Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Anyone who places Baltimore and D.C. in the south is an idiot.
Both cities have a strong Southern legacy. Ask any old timer who grew up in either city and they will tell you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I think with Baltimore, it was but a longer time ago than with Washington DC. I think it changed about the same time St. Louis changed in the 2nd half of the 19th century and for the same reason which is immigration.
No, later than that. Balto had Jim Crow laws well into the 20th century.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
The reason, I didn't put West Virginia down is because, it went to further lengths then Kentucky or Missouri to stay in the union aka seceding from Virginia.

Also, I don't like West Virginia

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
The difference is, you know people from Maryland, I was born, raised, and currently live in Maryland. I dont have to ask people on C-D, I can ask family, friends, co-workers; None of which consider themselves southern in any way, shape or form.

I dont view the South in a negative manner, that was the past. That region of the country is progressing more than any other region in the country....They also have the Sexiest women in the country; DC and Philly too.
The main thing is...who really cares which region it's in? It's not important enough to worry about.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
The reason, I didn't put West Virginia down is because, it went to further lengths then Kentucky or Missouri to stay in the union aka seceding from Virginia.

Also, I don't like West Virginia
Well, you either like it or you don't. That's neither here nor there. But your history is not correct, in fact West Virginia gave a higher percentage of its soldiers to the Confederacy than either Kentucky or Missouri.
You can continue to dislike it. Just don't use false history to justify it.

West Virginia - The Other History: County Confederate Recruitment

West Virginia - The Other History: West Virginia Secession Map

And don't be fooled by the traditional figure of 32,000 Union troops, that number is highly inflated. Even the WV Archives doesn't accept it anymore.

Quote:
While many historians have traditionally placed the number of Union troops enlisted in West Virginia at a much higher figure than Confederates, more recent studies suggest there were almost as many southern troops as northern.
http://www.wvculture.org/history/wvcivilwar.html

Old 07-24-2010, 04:11 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I can understand Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Saint Louis. Not that I think they're Southern, but I can see why people might place them in the South.

But Pittsburgh? How could anyone think Pittsburgh is part of the South?

its seems like people try to put all kinds of cities into the South, Is it really South anymore when you start including St.Louis, Pittsburgh,Cincy, or Baltimore, might as well make another region and call it Northern South, or Yankee South, and might as well throw in a few other cities, like Milwaukee,Chicago,Philly,Hartford and Detroit,and Des Moines, oh, and Omaha.

Is the South even unique anymore if it takes up almost all of the country?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
its seems like people try to put all kinds of cities into the South, Is it really South anymore when you start including St.Louis, Pittsburgh,Cincy, or Baltimore, might as well make another region and call it Northern South, or Yankee South, and might as well throw in a few other cities, like Milwaukee,Chicago,Philly,Hartford and Detroit,and Des Moines, oh, and Omaha.

Is the South even unique anymore if it takes up almost all of the country?
It is interetsing that the cities listed at the beginning of this quote seem to have more unique individual quirks that seperate them from other cities further North. I wonder if being close to the North/South division causes cities to develop their own unique culture more since they are periferal to any cores of a culture?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
You are a funny dude...lmao!!
Why do you keep harassing Marylanders about us being southern...NO ONE IN MD AGREES WITH YOU. That civil war period is gone, The mason dixon line is obsolete, being a divider between North and South was NOT its original purpose. So, I ask you, why do you keep harassing us???

Baltimore held on to its original culture more so than any other city on the east coast, Do we act southern to you??

You are funny as hell tho, I'll give you that...lol
And you are crazy as hell to not accept Maryland for being a Southern State....

Maryland is a Southern State whether you like it or not........

Old 07-31-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Agreed. I'd also like to point out -- something that many people tend to forget with regard to Maryland -- that it was never even considered a Southern state but a border state; so it's not like it was ever part of the Confederacy despite being below the Mason-Dixon Line.
LYING to yourself is not going to change the fact that Maryland is a Southern State.......

Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What is "act southern" to you? I think that is the bigger question rather than the question of whether Maryland is southern or not. So many people have a distorted and unreasonably negative view of "southern" that they can't actually believe they live in a southern state...because it doesn't fit their stereotype of "southern".

I've known plenty of people from Maryland who identified with the South. Just because there is a majority on city-data who agree with your opinion doesn't mean that it transfers to the real world.
And there you have it Ladies and Gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.