Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Good grief... Austin in with left coast? Uh, no. No, no, no. Where are you getting this from?
Like others have said, most of the major Texas metros lean liberal in the city centers. And have you ever looked at Williamson County outside of Austin? Very conservative.
I've lived in central Austin. It's the state CAPITAL. I've never seen so much Texas symbolism as there. There may be a lot of Californian transplants (just like Houston and Dallas and San Antonio too) but most of them seem to integrate pretty well if you ask me. If you want to categorize a city based on where a large number of transplants come from lately, you had better remove Houston from the deep south (which is wrong anyway) and put a circle around most of it into a northeast US category. And a circle around San Antonio and put it into a Mexico category. Sounds a little silly, right?

The southern regions map in the other thread is all jacked up too with regards to Texas.

I get the impression the OP/map creator is not very familiar with Texas and just going off hearsay for some of it. The Texas maps in both threads need to be fixed, otherwise can't be taken seriously.
Urban areas in general tend to be more liberal than the surrounding area as well as college towns so Austin is as predicted in this regard.

In terms of a large black population to count an area as Southern, there are a wide areas of the South that have very few blacks, mainly in the higher elevations and Northern areas of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Anybody who would include Petaluma as a major West Coast city simply doesn't know geography. It's like saying Brownsville is a major Texas city! If someone is that clueless than the rest of the study is questionable. Austin, like Houston\ Dallas\ San Antonio are liberal because they are the largest cities in the state and have many universities. Texas liberalism is the same all over the nation; all of America's large cities vote Democratic and have more diversity.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Austin is no more "west coast" than Minneapolis is. Boulder both is and isn't a suburb of Denver. There are many people who live in one town and work in the other, going both directions.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
berkeley is NOT a suburb, its got a population density of 9,823 people per square mile (more dense than long beach)

and if you knew anything about berkeley's political and cultural history youd know that it is quite reasonable to put it as a major "left coast", city.
Berkeley is not a suburb? That's news to me! It's not "suburbia" but is a suburb of both Oakland and SF. Unless we're now counting every moderately dense city of 100,000 people as a "major city." I know lots about Berkeley's "political and cultural" history as well...i grew up and live 10 miles from the place. Berkeley punches above it's weight for a city of 100k people, but it's not a major city. That designation is reserved for big, principal cities such as it's neighbors...you know, Oakland and San Francisco (and San Jose too).

Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 AM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
Berkley has an esteemed college.. lol.

For the most part I agree with the map.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 AM
rah

^So does Palo Alto. And Cambridge. And New Haven. Are those "major cities" too?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 AM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
I was making a joke..

Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
rah

whoooops, my bad. Cursed internet and it's lack of a sarcasm meter!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
The fact that we are still astonished over major mistakes makes this thread flawed in my opinion. On the other hand, I never thought of Oakland and Berkeley as suburbs of San Francisco since they are very old cities established well before the Bay Area became a major metro region. I understand the designation but I think places like Daly City\ San Mateo\ San Carlos\ Fremont\ San Leandro as suburbs more than Oakland and Berkeley.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 PM
rah

^When did anyone say Oakland was a suburb?

As far as Berkeley, it's not one of the three main cities of the Bay Area, so what is it exactly if not a suburb? Like i said, it's not "suburbia", as it's a very dense and bustling place which could easily pass as part of SF or Oakland (hell, it basically IS a part of Oakland)...but it is an inner suburb. I don't really see what else you could classify it as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.