Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:58 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times

Advertisements

Okay- QUESTION: Everyone that has moved:
  • [LEFT]Are you moving closer to family? [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Are you moving because it is needed and you will deal with the family/distance thing later? [/LEFT]
  • Or are you moving away from family?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 04:25 PM

164 posts, read 353,180 times
Default Interesting Question

We are moving because it is needed and we will deal with family issues as they arise. Family staying back in Calif, though my parents might move to NC after we get there. I haven't really concerned myself about it because my family has always encouraged travel and exploring new areas. We also talk on the phone and are willing to travel. But this week I am on vacation with my parents, and it is hitting me that we won't see them very much after we move to North Carolina. And that my kids won't have their grandparents ...

Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
My husband and I recently moved closer to our families (about 80 miles away) after living out of state (1200 miles away) for 5 years. Family/friends were definitely a big part of the equation, though we had other reasons too.

One bonus to living closer to family is you don't feel obligated to spend your vaction time going "home."

I do think it's possible to live TOO close to family though...I think we're now the perfect distance away

Old 08-09-2006, 04:56 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
We plan on moving next year and we'll be much father from family, unfortunately. We're moving based on earning potential and cost of living; most of our family is in NJ and it's too expensive here for us. We will either end up in NC about 2 hours from my dad, 11 hours from my in-laws, mom and siblings; or in MO which is 24 hours from everybody (except for an aunt who will be 2 hours away). It's a hard decision and our families are sad but we feel we have to do what is best for our future.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Default Family? Do they pay my bills?

We are from the Baltimore-DC area, our families are still back there.

We retired and moved 1600 miles west to Colorado Springs because we wanted to, mainly because we get twice the house for the money.

There are many other good reasons we came here...a state income tax break of $20k per retiree...very low humidity...no hurricanes...no earthquakes...no tornadoes to speak of...no bugs to speak of...relatively mild winters with little snow here on the Front Range...a few hours from being in the high country with all its snow and winter sports...lots of things to do here...people are friendlier here...traffic is just a fraction of what it is back in the DC area so that you can get to all the things you want to see or do...you can drive to a huge variety of national parks in a day or so...cost of living is lower than in most coastal areas...and on and on it goes....

We weren't running away from family. We were running to a much nicer place to live. I can visit my family via email and that will work fine. We can fly back once or twice a year and that will suffice. They can come see me if they wish. We lived 1-2 hours from most of them and they never came to see us in 30 years of living in western Fairfax County. Those "bonds" aren't enough to keep me back there in that helllish environment or prices and gridlock of Fairfax County, VA.

s/Mike

Old 08-09-2006, 08:19 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Moved for financial reasons. Could no longer afford Florida. Left 91 year old grandmother and in-laws behind. Husband has not forgiven me, but is starting to figure it out.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
We moved for our own enrichment. It did mean moving away from family, but we're still within a day and half's drive. We moved my mom out here to the same town and she's fairing much better here than she was in CA.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,654 times
We moved 2900 miles away, originally because we were tired of where we were living and wanted something different.

Before we moved away, most of our family (on both sides) was within 15 miles of us. The rest were within 250 miles.

Living far away from any relatives has its good points and bad points, but.. all things considered, we are much happier. We have a lot more control over WHEN we see family, WHO we visit, and HOW LONG we visit.

Overall, there are a few family members that we miss, but there are quite a few that we don't miss...

Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
My family is spread out over several continents. None of them this one so I guess I'm in the "moving away" camp! The only close relative here is an aunt in Northern California and I visit her once a year.
Siblings and parents are in Scotland, Spain, Greece, Berlin and England. (I'm the only US citizen in my immediate family because I was born here.) My sister's in England now but spent 19 years living in Israel...this has made it more affordable to travel a lot since I've got free accomodation in several countries.
My mother & stepfather (Scotland) are in their 70s. Healthier and more active than most 30 year olds I know, but I do worry about what might happen if either or both need care at some point. That's when distance would become a problem.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 AM

165 posts, read 926,002 times
Cool Okay:Question...What about family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom
Okay- QUESTION: Everyone that has moved:
  • [LEFT]Are you moving closer to family? [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Are you moving because it is needed and you will deal with the family/distance thing later? [/LEFT]
  • Or are you moving away from family?
Thanks

I'm already far from family and I am moving within the same state which remains far from family (with the exception of those coming for the ride with me of course).

The main thing I miss about family not being close by is I don't have someone at the ready to take the kids for the wife and I to go out and be civillized human beings more often. Other than that...I'm glad they can't just walk in at unexpected moments (remember the Everybody Loves Raymond show?). =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.