Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 02:53 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,025,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
1.So the vague, uninformed opinions of people in other countries should define this rather than the firsthand knowledge of the people who live there? I mean, I know that's not literally what you're saying, but it almost sounds like you're condoning or excusing such ignorance. I know that for me personally, I don't let my preconceived notions about local nuances in other countries... or even other states/regions inhibit me from learning the truth from the people who actually live in those countries/states/regions.

2.Wrong on Dallas. Just because their NFL team is called "Cowboys" doesn't determine whether or not Dallas is a Western city. Cincinatti's NFL team is called "Bengals". Good look finding any Bengal Tigers roaming the streets of Cincinatti. You'll also be pretty hard-pressed to find any actual cowboys in Dallas.

3.the West doesn't begin anywhere near as far East as you think it does.
1.Where did i say they were vague and uninformed opinions? Not saying it should define it but truth is we're living on a planet where the majority (always) wins.

2.Picture of Fort Worth (in Dallas metro area)

3.If you say the West starts in San Angelo, Texas that would make most of Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska Eastern states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.Where did i say they were vague and uninformed opinions?
You didn't say that. I did.

Quote:
Not saying it should define it but truth is we're living on a planet where the majority (always) wins.
That makes no sense within the context of this discussion. I'm not really sure who this "majority" you're referring to is. Are you implying that the majority of the people on planet Earth think Houston is a Western city? If so, how did you go about reaching this conclusion?

Quote:
2.Picture of Fort Worth (in Dallas metro area)
That's the Stockyards in downtown Ft. Worth. They have always put on a Western/cowboy display there. That still doesn't make Fort Worth a truly Western city. It has Western flair, more so than Dallas, which really has none... but the rest of the city outside of that one touristy part of downtown is nothing like the Stockyards. Besides, cowboys aren't the determining factor of Western U.S. culture. Phoenix, which is a truly Western city, is pretty much devoid of cowboys. Same goes for other true Western cities like Denver, Salt Lake City, and Las Vegas. Not to mention the West coast cities.

Quote:
3.If you say the West starts in San Angelo, Texas that would make most of Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska Eastern states
First of all, I didn't say that. I said San Angelo is one of the only cities in Texas that can be considered Western. And how do you figure that would make those other states Eastern? They are transitional, CENTRAL states that can pretty much be divided into East and West. I've been quite clear about that all along. Read back. You're just twisting my words out of context.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
I always considered the area around Tulsa to be the start of the West. The oil rigs, changing landscape, and flora/fauna always signified the start of the West for me.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:

2.Picture of Fort Worth (in Dallas-Fort Worth metro area)

Fixed that for ya.

(It's called "DFW" for a reason...)

Old 09-29-2014, 01:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Fort Worth definitely has a western character about it, but I have some neighbors from Dallas, and the longer I have known them (here in New Mexico which is by any definition, Western), the more culturally Southern they seem to me.

I also dispute, after having visitied, that San Antonio is a Western, much less Southwestern, city.

Anyway, one rule of thumb to discerning East vs. West is the presence of center-pivot irrigation which make it easy to identify the semi-arid division in satellite imagery such as google maps.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I also dispute, after having visitied, that San Antonio is a Western, much less Southwestern, city.
Just out of curiosity, what was it about San Antonio that gave you the impression that it's a Western city? I'm quite familiar with SA. My dad has lived there for the last 35 years and I have spent a LOT of time there. It definitely has the Mexican influence that most of South Texas has, and feels much less Southern than Dallas or Houston, but Western? I've never gotten that impression from SA.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was it about San Antonio that gave you the impression that it's a Western city? I'm quite familiar with SA. My dad has lived there for the last 35 years and I have spent a LOT of time there. It definitely has the Mexican influence that most of South Texas has, and feels much less Southern than Dallas or Houston, but Western? I've never gotten that impression from SA.
I said I disputed claims that San Antonio is Western.

I have heard remarked several times recently on C-D forums that San Antonio is Western or Southwestern. I disagree. Coming from the Southwest myself, I felt that San Antonio was more like the South (but not the proper Old South) than anything else.

Honestly, I don't know where to place southern Texas. And the only part of Texas that I consider the Southwest is El Paso and a limited area around it.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:

I have heard remarked several times recently on C-D forums that San Antonio is Western or Southwestern. I disagree. Coming from the Southwest myself, I felt that San Antonio was more like the South (but not the proper Old South) than anything else.

Honestly, I don't know where to place southern Texas. And the only part of Texas that I consider the Southwest is El Paso and a limited area around it.
Oh. Sorry then. I misread what you initially posted. I guess you and I are in perfect agreement (about Texas) then.

Yeah, South Texas is a hard one to categorize. It's not Western, or Southwestern... but it's not typically Southern either. It's kind of it's own unique sub-region.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:

Well, since you live in the actual Southwest, your perspective on SA is gonna be alot different. Someone from say actual South like Savannah, might view San Antonio as a entity culturally distinct from the South.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, since you live in the actual Southwest, your perspective on SA is gonna be alot different. Someone from say actual South like Savannah, might view San Antonio as a entity culturally distinct from the South.
How about the perspective of someone who is actually from Texas? Someone with close family ties to San Antonio going back 35 years? That someone would be me, and I totally agree with ABQconvict. It is neither a Western, nor Eastern U.S. city. Like pretty much all major Texas cities, it is South-Central U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.