Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,769,836 times

Advertisements

I thought this was an interesting/accurate map.
I've never heard of "Western NE" & "Western South" though-

What do you think?

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-26-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:39 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,897,216 times
What is going on with upstate NY?!! 4 areas between Syracuse and the Mass border? Also, the coast is part of what makes New England what it is, it seems silly to seperate it. Same could be said for mid-atlantic (it is called that for a reason) and possibly the south. And what's up with the exclave of upper mid-west in michigan, surrounded by great lakes and lower midwest. I have never been to that area but I doubt it's that unique (would love to hear from locals).

That being said, I like "Western South". I know some of the Texans/Oklahomans on here like the term (TexasReb, and Bass&Catfish i'm thinking of you) and although I don't know the area well I think "Western South" is a better term than South Central or some of the other ones you hear. I think they do a decent job with the west, although eastern WA might as well be in Mountain West.

Definitely an interesting map though. Personally, I love all these maps, and none of them are going to be perfect because every town in this country has their own "culture" and yet, it's all America. It's tough to draw a line somewhere and say "that's it. culture ends HERE." ....But ya, still love these maps. Keep 'em coming!

EDIT: Okay, so this is probably just a mistake. But there is an "culturally mixed internationally" area in the suburbs west of Boston. I am assuming this is supposed to be Boston but there is a "north atlantic coast" area east of it. Same thing appears to have been done with the Hampton Roads area. And what is that purple in the PNW? If it's Portland that why isn't Seattle also there, and if it's Seattle it is way way off.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,962,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

That being said, I like "Western South". I know some of the Texans/Oklahomans on here like the term (TexasReb, and Bass&Catfish i'm thinking of you) and although I don't know the area well I think "Western South" is a better term than South Central or some of the other ones you hear. I think they do a decent job with the west, although eastern WA might as well be in Mountain West.
I think most Texans never call them selves Southerners. In Texas, the culture is "Texan/Tejano" things like that. Remember, the state unlike the other Southern states has a blend of French, Spanish, Mexican, and American cultures. Most Southern states only have a few of those but not all.

Like okay, you can say that cities like Dallas and Houston are Southern, but cities like San Antonio or Austin? San Antonio is very Tejano, and they even popularized that genre of music.

El Paso is more like the desert Southwest yet still retaining a lot of Texas qualities.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,368,138 times
Great Lakes isn't a cultural region. Watertown, NY has nothing in common with Grand Portage, MN. "Great Lakes" should be merged into Upper Midwest/Lower Midwest/Western Northeast.

Northern Michigan is correct. MI goes from Lower Midwest (more like OH, IN, IL) to Upper Midwest (more like MN, WI, ND, SD) just north of Grand Rapids, Lansing and Saginaw.

Great Plains isn't a cultural region, either. There is nothing culturally dfferent between Indiana and Kansas or Minnesota and North Dakota. The Great Plains should merge with the Upper and Lower Midwest

Old 06-26-2010, 02:52 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,739,951 times
I am also not sure the Delmarva peninsula is really Mid Atlantic, my be it's own micro-environment or more Southern, not sure

Old 06-26-2010, 02:59 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,534,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I thought this was an interesting/accurate map.
I've never heard of "Western NE" & "Western South" though-

What do you think?
Good map!

"Western South" is a term first coined by Raymond Gastil in his book "Cultural Regions of the United States." It designated a sub-region of the larger South (consisting of most of Texas and large parts of Oklahoma) which was distinguished by the fact it was essentially Southern, yet had qualities that are characteristic of the post-bellum western frontier era (plus certain topographical similarities) as contrasted with the "Eastern South" (consisting of the Southeast states, including East Texas).

The reason I always liked that term is because it drew a solid distinction that is often overlooked. To wit, the very real differences with the Interior Southwest of New Mexico and Arizona. Although the "Western South" is also often referred to as the "Southwest", there are clear differences in terms of basic history and culture between the former and New Mexico and Arizona.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,725,848 times
Capital region culture? That doesn't deserve its own culture region; it's mid Atlantic

I would not place western Maryland in the southern Appalachian

If it was really in depth, it would not have straight lines as if the culture abruptly changes

Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 PM

16,645 posts, read 29,356,424 times
I like...for the most part.

Oh...and good posts OmShahi and TexasReb.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,897,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am also not sure the Delmarva peninsula is really Mid Atlantic, my be it's own micro-environment or more Southern, not sure
Ya, the Delmarva is a little off. I don't get "North Atlantic Coast" as a cultural region. The part of the Delmarva that is in Virginia is the same cultural region as downeast Maine? I think not.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,662,310 times
I'm not sure eastern Nebraska is great plains, culturally we are more like Iowa, Minnesota etc. than places in the western and central parts of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.