Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Not to get off-topic, but I don't think I've ever heard blacks referred to as "Anglo-Americans" before.

btw...peep the asterisk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
No prob...But what point were you trying to make originally?
That other parts of Texas had similar history to East Texas and just because people from the upper south founded some lots of areas outside of ETX; don't mean nothing. Slavery, jim crow laws, cotton, and all were still huge outside of East Texas and Houston.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
But they dont share exactly the same history as east texas...East texas was settled by Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia migrants...Other areas were settled by people from the upper south so culture and folkways will vary a little.
GREAT map, Solytaire? Where did you come across it?

I will have to post sometime (as I am not sure what file I stuck it in! LOL), one that goes right along with this one as concerns birthplace and absolute numbers of Texas settlers during those years. From memory, it went along that Tennessee and Alabama furnished the most..with Mississippi not far behind. Georgia came next. Then (in no particular order), Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Louisana, the Carolinas.

As a general rule though, correct. Lower South dominated in East Texas while Upper did in North Texas. Central seemed to be a mix. Both Deep and Upper.

But anyway, yep, the settlement patterns are very telling...

Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wrong.
give me an example. prove to me how i'm wrong

Quote:
Well he never exactly said Houston was deep south, but he never said it wasn't either.
you weren't paying attention. he clearly states that houston is a deep south city in pretty much the same sense atlanta is

Quote:
Location, Location, Location
and that makes no sense

Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
GREAT map, Solytaire? Where did you come across it?

I will have to post sometime (as I am not sure what file I stuck it in! LOL), one that goes right along with this one as concerns birthplace and absolute numbers of Texas settlers during those years. From memory, it went along that Tennessee and Alabama furnished the most..with Mississippi not far behind. Georgia came next. Then (in no particular order), Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Louisana, the Carolinas.

As a general rule though, correct. Lower South dominated in East Texas while Upper did in North Texas. Central seemed to be a mix. Both Deep and Upper.

But anyway, yep, the settlement patterns are very telling...
Thanks Reb...I actually came across it a few years back (maybe 5 or 6 years ago) while I was surfing the internet doing independent research on settlement patterns and regional affiliations etc, while a professor of mine was lecturing..(yes, I was off task..lol)...this sort of thing has always intrigued me, so it kind of stayed in the back of my mind until now...I just figured it would be somewhat relevant in helping to understand the cultural variations of Texas regions.

anywho, if you want it just go here... you can download it and save it, or just copy and paste this link whenever you want to use it...

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...pop_origin.jpg

apparently its in the University of TX library somewhere...hope it can be of some use to you

Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
That other parts of Texas had similar history to East Texas and just because people from the upper south founded some lots of areas outside of ETX; don't mean nothing. Slavery, jim crow laws, cotton, and all were still huge outside of East Texas and Houston.
it is false to say they were huge. they were nowhere near as wide spread as in eastern texas

from wikipedia:
Quote:
The Cotton industry flourished in East Texas where enslaved labor became most widely used. The central part of the state was dominated by subsistence farmers.
History of slavery in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt say that it doesnt mean anything...of course it doesnt mean everything unto itself, but I think something can be taken from it....Jim Crow Laws, Cotton etc were huge outside of East Texas because those things were huge throughout most of the lower south, and as stated before, the other areas were settled by people from the south...but it would be foolhardy of them not to capitalize on a crop that grew in Central or North Texas just because the settlers themselves werent from the lower south...but, by far and away, east texas culture had the heaviest concentration of people from the deep south, and therefore the rational conclusion can be made that generally its culture will be more reflective of the deep south than other areas in their totalities. (Im not talking about the one or two counties in other regions that were settled by deep southerners - again, statistical outliers dont offset the entire standard)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
give me an example. prove to me how i'm wrong

Give me an example why it's not.

you weren't paying attention. he clearly states that houston is a deep south city in pretty much the same sense atlanta is

I saw that and very much read everything he said. He said essentially Houston was a deep south city; you're saying it is a deep south city. It wasn't me really agreeing with him necessarily, but I didn't disagree. He put it in a way that it made sense unlike you just simply putting "Houston is deep south!"

and that makes no sense

Location: Texas. I already explained it to you, but you fail to understand.
^^^

Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it is false to say they were huge. they were nowhere near as wide spread as in eastern texas

from wikipedia:

History of slavery in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you read farther down; East Texas and the Houston/Galveston area only accounted for 40 percent of the slave population in Texas. 50% were scattered around South, Central, and north Texas. Central Texas was an ideal place for slaves due to it's fertile land and that's why slavery actually started moving west.

Check this out:

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
If you read farther down; East Texas and the Houston/Galveston area only accounted for 40 percent of the slave population in Texas. 50% were scattered around South, Central, and north Texas. Central Texas was an ideal place for slaves due to it's fertile land and that's why slavery actually started moving west.

Check this out:
So the 2nd largest amount of slaves were around present day Sugar Land and MO City in 1860..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.