Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 10,871 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate NC. My husband is not fond of the place either. Racism is still a problem here and no one really seems to care they just along with it. The area around Charlotte is VERY rural and very church orientated. We are not church goers not in the slightest....... Everything is so spaced out here its ridiculous. And I have found southern hospitality to be a fake. It's different when you are just visiting the south but living there is a whole different ball game. We are faced with

hearing gunshots by and sometimes hitting our house
seeing confederate flags
higher cost of living
poor road conditions
poor living conditions like seeing animal tied to trees with no fresh water or food...nearly breaks my heart as i am an animal lover
boring, unhealthy food choices no good Italian or ethnic foods
several break-ins
blunt and upfront racism
no street lights on the roads
religion everywhere

not saying these are bad things for everybody but we never had these problems while living in NYC metro area and the DMV ( dc-maryland-virginia) area. i would pack up my belongings and move back to NYC or DC in a heartbeat if given the chance. i do not like this area at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
I absolutely hate NC. My husband is not fond of the place either. Racism is still a problem here and no one really seems to care they just along with it. The area around Charlotte is VERY rural and very church orientated. We are not church goers not in the slightest....... Everything is so spaced out here its ridiculous. And I have found southern hospitality to be a fake. It's different when you are just visiting the south but living there is a whole different ball game. We are faced with

hearing gunshots by and sometimes hitting our house
seeing confederate flags
higher cost of living
poor road conditions
poor living conditions like seeing animal tied to trees with no fresh water or food...nearly breaks my heart as i am an animal lover
boring, unhealthy food choices no good Italian or ethnic foods
several break-ins
blunt and upfront racism
no street lights on the roads
religion everywhere

not saying these are bad things for everybody but we never had these problems while living in NYC metro area and the DMV ( dc-maryland-virginia) area. i would pack up my belongings and move back to NYC or DC in a heartbeat if given the chance. i do not like this area at all.
You've lived in the New York City area but you think Charlotte is expensive?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM

192 posts, read 560,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Back in Jersey, all my family members say that anything that is more than a 15 minute drive is a long drive.
Where do they live in New Jersey? I was amazed at the traffic congestion when we spent a couple of weeks there contemplating a move several years ago (my husband's company is headquartered in Bridgewater). It seemed like it took 15 minutes to go 3 miles!

I was impressed with the area's offerings, overall, and think that Jersey is underrated. But that level of density is a bit much for me -- the office park he would have worked in reminded me of an overgrown anthill!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:25 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
Where do they live in New Jersey? I was amazed at the traffic congestion when we spent a couple of weeks there contemplating a move several years ago (my husband's company is headquartered in Bridgewater). It seemed like it took 15 minutes to go 3 miles!

I was impressed with the area's offerings, overall, and think that Jersey is underrated. But that level of density is a bit much for me -- the office park he would have worked in reminded me of an overgrown anthill!
Exactly. Not everyone likes density. I don't like density and I am tired of people in dense areas saying the density is an advantage of living there.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Exactly. Not everyone likes density. I don't like density and I am tired of people in dense areas saying the density is an advantage of living there.
But it is an advantage for those who want it and use it to the fullest. If you don't like it fine, but that is different, just say you don't like it. They are two different lifestyles. I feel like a fish out of water sometimes if I am a rural environment. I don't like it. There are advantages of that though if you want that. The same feeling you probably get if you were in NYC for more than a few days and start to feel a little stir crazy, I do the same thing if I am out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You've lived in the New York City area but you think Charlotte is expensive?
taking in leaving on the ac 24/7 during the dreaded summer humidity and owning a car really adds on to the cost of living. public transportation is horrible here compared to nyc and dc. it is pretty expensive compared to the quality of life here. we cant wait to put our house on the market.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
taking in leaving on the ac 24/7 during the dreaded summer humidity and owning a car really adds on to the cost of living. public transportation is horrible here compared to nyc and dc. it is pretty expensive compared to the quality of life here. we cant wait to put our house on the market.
Yeah you have to calculate added expense of having a bigger place (which often studios/1br/ shared living situations aren't as available, so you are forced to get a 2-3 bedroom place to not be in the ghetto or college dorm style areas), having to have a car, car insurance, gas, driving to get everything. I could see how if you went from one lifestyle (efficient urban) to trying to carry that out in a more suburban environment it would actually be more expensive for you. It isn't so much an apples to apples comparison, but the different options you have to choose from.

Last edited by grapico; 07-17-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM

166 posts, read 612,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
They live in Mercer County, in and around Trenton. The Trenton area is great because it is roughly 30 miles from Philadelphia and about 60 miles from NYC. They have a mall, a 24-screen cinema and various local ethnic restaurants and mom-n-pop shops all across the area that are rarely more than 10 minutes to get to. The other good thing is that both Trenton and Hamilton have train stations which can take you to Philadelphia as well as New York (if you take certain express routes, you can get to New York in as little as 60 minutes). Oh, and they are about 25 minutes from Six Flags, about 45 to an hour from Manasquan and Point Pleasant beach and about a 2-3 drive from the Pocono Mountains.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
I was forced to move down here from Michigan due to being 10 at the time, but I assume it still counts for something. I'm trying my best to get back to the Midwest, and I'm trying so hard that this introvert is networking with people for the first time! Whether it's for graduate school or just work, I'm hoping to be away from here so I can experience the winter of 2011-12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Trust me when I say that I ABHOR summer weather in the South. I'm never out during the day because of it. I'm dead serious when I say that I have gone a week without leaving my house during the day, primarily because the weather sucks. I will gladly take the colder winters over the brutal summers. I don't know what it is, but I find the heat worse the than the cold since it feels more oppressive for some reason.
I wish I could do that. Too bad telecommuting and having all my classes online aren't options for me.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM

195 posts, read 673,028 times
I moved back to Canada because I found the North too conservative. Only Cali or Seattle could bring me back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.