Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Minnesota is actually The Great Northwest, it said so on my beer can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Here's a new version. I've added a "Western Midwest" for areas like Rapid City and made changes to the Rust Belt and Lower Midwest. Also, keep in mind that this is a CULTURAL map, not a physiographical map.

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps
Although there is in many cases the culture is based on physiogeographical features so there is some connection.

I do like the descriptors that are on the map. It gives a good idea as to what went into determining an area. It seems the hardest areas to pin down are Lower Midwest and High Plains due to both being defined as transitional zones. Another note to add for Lower Midwest is to note Evangelicals start being more common the further South you go especially outside major cities.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:07 AM

398 posts, read 993,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Here's a new version. I've added a "Western Midwest" for areas like Rapid City and made changes to the Rust Belt and Lower Midwest. Also, keep in mind that this is a CULTURAL map, not a physiographical map.

Midwest boundaries - Google Maps
I appreciate your effort in drawing and re-drawing this map, but in my opinion the boundaries of the Great Plains on your map are completely in error. The Great Plains does not extend east of Des Moines. No one who lives in Iowa east of Des Moines calls where they live the Great Plains. The Great Plains begin west of Des Moines. East of Des Moines is the Midwest. North of I-80 and east of I-35 in Iowa is upper Midwest. South of I-80 and east of I-35 in Iowa is lower Midwest.

Second, the Great Plains do not end at the Nebraska/South Dakota border. This map reflects the particular Minnesota desire to extend the boundaries of the Upper Midwest into the far western Dakotas. Minnesotans wrongly believe that Minnesota is the center of the upper Midwest, and Minnesota cannot be the "center" unless the western boundary is somewhere in the Dakotas. The truth is Minnesota is on the western edge of the upper Midwest, and most of North and South Dakota are in the Great Plains. The center of the upper Midwest is eastern Wisconsin.

The Great Plains is a cultural region.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Second, the Great Plains do not end at the Nebraska/South Dakota border. This map reflects the particular Minnesota desire to extend the boundaries of the Upper Midwest into the far western Dakotas. Minnesotans wrongly believe that Minnesota is the center of the upper Midwest, and Minnesota cannot be the "center" unless the western boundary is somewhere in the Dakotas. The truth is Minnesota is on the western edge of the upper Midwest, and most of North and South Dakota are in the Great Plains. The center of the upper Midwest is eastern Wisconsin.

The Great Plains is a cultural region.
That's quite a generalization. In fact, no Minnesotan believes Minnesota is the center of the Upper Midwest, we all know the center of the Upper Midwest is Tomah, Wisconsin.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
That's the center of my drive to Chicago.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 AM

398 posts, read 993,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
That's quite a generalization. In fact, no Minnesotan believes Minnesota is the center of the Upper Midwest, we all know the center of the Upper Midwest is Tomah, Wisconsin.
You make my job too easy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Minneapolis is definitely the hub of the Upper Midwest.

//www.city-data.com/forum/14966766-post54.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
That would make sense seeing how MN is the center of the Upper Midwest.

//www.city-data.com/forum/14960566-post22.html

Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
You make my job too easy:
that proves nothing and you need a new job

Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that proves nothing and you need a new job
What are you talking about? That completely disproves your claim that no Minnesotans believe MN to be the center of the Upper Midwest.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
What are you talking about? That completely disproves your claim that no Minnesotans believe MN to be the center of the Upper Midwest.
OK, 1 out of 5 million. Hardly worthy of claims that all Minnesotans think that we are the center of the upper midwest, as if that is relevant to anything anyways. What is more important is where the middle Midwest is.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:23 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Well, here in Cleveland the area is mostly Catholic, Puerto Ricans are the 'hispanic' populations, lots of Germans, Italians, Irish, German, Hungarian, etc.. but it's odd. I find nothing in Indiana to be in common with Ohio, except maybe the bordering areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.