Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:15 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm different from most of the opinions on this forum. I prefer to live far away from coastlines whether that be a river, lake or ocean. Not sure why, but I've always been like that. Maybe that's why I prefer the large interior parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:57 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Before I moved away from the US I was trying to move near one of the coasts - either central/northern Cali or the NC coast. I have sea water in my veins, so I love being near the sea. I love mountains as well so having both is ideal. But given a choice I'd take ocean over mountains.

I love the sound of the surf and I love to look over the ocean and see no land. It's like there is no wall around me, no boundaries. I read once that the reason people relax near the ocean is because of neg/pos(?) ions or something, but I prefer another explanation.

Now I have a sea loch right in front of my house. It connects to the ocean but doesn't have surf unless there are many ships during the day or it's windy or stormy. I can see land about 1 mile across and don't have a nice beach, but there are mountains on the other side. I love it. I have to drive about an hour for a nice sandy beach. Ideally I'd like to be right on the ocean with a white sandy beach, the sound of surf, and mountains around me. But I'd have to be really remote for that.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
I read somewhere (I think city data) that big city people like the ocean because as much as they say they like big cities and density, they take comfort in the fact that the ocean can't be developed. Don't know if it's true or not.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:04 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Love the beaches and the mountains, but since I don't like being around a lot of people all the time I prefer to live in the mountains and visit the beaches. The lakes, rivers, and waterfalls in the mountains do me just fine in between visits to the coasts.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Love the beaches and the mountains, but since I don't like being around a lot of people all the time I prefer to live in the mountains and visit the beaches. The lakes, rivers, and waterfalls in the mountains do me just fine in between visits to the coasts.
There are beaches that are remote and never crowded.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times

'remote and never crowded.'...for now.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I read somewhere (I think city data) that big city people like the ocean because as much as they say they like big cities and density, they take comfort in the fact that the ocean can't be developed. Don't know if it's true or not.

I think it is more proximity. I know part of the reason I love where I live is I can have the urban environment I like and be very close to the beach. I spend all summer (4-5 days a week in the summer) at the beach and can still commute back and forth to work and have the urban environment too. To that end I am about to walk back down to the beach, Jersey Shore but no Snookie, that is the Situation

Old 06-27-2010, 01:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I just like the ocean, the smell and sounds and stuff. I love it next to one of my other favorite things, a bigger city. One, it's pretty, and two, it goes well together. But one thing I really like about it is that it makes me feel more connected to the outside world, especially if it's a large city on the water. A more isolated coastline community can be really good too if I'm in a lonely mood. But one of the reasons I wouldn't like to live in big interior areas is the isolating feeling I get away from the ocean and so the world, even if it's a huge city. Mountains would make it worse. Even if I'm in a lonely isolated mood, I'd still prefer to be near the water than some far away interior. The ocean's nice, just makes me feel good.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:29 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,840 times
Maybe I'm just different, but I don't find the ocean scenic. To me, the ocean is neither scenic or ugly...it just exists.

I like this type of scenery more (street view):

900 kansas 51 liberal, ks - Google Maps

4800 baylor canyon road las cruces, nm - Google Maps

15000 arkansas 27 hector, ar - Google Maps

roaring fork rd greeneville, tn - Google Maps

Old 06-27-2010, 05:05 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,268 times
I've always lived within 20 minutes from coast. I love going to the beach especially in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.