Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:37 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
The Mason-Dixon Line and all that is really beside the point. I visited Fells Point, the "hip" neighborhood, and yet still there was a sea of mullets, and pronunciations like "faar" for fire (pretty much the most basic aspect of a Southern accent). And, just to clarify, this was mainly among white people. So I would attribute all of this, along with the infamous "hon" culture, to Southernness, not to the large black population.

Ever noticed that old-time Marylanders say "ray-oad" for road, just like they do in Georgia? And "ay-ohs" for the Orioles?
That's not Southern. I don't know what it is. It sounds more California surfer dude than Southern.

You dont hear this kind of O sound in the South

Maryland Accent - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
That's not Southern. I don't know what it is. It sounds more California surfer dude than Southern.

Well I know someone from Georgia with a strong Southern accent, who says her "o"s that way, but maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe it descends directly from the English colonies, since they do say it that way across the pond.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

*drool*

She can say whatever she wants as far as I'm concerned! As long as she lets me....uh...talk to her.

Apologies to the Ladies out there.....Old Dirty Man comin' through!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
The Mason-Dixon Line and all that is really beside the point. I visited Fells Point, the "hip" neighborhood, and yet still there was a sea of mullets, and pronunciations like "faar" for fire (pretty much the most basic aspect of a Southern accent). And, just to clarify, this was mainly among white people. So I would attribute all of this, along with the infamous "hon" culture, to Southernness, not to the large black population.

Ever noticed that old-time Marylanders say "ray-oad" for road, just like they do in Georgia? And "ay-ohs" for the Orioles?
I have never noticed that at all....I know now nobody who pronounces Orioles in that manner or railroad like that, even in the state of Georgia. If you think "faar" is a basic aspect of the southern accent, that pronunciation extends above the Mason-Dixon line, and not always is it accompanied by a southern accent. "Faar" has to be accompanied by "y'all", "I'm fixin'", i pronounced is "ah", an emphasis on the o's, etc. Regardless, dialect maps don't agree with your findings. I myself have been to both Maryland and Baltimore...what I heard was more South Midland than Southern...there were some southern influences, but not nearly enough that i'd call it a southern accent.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore needs some Waffle Houses. Until then, it's just not southern enough.
I'm not sure Waffle Houses are going to make it any more southern. Waffle Houses have been numerous in number north of the Mason-Dixon line for a long time now. Ohio, for example, has 64 located in the entire state, with a good chunk concentrated in the Northern part. I'm not sure it's possible for Baltimore to become southern at this point unless southerners invade it like northerners invaded florida.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
*drool*

She can say whatever she wants as far as I'm concerned! As long as she lets me....uh...talk to her.

Apologies to the Ladies out there.....Old Dirty Man comin' through!
LOL, i'm loving this just as much as you, and i'm not old or dirty This woman is Elizabeth Banks, and yes, she is fiiine. SHe is from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, so yeah, this proves an EXCELLENT point. Ears can often play tricks on us...just because somebody sounds southern doesn't mean you're actually hearing a southern accent, or that they are from the south. She was in "40 Year Old Virgin" and "Role Models." She's a famous actress. Here's an article about her.

Elizabeth Banks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm not sure Waffle Houses are going to make it any more southern. Waffle Houses have been numerous in number north of the Mason-Dixon line for a long time now. Ohio, for example, has 64 located in the entire state, with a good chunk concentrated in the Northern part. I'm not sure it's possible for Baltimore to become southern at this point unless southerners invade it like northerners invaded florida.
Funny thing is that southerners invaded Baltimore in the early to mid 1900's (the great migration), but Baltimore was considered less southern after they've arrived .

Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Funny thing is that southerners invaded Baltimore in the early to mid 1900's (the great migration), but Baltimore was considered less southern after they've arrived .
Exactly. A lot of people fail to realize a lot of "northern" cities (however you want to use that term) have a lot of southern influences in them from the southern migration.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Its an odd circumstance but yes that's what eventually happened overtime!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,668 times
for a little while Gettysburg PA was the northernmost southern city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.