Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I love the South more, then the North by a LOT. I wanna stay below the mason dixon line, y'all hear? I don't fit in at all with Northerners, I'm too conservative, more Religion-friendly then most northerners, I listen to Country Music, and I can NOT stand the noise anymore!

I like ribs, I like country singers, I love God, I'm a firebreathing supporter of the Republican Party, I love it below the Mason Dixon Line.

Because that's where it's at
Are you originally from the North...or are you just that in love with the South? Also, have you spent any extended time in the Northeast?

I spent four years in South Carolina for college (Clemson). I loved it. South Carolina was a bit odd at times--especially the extremely rural area I was in --but that was just because I wasn't used to the culture. I absolutely loved cities like Charleston and Athens (GA).

As much as I loved my time in the South, when my time came to leave, I was ready. I grew a great appreciation for where I'm from in the time I spent away...and as much as I enjoyed my time there, I don't think I would consider living in the South. I need to be in/near big (feeling) cities that are dense, walkable with thriving neighborhoods with people all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:58 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Are you originally from the North...or are you just that in love with the South? Also, have you spent any extended time in the Northeast?

I spent four years in South Carolina for college (Clemson). I loved it. South Carolina was a bit odd at times--especially the extremely rural area I was in --but that was just because I wasn't used to the culture. I absolutely loved cities like Charleston and Athens (GA).

As much as I loved my time in the South, when my time came to leave, I was ready. I grew a great appreciation for where I'm from in the time I spent away...and as much as I enjoyed my time there, I don't think I would consider living in the South. I need to be in/near big (feeling) cities that are dense, walkable with thriving neighborhoods with people all over the place.
Were you always planning on going back to Massachusetts after college? Or were you thinking of staying in the South after college at one point?

Like you, I went to high school in Massachusetts and college in the Sunbelt. But I don't have a desire to go back to Massachusetts after college.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times
"Ex-Northerners: Do you like living in the South or do you wish you would be living up north again?"
Especially in the summer. I'm tired of 100+ days.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
I think it really depends on where in the North vs. where in the South you are talking about. People on C-D always seem to want to compare the most vibrant and progressive areas of the Northeast (Manhattan, etc.) with the most rural and conservative areas of the South. There are plenty of boring towns in the North, and lots of vibrant culture in the South.
THANK you.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I need to be in/near big (feeling) cities that are dense, walkable with thriving neighborhoods with people all over the place.
Yeah it isn't necessarily an issue with any regions, its the cities within those regions, there are only a few areas given the choice I'd want to live in. I've never been to North Dakota, but I know I would never want to live there. There are some cities in the South that are catching up but they aren't quite there yet up to what *I* am looking for. I've traveled a lot, lived allover, and have strong preferences, some might find that offensive, but they are my personal preferences, I know what I like and what I don't like. I know where I thrive, and where I become reclusive. I've hopped around a bunch, some places are great to visit, some great to live in for a bit for experience, but only a few places were ever long term options. I know where I fit in better, get around better, enjoy life better, etc. etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM

166 posts, read 609,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But... living in NJ is not going to be like spending your vacations there. It's one thing to Know about the cold, and another to have to get up every morning and put on six layers of clothing to stay warm.
When I went to NJ in June, it was right when the heat wave was about to begin. I remember it being in the low 90s for a few days and hearing my relatives complain about it. Me and family told them that it wasn't too bad since A) It was already in the upper 90s in TN when we left and B) the humidity in TN is WAY worse than northern heat.

Trust me when I say that I ABHOR summer weather in the South. I'm never out during the day because of it. I'm dead serious when I say that I have gone a week without leaving my house during the day, primarily because the weather sucks. I will gladly take the colder winters over the brutal summers. I don't know what it is, but I find the heat worse the than the cold since it feels more oppressive for some reason.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 AM

4,871 posts, read 4,982,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
who is "they"? the northerners or the southerners?
"They" are the Northerners.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:35 AM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Trust me when I say that I ABHOR summer weather in the South. I'm never out during the day because of it. I'm dead serious when I say that I have gone a week without leaving my house during the day, primarily because the weather sucks. I will gladly take the colder winters over the brutal summers. I don't know what it is, but I find the heat worse the than the cold since it feels more oppressive for some reason.
Having lived in Memphis for way longer than I wanted, I completely understand your feelings about the heat, it's one of the big reasons I left there for the cooler temps of the TN mountains.
But just like the heat is different in the north than it is in the south, the cold is different too. Not sure how NJ is but in MI the cold is drier and somehow 'sharper'. Not that it's better or worse, just that it's different.

I'm just saying make sure you do you're homework, have a reasonable idea of what to expect, and then don't be surprised when your new hometown still isn't quite what you thought it would be. That goes for anyplace you move, not just NJ.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:12 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
"Ex-Northerners: Do you like living in the South or do you wish you would be living up north again?"
Especially in the summer. I'm tired of 100+ days.
Come to Tampa, it never hits 100 degrees.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM

166 posts, read 609,930 times
Another reason for my wanting to move back to NJ is the suburban sprawl of many major Southern cities. If I stay in the South, I would want to live either in or around a big city like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston or Charlotte. However, these cities (not just the suburbs but the actual cities themselves) are known for huge suburban sprawl. Even hear in the Nashville metro, everything seems at least 15 minutes to 30 minutes to get to when driving. Back in Jersey, all my family members say that anything that is more than a 15 minute drive is a long drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.