Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
I absolutely hate NC. My husband is not fond of the place either. Racism is still a problem here and no one really seems to care they just along with it. The area around Charlotte is VERY rural and very church orientated. We are not church goers not in the slightest....... Everything is so spaced out here its ridiculous. And I have found southern hospitality to be a fake. It's different when you are just visiting the south but living there is a whole different ball game. We are faced with

hearing gunshots by and sometimes hitting our house
seeing confederate flags
higher cost of living
poor road conditions
poor living conditions like seeing animal tied to trees with no fresh water or food...nearly breaks my heart as i am an animal lover
boring, unhealthy food choices no good Italian or ethnic foods
several break-ins
blunt and upfront racism
no street lights on the roads
religion everywhere

not saying these are bad things for everybody but we never had these problems while living in NYC metro area and the DMV ( dc-maryland-virginia) area. i would pack up my belongings and move back to NYC or DC in a heartbeat if given the chance. i do not like this area at all.
I'll say it again. Do you honestly think this represents all of the South? If so, how would you characterize the North? Keep in mind that your description MUST include ALL of the North. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the Dakotas-west are "the West". That just leaves Minnesota to Maine, from the Canadian border to the Mason-Dixon.

Go on. Describe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 PM

475 posts, read 684,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Thanks for your input Drayb3, but I actually was looking more of a response from people who live in the southern U.S. (i.e. Georgia, NC, Florida, Tennessee, Texas). Philly is still the Northeast and is still sort of home for me since I only lived 30 miles away back in the day.
Yeah, the depth of "northern living" experiences you must have because of your proximity to Philly and NYC during your first 4-5 years of life. Whether you're interested in moving or not, your default lifestyle is the Tennessee lifestyle if you've been there since you were 5 (per your original post). You wouldn't be "returning" to the NE in the sense the post suggests, you'd be doing something completely new (sans a few summer trips).

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Were you always planning on going back to Massachusetts after college? Or were you thinking of staying in the South after college at one point?

Like you, I went to high school in Massachusetts and college in the Sunbelt. But I don't have a desire to go back to Massachusetts after college.
I was open to pretty much anything when I went down South.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Come to Tampa, it never hits 100 degrees.
But the humidity makes it FEEL like it!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
taking in leaving on the ac 24/7 during the dreaded summer humidity and owning a car really adds on to the cost of living. public transportation is horrible here compared to nyc and dc. it is pretty expensive compared to the quality of life here. we cant wait to put our house on the market.
Who in their right mind would move to Charlotte expecting to find the same amenities/lifestyle as NYC/DC?

This is a perfect example of how people do not have a sense of reality when they move to new regions.

And it seems as if the only people who do this are those that move from the north to the south.

You wont find someone moving from NC/SC/VA/GA/etc. up to NYC/Boston/DC/etc. and expecting any of these cities to be like where it was they moved from. Common Sense would tell them that adjustments would have to be made and that they would have to adapt to a more northern lifestyle. But Northerners (most, not all) move south and are shocked, angry, and outraged as if they did not know they would have to adjust to a new lifestyle. .....And then proceed to dump on and trash talk their current location.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Who in their right mind would move to Charlotte expecting to find the same amenities/lifestyle as NYC/DC?

This is a perfect example of how people do not have a sense of reality when they move to new regions.

And it seems as if the only people who do this are those that move from the north to the south.

You wont find someone moving from NC/SC/VA/GA/etc. up to NYC/Boston/DC/etc. and expecting any of these cities to be like where it was they moved from. Common Sense would tell them that adjustments would have to be made and that they would have to adapt to a more northern lifestyle. But Northerners (most, not all) move south and are shocked, angry, and outraged as if they did not know they would have to adjust to a new lifestyle. .....And then proceed to dump on and trash talk their current location.
Additionally...I can't understand why some people move to the outer edges of a city and expect it to be urban. It normally isn't. Why move to the farflung suburbs of Charlotte with expectations of city life?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM

166 posts, read 611,867 times
I kind of agree with what VA7cities is saying about people moving to new locations and expecting it to be just like where they grew up themselves. I've been to Jersey enough and know through many cousins and other family members what living in there is like. I know about the cold weather (have visited during January and use to visit Chicago almost every winter so I know all about the sh*tty winter weather). I know that my aunt and uncle bought a 2,000 sp foot house in Hamilton for just under $500,000 and pay about 8 to 9 thousand a year in property tax. I also know that groceries are cheaper and that sales tax is not applied to everything that you buy (unlike TN). And I am more than familiar on how people in NJ do not pump their own gas (which still makes no sense to me whatsoever).

Whenever you move somewhere, you got to be smart when knowing about you're getting into. I really do know what moving to Jersey is going to entail: higher taxes, higher housing costs, more harsh winters (but less humid summers, this one notwithstanding), more "on-the-run" attitude.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
I do notice that a lot of times it is people expecting it to be similar to where they come from. Also how strong is the culture shock to people? Although on that front it likely depends on where they left and where they moved to that determines the degree of it. I figured some of that might be lessened if there are a number of people where you are from that determines how much of a shock it is.

Another big factor is if there as an urban/rural difference where one goes to the other and vice-versa. That is a more general difference unrelated to regions.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
what is "Northern Culture"?
The Northern culture is very different from the Southern Culture. The South eats more fatty food then the North, Also older people think they can get away with things just because they are older and think they can talk down to younger people. There you have it.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
The Northern culture is very different from the Southern Culture. The South eats more fatty food then the North, Also older people think they can get away with things just because they are older and think they can talk down to younger people. There you have it.
What?????

Absolutely hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.