U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 14,858 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am new to this website so I am not sure if i'm posting in the correct category.
So anyways. My fiance and I plan to move out of Pennsylvannia for good. There's no excitement here in PA, just boredom and it's also a commonwealth. He's originally from The Virgin Islands but he has lived in Florida. I'm originally from Brooklyn, New York. We are a young couple in our early, early 20s and thinking about relocating down south. I only visited Orlando, Florida when I was younger and fell in love, however I would not want to relocate there now after researching and discovering there's a lot of crime that transpires in the city. We have a few states in mind: Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, and/or Virginia. We are searching for somewhat of a small town, lots of greenery, friendly people, access to a lot of outdoor activitie, little to NO CRIME, GREAT COLLEGES, and peace. Any suggestions? When it comes to Florida I don't care much for Orlando, Tampa, or Miami. (Or any areas very close the the cities listed) When it comes to Georgia, we are not interested in living ANY WHERE near Atlanta or Savannah. For North Carolina, Charlotte is definetly crossed off the list.
We do have two cars we are bringing so transportation will not be an issue. We are thinking about renting for now (apartment wise), we both attend college.

A.

[+] Rate this post positively
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM

22,583 posts, read 52,037,852 times
We have four commonwealths that are actually states in this country. I was born and raised in one of them; Massachusetts. It has no constitutional impact and doesn't make a difference.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM

389 posts, read 1,062,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluhv View Post
There's no excitement here in PA, just boredom and it's also a commonwealth.
Oh no! PA is a commonwealth?!? Get me the hell out of here!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM

2,099 posts, read 4,224,340 times
Just saying, the crime in Orlando is horribly over exaggerated. If you don't want to be bored, the only place I'd recommend moving is to a city. There are beautiful, safe "small-town"-like suburbs near Orlando, like Winter Park- home to one of the best colleges in the southeast (Rollins College).

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM

HAHAHA@ Torresdale. Real cute.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 PM

542 posts, read 922,229 times
Virginia is a commonwealth too, but I would suggest Charlottesville. Smallish city/town in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mtns, with UVA. Some crime but not much.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 AM

5,988 posts, read 12,871,911 times
Another vote for Charlottesville. It's a nice town and near UVA.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 73,881 times
also going to recommend charlottesville. small town feel, very green, lots to do, access to incredible amount of outdoor activities, and home to the university of Virignia.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:04 PM

81,150 posts, read 109,065,159 times
If people are going to go with Charlottesville VA, then Chapel Hill NC might work out for you too. Maybe something like Elizabeth City NC might work as it is close to the ocean, but is close to the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA, which has close to 2 million people now.

City of Elizabeth City, NC -- The Harbor of Hospitality!
Elizabeth City, NC - History, Events, Attractions - The Albemarle Region Of North Carolina: Pasquotank River and Albemarle Sound - Bed and Breakfast Inns Motels........CoastalGuide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.