Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM

399 posts, read 819,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFC View Post
It's the "Irish-Cherokee" mixes in the South that crack me up. Chuck Norris for instance. Yeah, right, Mr Norris!

He has even less Irish in him than...

Ancestry of Barack Obama

..Irish American

I'll have to get a copy of "Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America" -- it looks interesting. Have you ever read "Albion's Seed" by David Hackett Fischer?
Chuck Norris is a perfect example. I may be wrong but I'd suggest he is Scots-Irish rather than Irish. He comes from a small town in Oklahoma while most Irish folks settled in the industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest. There are plenty of stars who say they are Irish/Native American while Irish Catholics had very little contact with Native Americans compared with Scots-Irish. The thing is that apart from a DNA test, we have to believe what people say.

About Obama, I knew he was more English than Irish but I understand that for the media is much more interesting to say that he has Irish background rather than English.

I didn't read the book of David Hackett Fischer but I saw the article on Wikipedia. It really shows the influence of British culture on American culture. I would read it if I have time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
See top 15 ancestries at:
Maps of American ancestries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no reason to believe people of English ancestry are more likely to report their ancestry as "ordinary American" than any other group of caucasions.
A lot of areas clearly settled by Scots-Irish (Appalachian areas) are dominated by "American" reported ethnicity. The South was dominated by protestant Brits, although you would probably need to look at earlier census data to figure out if that's been consistent throughout time.

My friend claims British ancestry, but that's because his maternal grandmother was born in England. He also claims Italian ancestry because his dad's family is Italian-American.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Mexican?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM

44 posts, read 73,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
A lot of areas clearly settled by Scots-Irish (Appalachian areas) are dominated by "American" reported ethnicity. The South was dominated by protestant Brits, although you would probably need to look at earlier census data to figure out if that's been consistent throughout time.

There is no doubt that the "Scotch-Irish" are a part of the "American" ethnicity, but I'm sure an even greater number of "Scotch-Irish" mistakenly call themselves "Irish".

The only big movement of immigrants into the South came from Britain/Denmark, in the form of Mormon converts.

My friend claims British ancestry, but that's because his maternal grandmother was born in England. He also claims Italian ancestry because his dad's family is Italian-American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Chuck Norris is a perfect example. I may be wrong but I'd suggest he is Scots-Irish rather than Irish. He comes from a small town in Oklahoma while most Irish folks settled in the industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest. There are plenty of stars who say they are Irish/Native American while Irish Catholics had very little contact with Native Americans compared with Scots-Irish. The thing is that apart from a DNA test, we have to believe what people say.

He's probably a typical English/Scotch-Irish mix. All of his immediate family names, "Norris", "Scarberry", "Hargrove", "Tinker", are English. Obviously, a large number of Scotch-Irish have English ancestry (something you may not realise by the name "Scotch-Irish" ), but there is no reason to believe that anybody with these names came from Ireland, rather than England.

About Obama, I knew he was more English than Irish but I understand that for the media is much more interesting to say that he has Irish background rather than English.

America wants to forget it's English/British past. It's the very reason the "Ellis Island lot" are made out to be the immigrants that made America.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
I don't feel that German is over reported, but I do feel that Scotch-Irish/English is under reported, due to the Census allowing the choice of "American" for ancestry. Also, the majority of the people claiming "Irish" in the south are probably actually Scotch-Irish.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
Quote:
Most German Americans are not even close to being pure. .

I hear you man. Hitler would turn in his grave.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM

823 posts, read 1,973,289 times
I am currently reading John Barleycorn, the fascinating memours of Jack London. On the first chapters, he recalls how his mother was proud of their American stock, "unilke their Jew and Italian neighbors".

"London" seems a very Anglo name.

Great author, in my opinion unfairly undarrated.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM

44 posts, read 73,809 times
Jack London was born John Griffith Chaney. He was of British stock.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,156 times
Hey, we're all from Africa originally, anyway. Thanks for including the maps; they were helpful. Oh, and BTW, the word is "descent," not "decent."

Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM

552 posts, read 720,064 times
Whatch out speling nazi iz here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.