Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 PM

78 posts, read 229,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Worcester, MA
Springfield, MA
Hartford, CT
New Haven, CT
Providence, RI

All between 130,000-185,000 people, plus much much larger metros. New England's strength is in its economic diversity. Escpecially Worcester-which is why I wrote it first. Providence is an all around great city to live and work. Springfield and Hartford offer a smaller, but diverse economy and all the charms of large city living but with all the charm of rural/suburban New England. New Haven benefits by being a college town and only 90 mins from New York.
Interesting. I've been to Worcester, Providence, Hartford and New Haven, but don't know any of these cities very well. I had a positive impression of Providence, but not so much for New Haven and Worcester.
Is Providence a nice place to live? The nightlife certainly was pretty good, although RI's unemployment rates are quite high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
How about Austin

Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,715 times
Reno,NV?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:40 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Not really looking for the most affordable places to buy a home. I'm seeking a place where living is easy, but i won't get bored as a single person. i'm quite aware that some cities are affordable, but like i said, are places for people who get married right after college.
Many of these places would be good for a single person as well. I don't think they are just for young families and I know Syracuse has some places that would be good for single people.

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
Downtown Syracuse
Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Westcott Theater
Palace Theater Homepage | Palace Theater on James | Syracuse, NY
Manlius Art Cinema
Syracuse Festivals

There are plenty of festivals like the Jazzfest, which is the largest free jazz festival in the Northeast, Bluesfest, Juneteenth, Italian, Polish, Irish, German, Jewish, Greek, SE Asian and other cultural festivals; Taste of Syracuse, Balloonfest, the NY State Fair, Harborfest in nearby Oswego, Apple Festival and much more. We also have Syracuse University sports and a AAA baseball team and an AHL Hoceky team.

Also, the city's location is great as you can get to NYC, Boston, Philly, Toronto, Montreal, DC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit and Ottawa, among others within 6 hours or so, if not less.

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Central New York Jobs

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/

I almost forgot about the Arts scene here too: http://www.syracusestage.org/home.aspx?page_id=1

https://everson.org/home.php

http://www.syracusesymphony.org/

http://www.syracusearts.net/directory/default.cfm

Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
I would throw Pittsburgh in for almost all the same reasons as St Louis. It's about the same size. It has a conservative tinge to it from a large Catholic population and a bunch of "yinzers" left over from the steel industry days but it is becoming more liberal with younger people beginning to move into a lot of the hipper areas. It has become a much cleaner city and has a large healthcare and education industry with many colleges with Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, etc. Plus I believe the cost of living is one of the lowest in the country for cities that size. Off the top of my head, the Southside Flats, Oakland (mostly college students), Shadyside, and Squirrel Hill are all great neighborhoods with a lot happening. I'm sure there's more but you'll have to ask people from there.

Overall St Louis and Pittsburgh fit exactly what you want I think.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Avoid New England.

Check out Lexington, KY and Grand Rapids, MI

If that's too large, Sioux Falls, SD. Too small? Cleveland, give it a chance!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
Richmond, VA. Don't know about the singles scene though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.