Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:02 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
This is what I consider Southern :

Virginia
N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Georgia
Missouri
Mississippi
Alabama
Arkansas
Louisiana
Kentucky
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Texas
Florida
Your Opinion doesn't Count as Facts especially when it comes to not accepting Maryland as a Southern State..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well done and accurate IMHO. This also reflects the states (with exceptions noted below) where a majority of the residents consider themselves to live in the South and consider themselves Southerners.

Only quibbles I would make?

West Virginia be given some mention. Bobilee has made a persuasive case that it has gotten a raw deal in many ways, as to being part of the South. True, only a slight majority do not consider themselves part of the South, but at the least, I think most of us would not consider it "yankee"! LOL

Also, Missouri I have less hesitation about excluding from the "Greater South." It has very definite Southern roots and history, but it was very divided during the WBTS, and a decided majority of residents do not consider themselves part of the South.

I guess it really comes down to (and again this is minor) I would generally include West Virginia...but by the same opposite degree of opinion...exclude Missouri. But as always, just my own worthless two cents worth! Yikes!
Thank goodness that the Majority of Educated Americans don't agree to this out right Ignorance of what is stated above......

Old 07-31-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fair but you could also argue the migration to more tolerant areas, the most Southern at the being Philly may have had some influence as well as the underground railroad network which is all over and well documented in the area.

If anything though in all honesty and i am trying to start a war, this AA population is more the norm than the exception in the north so I am not 100% sure it holds up completely. In that respect Boston is the outlier.

In some ways I think the reach of the Ivy leagues is indicitive of the North or NE from the time, when there was a greater disparity in tolerance and education between the two (North and South). Those diferances are becoming less and less everyday and have excelrated in recnt times.

Today i would still put the biggest line south of NOVA, most of VA feels more Southern than Northern, MD has pockets but not like south of NOVA unless you get out on the eastern shore. Western MD is more like appalachia WV and PA, some hints too but not the more prounounced change that happens a little south of NOVA.
Either way Maryland is a Southern State.........

Old 07-31-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
The difference is, you know people from Maryland, I was born, raised, and currently live in Maryland. I dont have to ask people on C-D, I can ask family, friends, co-workers; None of which consider themselves southern in any way, shape or form.

I dont view the South in a negative manner, that was the past. That region of the country is progressing more than any other region in the country....They also have the Sexiest women in the country; DC and Philly too.
There are people from Virginia that refuse to accept the state being Southern but that don't stop you Carolina-Georgia Folks from claiming Virginia as a Southern State...............

Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
The reason, I didn't put West Virginia down is because, it went to further lengths then Kentucky or Missouri to stay in the union aka seceding from Virginia.

Also, I don't like West Virginia
And by judging the way you talk crap about Maryland I see that the only reason you refuse to accept Maryland as a Southern State is due to Bitter Unknown Hatred Biasness that you have against Maryland...............

The crazy part about it is that there are alot of Folx like you down in the Carolina's and Georgia that carry this unreasonable Hatred towards the state of Maryland...............

Old 07-31-2010, 03:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Maryland and Missouri are more Northern than Southern. The major population centers in both states are northern, as is every part of each state to the latitudinal north of them. Only a small part of the southern and southeastern part of each state could really be considered Southern.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And you are crazy as hell to not accept Maryland for being a Southern State....

Maryland is a Southern State whether you like it or not........
Quote:
LYING to yourself is not going to change the fact that Maryland is a Southern State.......
Quote:
And there you have it Ladies and Gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Your Opinion doesn't Count as Facts especially when it comes to not accepting Maryland as a Southern State..........
Quote:
Thank goodness that the Majority of Educated Americans don't agree to this out right Ignorance of what is stated above......
Quote:
Either way Maryland is a Southern State.........
Quote:
There are people from Virginia that refuse to accept the state being Southern but that don't stop you Carolina-Georgia Folks from claiming Virginia as a Southern State...............
Quote:
And by judging the way you talk crap about Maryland I see that the only reason you refuse to accept Maryland as a Southern State is due to Bitter Unknown Hatred Biasness that you have against Maryland...............

The crazy part about it is that there are alot of Folx like you down in the Carolina's and Georgia that carry this unreasonable Hatred towards the state of Maryland...............

See how I did that? you can click the little button to the right of the "quote" button and that way you can quote multiple people in one post. If you are making a point (let's say, for example: Maryland is southern and I think everyone is an idiot") you can do it more effectively by quoting everyone you disagree with, and the responding to them. Or, you could even respond to each one independently. Either way, it's a better option than making everyone else read 8 consecutive posts by you saying the exact same thing.

Last edited by TheWereRabbit; 07-31-2010 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Miscounted how many posts. 8 is still outrageous.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Maryland and Missouri are more Northern than Southern. The major population centers in both states are northern, as is every part of each state to the latitudinal north of them. Only a small part of the southern and southeastern part of each state could really be considered Southern.
Again opinions which can not be defined as the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State..........

Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
See how I did that? you can click the little button to the right of the "quote" button and that way you can quote multiple people in one post. If you are making a point (let's say, for example: Maryland is southern and I think everyone is an idiot") you can do it more effectively by quoting everyone you disagree with, and the responding to them. Or, you could even respond to each one independently. Either way, it's a better option than making everyone else read 8 consecutive posts by you saying the exact same thing.
Thanks for your input I'll try to remember that next time........

Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
=TheWereRabbit;15280657]See how I did that? you can click the little button to the right of the "quote" button and that way you can quote multiple people in one post. If you are making a point (let's say, for example: Maryland is southern and I think everyone is an idiot") you can do it more effectively by quoting everyone you disagree with, and the responding to them. Or, you could even respond to each one independently. Either way, it's a better option than making everyone else read 8 consecutive posts by you saying the exact same thing.
LMAO. Thanks, TWR. Maybe the poster will take your suggestion and rest of us will not have to read the same drivel over and over again. If so, we are in your debt, sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.