Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Count me among those who have no desire to acknowledge, visit, or even take seriously a segment of the country that is painted red each election year. I find the racial history of the South and its continuing reputation as a haven for bigots to be absolutely appalling. Any area of the country that is favored by the likes of Strom Thurmond, David Duke, Jesse Helms, Palin, Limbaugh, and so forth is not an area that I care about. Not in the least.

The South's image is a very hard sell...and this is an understatement.
Learn your reconstruction history. Or just continue to be ignorant and just as bigoted as you believe we are. Your call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
"You really should give us a chance, and stop being the person you think you are rallying against (??????)........"

saying one (or something) is racist, doesn't make that person a racist.
Precisely. Positing that the south voted red for racist reasons and the rest of the red counties did not should be a prime example of this truth.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default My apologies

I don't mean to slam the South. I know some fine people and relatives from that region and my apologies to those of you who are from the South who are not bigoted and clinging to conservative, racist values.

I do continue to have nothing but disdain to those of you from the South (or anywhere for that matter) who are bigoted and supporters of the conservative ideology. Given the region's political leanings and reputation for racial insensitivity, does the image of the region suffer? You bet!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
I would never live in the South, but I've always wanted to visit. Since I saw Forrest Gump it seems so charming and everytime I think of the south I think of beautiful big willows drooping over a long driveway into a big Georgia plantation house. Idk it seems very nice to me. Then of course there is the not so appealing side one might think of. Such as white trash rednecks with shotguns sitting on their trailer park porch down the street from the bayou. But I'm sure that image is not as widespread as people make it seem.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
"You really should give us a chance, and stop being the person you think you are rallying against (??????)........"

saying one (or something) is racist, doesn't make that person a racist.
Racists are bigots for judging someone for the color of their skin, where you are judging us based on where we live and events that happened nearly 50 years ago.

Wasn't calling you a racist.

Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective
big·ot·ed·ly adverb

Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I don't mean to slam the South. I know some fine people and relatives from that region and my apologies to those of you who are from the South who are not bigoted and clinging to conservative, racist values.

I do continue to have nothing but disdain to those of you from the South (or anywhere for that matter) who are bigoted and supporters of the conservative ideology. Given the region's political leanings and reputation for racial insensitivity, does the image of the region suffer? You bet!
I am conservative, but that doesn't make me racist. One has nothing to do with the other.

Conservative ideology? How about Liberal ideology?

Liberals favor special attention to protecting members of a particular race or ethnic group from inequality, expecting racial harmony to ensue.

Conservatives favor equal rights and opportunities for everyone regardless of race or ethnicity, without giving special treatment to anyone.

Let the flames begin, but those are my views.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
To the original poster, the negative image of the South, in this day and time, is primarily only a west coast thing, particularly Californian (and a few areas in the northeast). I suppose the vast distance between the regions and the isolation leading to less travel into the South has led perhaps a majority of west coasters to not break free from the lies perpetrated by Hollywood television shows and movies.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Learn your reconstruction history. Or just continue to be ignorant and just as bigoted as you believe we are. Your call.
The thing is, I don't find anything negative with any of the individuals mentioned in his post. They've all been "tarred and feathered" by a left wing media, nothing more.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I am conservative, but that doesn't make me racist. One has nothing to do with the other.

Conservative ideology? How about Liberal ideology?

Liberals favor special attention to protecting members of a particular race or ethnic group from inequality, expecting racial harmony to ensue.

Conservatives favor equal rights and opportunities for everyone regardless of race or ethnicity, without giving special treatment to anyone.

Let the flames begin, but those are my views.
Don't let the guy get you riled up. There's a reason why people who are of such political persuasiion are often called *******s, and why come November, they're likely to not to hold political power for a very long time.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
As a proud Alabamian, I get tired of all the negative stereotypes on this forum and in the media. However, I am not going to try to convince anyone to move to the South. I like it just like it is, and if more people move in, it might become like other areas of the country, overcrowded. I will keep the ability to jump in my car and get where I want to go without fighting traffic, a place where my neighbors actually know my name and care about me, the safety of being able to walk in my neighborhood at night and not worry about being assaulted or shot, a slower, gentler pace of life, accents that soothe with their gentle cadence rather than hurt my ears with their harsh sounds, cooking that is out of this world, the best looking people I have seen in this country, and the freedom to worship or not as I see fit. The South is a region that likes its own, and doesn't try to conform to what the rest of the world wants. Why would we want to sell our image? Stay home and let us live in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.