Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM

26 posts, read 63,828 times

Advertisements

Hey all, this may be premature, but I've been thinking about moving to Kentucky and would like some input on best region for my taste. We would probably not move for 5-6 years, but if we could find land to purchase before then that would be awesome.
About us. We like woodsy areas but preferr not to drive on gravel or dirt roads. Would love to see (or be in) mountains or close to a lake. We live in a log home in a private lake now and love the peace and quiet. We would maybe open retail kitchen cabinet store as source of income (we currently own a cabinet factory in Kansas) so maybe an area where there is building new homes. A town of 3000-6000 would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

To add to my post, we are a white couple married 28 yrs, christian, conservative. We do have 2 children left in the home that we have adopted, ages 8 & 9. They are african/american and we love them as they were our own. We've fostered them since birth and decided God meant for us to have them so we adopted them. They would probably still be in school when we make our move, so a good public school system is important.
We want to vacation in Ky first before making a purchase, so please any info on best area where there is no racism and a good church community would be helpful. Thanks.

We are looking to relocate to retire within the next 6-10 years and are wanting to know if Kentucky or Tennessee would be best for us. Yes I know it is a long time from now, but we want to vacation in the area several times to see if the fit is right.
About us:
White middle age married couple with no children left at home, vote republican, christian, conservative, enjoy comtemporary christian church services. Looking for area where we can enjoy good resturants, maybe AAA sporting events or small college events, town of 5-10k with good shopping and easy to navigate in. Wanting home in or around mountainous region with good views. Or would be willing to purchase land with intention to build log home in future. Would like low crime rate(like everyone else!) and a place where neighbors are friendly and not afraid to wave or say hello. Is there any place like this in Tennessee? Also, not afraid of a little snow, so that doesn't bother us. Please hit me back as I posted something similar in Ky post and no response as of yet.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-11-2010 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:16 AM

157 posts, read 440,310 times
You have the same in KY as you do in TN. Good luck

Old 07-17-2010, 07:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
why?!?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM

40 posts, read 82,388 times
Caliguy19, I was thinking the same exact thing! I have lived in both and all it has going for either is the place is pretty in the summer and fall.....that is the only good thing I can think of. (^^^)

Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
why?!?

Hard to believe you cannot see what would motivate someone to move to that part of America. The mountain scenery is truly beautiful, and the weather is nice most of the year. The people are some of the nicest in the entire nation. Tennessee also has a ton of historical sites to visit, southern plantations, civil war cites. Oh and lets not forget the awesome food, love the barbaque, sweet tea, grits etc. Southern food is the best. I see your from California, so you may not understand any of this. California is a very urban culture, almost another planet. I can say I have as hard of a time understanding why anyone would want to live in California as you do why someone would want to be in Tennessee. Personally I think Tennessee is Gods country.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 PM

40 posts, read 82,388 times
The weather is not nice most of the year. It is hot and humid in the summer, and cold and wet in the winter. I suppose people can be nice in any state, I have lived in 3 parts of Tn and they all weren't that nice. You can go on vacation to visit the sites, it is not something you need to do more than once....historical sites don't change after-all. You can get southern food most anywhere in the southern states. If you like them that much you can order them by mail. I have lived in the south all my life and have done plenty of traveling, this is why I just don't get anyone wanting to live in TN much less KY when they have other choices. Confusing....

Old 07-18-2010, 04:08 AM

307 posts, read 802,555 times
Murray, Kentucky comes to mind. It's a small college town, population around 15K, fairly conservative I'm sure. It's a short drive from Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley, it's about 45 minutes from Paducah if you're looking for some shopping. You can watch Murray State athletics in town, or you can make the drive to Nashville (about 2 hours) for some pro sports and entertainment.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrow08 View Post
The weather is not nice most of the year. It is hot and humid in the summer, and cold and wet in the winter....
I just don't get anyone wanting to live in TN much less KY when they have other choices. Confusing....
Depends on what you're used to and what you're looking for.
I've gone over to the dark side where I prefer to live in the pretty areas and only visit the cities.
I moved to the east TN Mountains and love it. Living in west TN was something I didn't especially care for, but a lot of other people seem to really enjoy it. Not everybody wants the same things. Out of the places I have lived and traveled I find this area to be closest to my ideal area. Lots of natural beauty, plenty of outdoor recreation, moderate four season climate with just enough snow, decent cost of living. What's confusing about that?

thayerwood_bob I don't think you are going to find what you want at the price you want in east TN, but have you thought about looking at Cherokee Village in Arkansas? Very pretty area, similar topography, out in the middle of nowhere but within a few hours of Memphis, some smaller towns closer in. Land is cheaper, you might find the price range you're looking for in that area. I bought a small parcel there a several years ago for some ridiculously low price.
ETA Just noticed you need good schools, so not sure about AR, I didn't have kids to consider when we bought so didn't look at that aspect

Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
Murray, Kentucky comes to mind. It's a small college town, population around 15K, fairly conservative I'm sure. It's a short drive from Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley, it's about 45 minutes from Paducah if you're looking for some shopping. You can watch Murray State athletics in town, or you can make the drive to Nashville (about 2 hours) for some pro sports and entertainment.
Murray State basketball is very good, they were in the sweet 16 during March Madness! Basketball is KY's sport for sure, and Murray fits the description perfectly.

Athens, OH is also fitting, though not in your states listed, has a similar climate and is one of the friendliest and most "cool" cities I've been to. It seems like there's no such thing as strangers, only friends there.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayerwood_bob View Post
Hey all, this may be premature, but I've been thinking about moving to Kentucky and would like some input on best region for my taste. We would probably not move for 5-6 years, but if we could find land to purchase before then that would be awesome.
About us. We like woodsy areas but preferr not to drive on gravel or dirt roads. Would love to see (or be in) mountains or close to a lake. We live in a log home in a private lake now and love the peace and quiet. We would maybe open retail kitchen cabinet store as source of income (we currently own a cabinet factory in Kansas) so maybe an area where there is building new homes. A town of 3000-6000 would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob

To add to my post, we are a white couple married 28 yrs, christian, conservative. We do have 2 children left in the home that we have adopted, ages 8 & 9. They are african/american and we love them as they were our own. We've fostered them since birth and decided God meant for us to have them so we adopted them. They would probably still be in school when we make our move, so a good public school system is important.
We want to vacation in Ky first before making a purchase, so please any info on best area where there is no racism and a good church community would be helpful. Thanks.

We are looking to relocate to retire within the next 6-10 years and are wanting to know if Kentucky or Tennessee would be best for us. Yes I know it is a long time from now, but we want to vacation in the area several times to see if the fit is right.
About us:
White middle age married couple with no children left at home, vote republican, christian, conservative, enjoy comtemporary christian church services. Looking for area where we can enjoy good resturants, maybe AAA sporting events or small college events, town of 5-10k with good shopping and easy to navigate in. Wanting home in or around mountainous region with good views. Or would be willing to purchase land with intention to build log home in future. Would like low crime rate(like everyone else!) and a place where neighbors are friendly and not afraid to wave or say hello. Is there any place like this in Tennessee? Also, not afraid of a little snow, so that doesn't bother us. Please hit me back as I posted something similar in Ky post and no response as of yet.
Tennessee has a lower over-all tax burden than Kentucky. According to the Tax Foundation, when all taxes (local, state, and federal) are combined, Kentucky has the 25th highest tax burden in the country, Tennessee is 44th.

There are several places in Tennessee I would recommend:

Jefferson City - pop. 8000, located between two large lakes, 30 minutes outside of Knoxville
Jonesborough - pop. 5000, Tennessee's most historic town, 10 minutes from Johnson City
Kingston - pop. 6000, located on a large lake, 20 minutes outside of Knoxville
Soddy-Daisy - pop. 10,000, located on a large lake, 10 minutes outside of Chattanooga

Each of those towns is nestled in mountains and within close proximity to a much larger city.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.