Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times

Advertisements

Strong contender for Bizarre Post of the Year ; I didn't know that CD was hosting the Male Model Pageant..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times
Germans, Irish, English, Scottish, Dutch, Danish and Norwegian people all look very similar, I wonder if anyone could tell the differences simply by looking at their facial features?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM

52 posts, read 41,596 times
english.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Germans, Irish, English, Scottish, Dutch, Danish and Norwegian people all look very similar, I wonder if anyone could tell the differences simply by looking at their facial features?
Apparently that Norse poster can. I think his post was mostly a bunch of rubbish though. Any of those pictures he posted could refer to any ethnic group in northern Europe.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:27 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,305 times
German ancestry hands down it has been established. I remember the first time I came to America through a high school student exchange with a high school in a small Texas town. I was treated like a celebrity in that town. It was amazing. I'm from Germany by the way. I'm still in contact with my host family up to this day they are like a second family to me.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
German is far more reported, but I find it hard to believe it's more common than English ancestry. Do you think English ancestry is actually more common and just isn't reported as often since it's seen by many as "ordinary American" ancestry?
See top 15 ancestries at:
Maps of American ancestries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no reason to believe people of English ancestry are more likely to report their ancestry as "ordinary American" than any other group of caucasions.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM

44 posts, read 73,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
German ancestry hands down it has been established. I remember the first time I came to America through a high school student exchange with a high school in a small Texas town. I was treated like a celebrity in that town. It was amazing. I'm from Germany by the way. I'm still in contact with my host family up to this day they are like a second family to me.
The only thing established is -- "English", "Scottish", "Welsh" and "Scotch-Irish" ancestry are all under-reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
See top 15 ancestries at:
Maps of American ancestries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no reason to believe people of English ancestry are more likely to report their ancestry as "ordinary American" than any other group of caucasions.
Of course there is! Have a look at the 1980 census, it clearly shows that before the option to call yourself simply "American", the vast majority put "English".

"American" will also include Scotch-Irish, Welsh and Scottish, but the English will make up the majority.

Talking about the Scotch-Irish --

Why is it that half the people who call themselves "Irish" on the census, are actually in the South. I know that some Catholic Irish became Protestant on moving into the Southern states -- but it was only a small percentage of them. Hmmm...

Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 AM

399 posts, read 820,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFC View Post

Why is it that half the people who call themselves "Irish" on the census, are actually in the South. I know that some Catholic Irish became Protestant on moving into the Southern states -- but it was only a small percentage of them. Hmmm...
I know what you mean. Most people who call themselves Irish in the south are actually Scotch-Irish, but this term isn't very widespread. I'm sure Scotch-Irish American are the second largest ancestry in the south after English American and before German American. But when people think about Scotch-Irish, they think about hillbillies and crackers and they don't consider themselves like that.

The autor Jim Webb wrote in his book Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, that the true number of Scotch-Irish is estimated about 27 million.

People also forget that many African Americans and Native Americans have some English/Scotch-Irish blood.

About English American, I found this interesting article the other day: Where are the English Americans ?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the link...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I know what you mean. Most people who call themselves Irish in the south are actually Scotch-Irish, but this term isn't very widespread. I'm sure Scotch-Irish American are the second largest ancestry in the south after English American and before German American. But when people think about Scotch-Irish, they think about hillbillies and crackers and they don't consider themselves like that.

The autor Jim Webb wrote in his book Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, that the true number of Scotch-Irish is estimated about 27 million.

People also forget that many African Americans and Native Americans have some English/Scotch-Irish blood.

About English American, I found this interesting article the other day: Where are the English Americans ?
that was an exceptional piece and a truly a good read!

"The more they multiply, the more friends you will have; the more ardently they love liberty, the more perfect will be their obedience. Slavery they can have anywhere. It is a weed that grows in every soil. They may have it from Spain, they may have it from Prussia. But, until you become lost to all feeling of your true interest and your natural dignity, freedom they can have from none but you…”

(http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15198/15198-h/15198-h.htm#CONCILIATION_WITH_THE_COLONIES).

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM

44 posts, read 73,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post

It's the "Irish-Cherokee" mixes in the South that crack me up. Chuck Norris for instance. Yeah, right, Mr Norris!

He has even less Irish in him than...

Ancestry of Barack Obama

..Irish American

I'll have to get a copy of "Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America" -- it looks interesting. Have you ever read "Albion's Seed" by David Hackett Fischer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.