually Florida is more culturally similar to South Hell.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Actually Florida is more culturally similar to South Hell.
Southeast Coastal Hell.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
one of my exes (originally from miami, fl) says "churdren."

fl is definitely southern.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times
North of I-4, it is Southern. South of that it's neither. Miami is not northern. It's just Miami. I would compare it more to Latin America than North or South.

Miami is just a melting pot of all the countries in Latin America plus Brazil, Haiti, France, Germany, and Russia. With a hint of NYC and NJ. It's neither.

I voted for the last option.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

If your ex says "churdren" and she's from Miami, I'm guessing that she's black. Miami has that mixed black culture where some black people are southern and some of them are not because usually they come from either the Caribbean or up north. I don't think you'll find many white, hispanic, or asian people in Miami who say "churdren".

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
North of I-4, it is Southern. South of that it's neither. Miami is not northern. It's just Miami. I would compare it more to Latin America than North or South.

Miami is just a melting pot of all the countries in Latin America plus Brazil, Haiti, France, Germany, and Russia. With a hint of NYC and NJ. It's neither.

I voted for the last option.
Once again, I would like to take you to the town of Clewiston on the south shore of Lake Okeechobee and tell me that's not Southern. I will give you Miami even though I slightly disagree with it. But West of Miami going towards Southwest Florida and then points Northward, that's Southern, folks.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Once again, I would like to take you to the town of Clewiston on the south shore of Lake Okeechobee and tell me that's not Southern. I will give you Miami even though I slightly disagree with it. But West of Miami going towards Southwest Florida and then points Northward, that's Southern, folks.
Yeah it really depends on where you are. Clewiston is in the Florida Heartland area, it's country as hell out there lol.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Yeah it really depends on where you are. Clewiston is in the Florida Heartland area, it's country as hell out there lol.
I kid you not. I have family from that part of Florida. Bunch of them. They were at the drive through and ordered some chicken skrips. Not strips but skrips down the skreet. The way they said it was hilarious to me. I didn't even hear that in Texas. Nobody can tell me that everything south of I-4 isn't Southern. In fact, I have family from Ft. Lauderdale as well and it was common to hear people saying "what he did" about if a person had done something. It was also common to here Mondee, Tuesdee and hang for hand.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

Yeah it's Southern. Not because some girl says churdren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.