Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
And Ohio isn't all "flatlands" which is the worst generalization I hear from people because it's so far from the truth. I laugh sometimes when I hear that.
Yeah, that's why I noted that it wasn't flat in Athens...however, that still doesn't change the fact that SE Ohio clearly stole it's mountains from neighboring KY and WV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Ohio University is division 1 too and ranks higher in academics as well as gave many far more legendary schools a run for their money in the NCAA tournament this year.

Again, WVU is a tier 3 university, which, to employers means a joke.
Me thinks there be just a tint of bias in the air...WVU made the final four as a #2 seed for crying out loud, and the school always has a ranked/BCS-quality football team. It's apples to oranges.

And to break away from this argument:

Best:
1. Austin
2. Charlottesville
3. Columbus
4. Athens(GA)
5. Tuscaloosa
6. Madison
7. Ann Arbor
8. Berkeley
9. Bloomington
10. State College/Morgantown toss-up

Worst:
California PA....the townies even voted against allowing a McDonalds to be built in downtown, that's how desolate and boring this place is. It's literally a campus stitched to what is almost a ghost town that's filled with disgruntled elderly people...which borders another literal ghost town of a community that's crime riddled, unsafe, and sits alongside a river that's so polluted that it isn't even safe to make physical contact with(seriously). The highlight is a Quick Fill, a Dairy Queen, and a Dollar General; that's literally all that there is to do. Students either go home for the weekend, drive to Pittsburgh/Pitt, or just sit around drinking themselves to death...the place is deserted, COMPLETELY DESERTED on Saturdays to the point where it's possible to be the only person visible on campus grounds or in the student union(no, that is not an exaggeration). And yes, this is the California PA that has been involved with DII championships over the past 5 years or so.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 06-09-2010 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
The only reason I know about Athens, Ohio is because my dad worked there for a little while

have you ever been to Morgantown???

Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The only reason I know about Athens, Ohio is because my dad worked there for a little while

have you ever been to Morgantown???
Yeah, as I said, it was boring, smelled of sewage, the atmosphere was horrible, and walking sucked there. People weren't exactly that friendly either.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,254 times
Quote:
Yeah, as I said, it was boring, smelled of sewage, the atmosphere was horrible, and walking sucked there. People weren't exactly that friendly either.
People.. People.. don't take this troll seriously. He extols the benefits of Detroit & Cincinnati in many other threads. This guy clearly has a thing for some of the crappiest areas of the country, and no amount of arguing will change that. I'm assuming he must some how validate his current location by putting down other places...

Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
I don't know why so many people think berkeley is a college town. Maybe they are lost in the 60's but berkeley is definatly not a college town. Berkeley has over 100,000 people, it sits right on the bay across from sf, which has 700,000 people, and is the next city north of oakland which has almost 400,000 people. Hardly a town. There are parts of berkeley you can go through and you'd swear there wasnt even a university around. Or go to the afluent hillside communities where the folks live... There is a small section of berkely around the university, the strip, and the student ghetto, and other than that, the city really doesnt have much of a college town feel.

Best college towns: Santa Cruz, Ca., Lawrence, ks,
Worst: Chico, bloomington normal, dekalb
The city's identity is tied to the school- which is 30K plus. When a campus that large is in a city that size, it is a college town. Without the campus, Berkeley woud be irrelevant.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
People.. People.. don't take this troll seriously. He extols the benefits of Detroit & Cincinnati in many other threads. This guy clearly has a thing for some of the crappiest areas of the country, and no amount of arguing will change that. I'm assuming he must some how validate his current location by putting down other places...
Because metro Detroit is a "crappy" area of the country despite having one of the highest number of high-tech jobs, safest towns (Troy, anyone?), best education (Grosse Pointe, Berkley, B-ham, etc), etc. etc.

Also, Cincinnati with its low unemployment, numerous cultural opportunities, and gorgeous skyline... HORRIBLE places.

Morgantown has nothing, the entire state of West Virginia is Appalachian coal country, and there is little there. WVU isn't even a tier one or two university, and for a university to be at that level, the quality HAS to be pretty low!

Downtown Detroit's open admissions university is BORDERING tier 3 and was previously ranked as such.

So if Morgantown has the same offerings as Wayne State, that must surely say something! (Academically, and as the people of a place define a place through crime, education, etc., and Detroit is a cesspool, that automatically makes Morgantown one of the worst areas to live)

Also, if I'm trying to boost my own location as some sort of compensation... why do I not boost Lexington? It's boring! I'm not validating anything. I'm also moving to a tiny non-college town that blows away both Morgantown AND Detroit (Holland, MI, google it!) but am not boosting it.

Last edited by UKUKUK; 06-11-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 01:23 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Fort Collins, CO! Home of Colorado State University. One of the most bike and pedestrian friendly towns in the country! Consistently rated as one of the the top towns to live in the United States. Recreation close by, one of the highest number of restaurants per capita in the country, one of the highest number of doctors per capita in the country, home of New Belgium Brewing Company, and close to Denver!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Fort Collins, CO! Home of Colorado State University. One of the most bike and pedestrian friendly towns in the country! Consistently rated as one of the the top towns to live in the United States. Recreation close by, one of the highest number of restaurants per capita in the country, one of the highest number of doctors per capita in the country, home of New Belgium Brewing Company, and close to Denver!
I've passed through there, BEAUTIFUL little town. Not much on athletics or academics but it's peaceful as can be!

Old 06-12-2010, 06:14 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:

Morgantown has nothing, the entire state of West Virginia is Appalachian coal country, and there is little there. WVU isn't even a tier one or two university, and for a university to be at that level, the quality HAS to be pretty low!
The entire state??? where I live there is no coal, in Morgantown there is no coal, and in most of Eastern WV there is none

And I guess you haven't heard of the I-79 High Tech corridor

including Morgantown with 2 other small cities in WV, it is fast growing and pours in new jobs

The FBI has established the world's largest ID center here, and it has created thousands of jobs

here are some pics of the tech parks

fairmont Teck Park---This building has won many design awards

http://www.cityofclarksburgwv.com/public/cvbimages/FBI.jpg (broken link)
This is the FBI center in Bridgeport---It isn't pretty, but it brought alot of good paying jobs

Last edited by Chriscross309; 06-12-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 AM

The Toyota factory in Lexington, Lexmark, and our thriving bourbon industry employ a lot of people too. Doesn't make it less boring. I do stand corrected though, coal doesn't have a big presence in Morgantown, but from what I saw of the place, you could never tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.