Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times

Advertisements

I like both the mountains, and the ocean. I like to visit the mountains but not live in them. Most mountain locations get more snow than I would like. I do enjoy seeing them from a ways away.
Really somewhere in between the ocean, and mountains would be great.

Last edited by Waterlily; 07-03-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Fixing it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I love Mountains, but am fond of high class northern coast line

I like big lakes with mountains

Old 07-03-2010, 08:23 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
mountains all the way baby

Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
not a lot of people in America are raised near really awesome mountain ranges if you think about it. The Appalachians are nice, but most people live east of the Rockies. I'm not sure most people really realize what it's like to live and explore big mountains.
Eastern mountain areas are beautiful, but not the same thing at all as the western mountains. The first time I went out west--to Colorado Springs, I just couldn't stop staring at the scenery surrounding me. It was like being plopped down in a movie or something. The peaks of the Rockies were breathtaking to me.

Also gave me a lot of respect for those old pioneers who looked up and shrugged and said, "yeah, I'll cross those."

Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
Mightyqueen801: Originally Posted by cacto View Post
not a lot of people in America are raised near really awesome mountain ranges if you think about it. The Appalachians are nice, but most people live east of the Rockies. I'm not sure most people really realize what it's like to live and explore big mountains.

Eastern mountain areas are beautiful, but not the same thing at all as the western mountains. The first time I went out west--to Colorado Springs, I just couldn't stop staring at the scenery surrounding me. It was like being plopped down in a movie or something. The peaks of the Rockies were breathtaking to me.

Also gave me a lot of respect for those old pioneers who looked up and shrugged and said, "yeah, I'll cross those."
Mightyqueen801, I had the same experience when I first moved to Boulder. The Flatirons were so close and so enormous that when I walked along I couldn't stop staring at them. One day someone stopped me and said, "Oh, you just moved here?" And I said, "Yes, but how did you know?" He said, "You're staring at the mountains. After awhile you'll get used to them being here!" It was true. At first they were so overwhelming and breathtaking, but as time went on, they became part of the natural scenery that I saw each day!

Mother Nature can be pretty amazing!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times
I love the ocean, its a powerful experience being on the beach, hearing the thundering waves crashing, sloshing the sand between your feet. However, being up in the mountains, the calm, the serenity, the lush scenery, its just another level for me, a totally different and amazing experience.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Are you an Ocean or a Mountain person?

I
Both. Outdoor photography is my hobby. I get such a thrill when I'm driving on a highway near where I live, go around a turn and these huge mountains just jump up at me. I get excited by the turkey vultures, the hawks, the groundhogs, the mountains on fire with the fall foliage, the butterflies, the wildflowers and the songbirds. And for two weeks of every year, I drive to the east coast in the Spring to take photos of the shore birds, the fishing boats, the lighthouses, the beaches, the marshes, the boardwalk and the waves.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,497 times
san diego - Google Maps

This.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Both. Outdoor photography is my hobby. I get such a thrill when I'm driving on a highway near where I live, go around a turn and these huge mountains just jump up at me. I get excited by the turkey vultures, the hawks, the groundhogs, the mountains on fire with the fall foliage, the butterflies, the wildflowers and the songbirds. And for two weeks of every year, I drive to the east coast in the Spring to take photos of the shore birds, the fishing boats, the lighthouses, the beaches, the marshes, the boardwalk and the waves.
Wow. I wanna hang out with you!

Wisteria probably does, too. She's very short and I'm very tall so if you're of average height, we can photograph from all different angles!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
Mightyqueen801 :
Originally Posted by LauraC

Wow. I wanna hang out with you!

Wisteria probably does, too. She's very short and I'm very tall so if you're of average height, we can photograph from all different angles!
OMG, Mightyqueen!! You are so right!!! I agree -- oh, we could get the best shots -- I could crawl down to those little spaces (and I'm not afraid of bugs! ), and you could see higher over things I'd never see!

I guess we'd only need one camera, too -- although one apiece would be nice!

I think it's a great idea!!! I'm game! (No, no, I mean, don't shoot me -- except with the camera -- I mean, let's do it!! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.